Steeples?

Old January 28th 13, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Steeples?

On 2013-01-28 13:24:18 -0800, Tony Cooper said:

When's "Steeples" due?

February 10, 2013

Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good
color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a
Catholic church.

With most everything around here being "mission" style, and very
unsteeple like, we don't have too much in terms of phallic steeples to
be found. Unless I can dig up some steeple analogs I might not have any
suitable images to contribute this time around.

Savageduck

Old January 28th 13, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
DanP[_3_]

On 2013-01-28 13:24:18 -0800, Tony Cooper
said:

When's "Steeples" due?

February 10, 2013

Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good
color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a Catholic
church.

With most everything around here being "mission" style, and very
unsteeple like, we don't have too much in terms of phallic steeples to
be found. Unless I can dig up some steeple analogs I might not have any
suitable images to contribute this time around.

Cheat, find something that looks like one and shoot into the Sun.

DanP
Old January 29th 13, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On 2013-01-28 13:24:18 -0800, Tony Cooper said:

When's "Steeples" due?

February 10, 2013

Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good
color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a
Catholic church.

With most everything around here being "mission" style, and very
unsteeple like, we don't have too much in terms of phallic steeples to
be found. Unless I can dig up some steeple analogs I might not have any
suitable images to contribute this time around.

Come as close as you can. I think this mandate is more specific than I
thought it would be. My bad. I live in NE, and the damned things are
everywhere.
Old January 29th 13, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2013-01-28 13:24:18 -0800, Tony Cooper said:

When's "Steeples" due?

February 10, 2013

Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good
color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a
Catholic church.

With most everything around here being "mission" style, and very
unsteeple like, we don't have too much in terms of phallic steeples to
be found. Unless I can dig up some steeple analogs I might not have any
suitable images to contribute this time around.

I have the same problem. What's more I have been laid up after having
several skin cancers chopped out of my leg. I think I am unashamedly
going to have to pull some interesting steeples from out of the
collection of steeples I photographed in Europe last year (Ops! Its
now the year before last).

Eric Stevens
Old January 29th 13, 04:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:39:56 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:
: On 2013-01-28 13:24:18 -0800, Tony Cooper said:
:
: When's "Steeples" due?
:
: February 10, 2013
:
: Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good
: color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a
: Catholic church.
:
: With most everything around here being "mission" style, and very
: unsteeple like, we don't have too much in terms of phallic steeples to
: be found. Unless I can dig up some steeple analogs I might not have any
: suitable images to contribute this time around.

Let's face it, Duck: for this mandate, ya gotta live in New England. ;^)

Bob
Old January 29th 13, 04:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:
: On 2013-01-28 13:24:18 -0800, Tony Cooper said:
:
: When's "Steeples" due?
:
: February 10, 2013
:
: Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good
: color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a
: Catholic church.
:
: With most everything around here being "mission" style, and very
: unsteeple like, we don't have too much in terms of phallic steeples to
: be found. Unless I can dig up some steeple analogs I might not have any
: suitable images to contribute this time around.

Let's face it, Duck: for this mandate, ya gotta live in New England. ;^)

Bob

Yup! I'm not sure who all those folks back East are trying to impress
by waving those steeples around. Perhaps there are other inadequacies
which have to be compensated for by the various New Testament
denominations. ;-)

Anyway I am going to give it a try and see if I can come up with
something to meet the ...er spirit of the mandate.

Savageduck

Old January 29th 13, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 2013-01-28 13:24:18 -0800, Tony Cooper said:

When's "Steeples" due?

February 10, 2013

Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good
color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a
Catholic church.

With most everything around here being "mission" style, and very
unsteeple like, we don't have too much in terms of phallic steeples to
be found. Unless I can dig up some steeple analogs I might not have any
suitable images to contribute this time around.

My submissions will be traditional steeple with spires, but I would
include bell towers and mission towers in the mandate. Actually, a
"steeple" is a tall tower and what we picture as a steeple is the
tower plus the spire. It's still a steeple without the spire. Many
steeples don't have spires.

The word itself is from the Old English for "tower".

Just to add to this, here's another reject:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/Mt%...Est%201856.jpg

This is the Mount Zion Primitive Baptist Church built in 1896 near Mt
Dora, Florida. It's a steeple - a tower - but no spire. I don't
think a spire is a requirement at all. A Greek Orthodox church in
downtown Orlando has a tower with dome atop, and not a spire, and
that's a steeple.

One of the most famous movie scenes ("Vertigo")involved Jimmy Stewart
in the tower, or steeple, at Mission San Juan Bautista south of San
Francisco. Stewart played the role of a retired cop, too. It
should be right up your alley.

There is no spire at Mission San Juan Bautista.

So to what do you aspire?

--
PeterN
Old January 29th 13, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-01-28 13:24:18 -0800, Tony Cooper said:

When's "Steeples" due?

[...]

There isn't much of a tower at San Juan Bautista either.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_Bautista.jpg

I had already used the adobe brick bell tower at Mission San Miguel in
a past SI.
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/138736617/original

Savageduck

Old January 29th 13, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Graham[_4_]

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 08:19:50 -0800, Savageduck,
news:2013012908195088124-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom expounded this
theory:

There isn't much of a tower at San Juan Bautista either.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_Bautista.jpg

I had already used the adobe brick bell tower at Mission San Miguel in
a past SI.
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/138736617/original

How about if I submit some to help you all out? No shortage of
steeples, spires, pinnacles or other pointed adornments to buildings
etc here in England.

--
Graham
Comments and criticism welcome

Old January 29th 13, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-01-28 13:24:18 -0800, Tony Cooper said:

When's "Steeples" due?

[...]

BTW:

The "Vertigo" tower was not original. It was a Hitchcock Scale model
set construction, built at Paramount studios of wood, papier mache and
matte paintings and no longer exists. It was never on location at San
Juan Bautista. The stair case was a studio construction.

The original spire on which the Hitchcock tower was based was damaged
in an earthquake and demolished after a fire. It was never part of the
original mission construction, so it was not part of the Hearst
Foundation restoration. The Hearst Foundation has been responsible for
the restoration of two California missions which are on or neighboring
Hearst property. The other is Mission De San Antonio, located on Hearst
property within the Fort Hunter-Liggett Reservation in Monterey County.