Zeiss on Canon

Old October 6th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Spam This

Default Zeiss on Canon

"piterengel" wrote in message
Hi all. I've recently bought a Canon EOS 40D. I have a complete set of
Zeiss lenses, manual focus. I know there are adapters to mount these
lenses on 40D. I'm inetrested on using 60 macro on digital camera and
a guy in Italy has a "adapter ring with chip". He told me that chip is
for "say" to the body tha focus is ok. My answer is: can I use 60
macro on 40D with this adapter?
Many thanks to all.
P.

It's ok, but you lose all automatic features of the camera. So you end up
with 1960's features on your 2008 camera.

Old October 6th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Spam This

On 6 Ott, 20:44, "Spam This" wrote:
"piterengel" wrote in message

Hi all. I've recently bought a Canon EOS 40D. I have a complete set of
Zeiss lenses, manual focus. I know there are adapters to mount these
lenses on 40D. I'm inetrested on using 60 macro on digital camera and
a guy in Italy has a "adapter ring with chip". He told me that chip is
for "say" to the body tha focus is ok. My answer is: can I use 60
macro on 40D with this adapter?
Many thanks to all.
P.

It's ok, but you lose all automatic features of the camera. So you end up
with 1960's features on your 2008 camera.

You're right but for me the most important thing is quality. So I'd
like to try faboulous Zeiss 60 macro on digital camera. The adapter is
not so expensive... By now thanks.

Except at the end of the day, it's just another Japanese made lens.

Old October 7th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Spam This wrote:
"piterengel" wrote in message
Hi all. I've recently bought a Canon EOS 40D. I have a complete set of
Zeiss lenses, manual focus. I know there are adapters to mount these
lenses on 40D. I'm inetrested on using 60 macro on digital camera and
a guy in Italy has a "adapter ring with chip". He told me that chip is
for "say" to the body tha focus is ok. My answer is: can I use 60
macro on 40D with this adapter?
Many thanks to all.
P.

It's ok, but you lose all automatic features of the camera. So you end up
with 1960's features on your 2008 camera.

Including that Zeiss 1960's glass. Sounds pretty damned good.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old October 7th 08, 07:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paddy's Pig

"Spam This" wrote in message ...

Except at the end of the day, it's just another Japanese made lens.

That's a crazy response.

Ordinarily I think of Zeiss lenses as German but it's possible Zeiss may
have out-sourced the lens. O wouldn't care.

The point - after all is said and done - is - are the pics okay?

I wouldn't give a damn if the lens was made in Mexico if the answer was
"Si!".

I own a Nikon D70 and a D80 and have several lenses built specifically for
them. I won't go into their countries of origin. All the lenses are
Nikkors and are fully automated.

I have found that a couple of Nikkor lenses I used on my old Nikon F2 35mm
camera can produce WONDERFUL results on my DSLR's - even though using them
obviously means none of the automation works. Hell, I don't care! What I
care about is the fact that, being prime lenses - not zooms - they tend to
be sharper and have less pincushion and barrel distortion. I like that.
They won't focus automatically and I have to do exposures manually but hell
I usually shoot in manual mode anyway so the only thing I've got to worry
about is focusing since I'm used to making a few test shots to check
exposure anyway.

I don't know much about the adapter ring. I'd be concerned that if it adds
additional space between the focal plane and the front element of the lens
that it might act as an extension ring and I might not be able to focus on
infinity. Maybe with a macro lens you wouldn't care about that anyway.
--
Pat Durkin - shooting with Nikon F2 film, Mamiya C330 film, Nikon D70 and
D80 digital

Old October 7th 08, 09:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Spam This wrote:
"piterengel" wrote in message

Hi all. I've recently bought a Canon EOS 40D. I have a complete set of
Zeiss lenses, manual focus. I know there are adapters to mount these
lenses on 40D. I'm inetrested on using 60 macro on digital camera and
a guy in Italy has a "adapter ring with chip". He told me that chip is
for "say" to the body tha focus is ok. My answer is: can I use 60
macro on 40D with this adapter?
Many thanks to all.
P.

It's ok, but you lose all automatic features of the camera. So you end up
with 1960's features on your 2008 camera.

Those of us who spent many happy hours taking photographs with 1960s
cameras may not find that prospect as daunting as youngsters who can't
understand why their DSLR has a manual mode, since it always produces
much worse shots than auto. What's more, a 2008 camera with a 1960
lens has a lot of rather useful modern features still available for
use which were not available in the 1960s.

--
Chris Malcolm, IPAB, School of Informatics,
Informatics Forum, 10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh EH8 9AB

Old October 7th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
michael adams

"Spam This" wrote in message ...

"piterengel" wrote in message
Hi all. I've recently bought a Canon EOS 40D. I have a complete set of
Zeiss lenses, manual focus. I know there are adapters to mount these
lenses on 40D. I'm inetrested on using 60 macro on digital camera and
a guy in Italy has a "adapter ring with chip". He told me that chip is
for "say" to the body tha focus is ok. My answer is: can I use 60
macro on 40D with this adapter?
Many thanks to all.
P.

It's ok, but you lose all automatic features of the camera. So you end up
with 1960's features on your 2008 camera.

Especially if you select "1960's Review Mode".

That's the the one that gives you the option of having to wait for one hour,
four hours, two days, or a week before you can review the photograph you've
just taken.

michael adams

Old October 7th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Chris Malcolm wrote:
Spam This wrote:

It's ok, but you lose all automatic features of the camera. So you end up
with 1960's features on your 2008 camera.

Those of us who spent many happy hours taking photographs with 1960s
cameras may not find that prospect as daunting as youngsters [...]

1960ies SLRs had split prisms, microprism collars and ground
glass designes for accurate focussing. In 2008, ground glass
is brighter, but sports no focussing help and trades off manual
focussing capabilities for said brightness.

What's more, a 2008 camera with a 1960
lens has a lot of rather useful modern features still available for
use which were not available in the 1960s.

There are third party ground glass with all these goodies
available, though they will change the light reaching the metering,
and thus sometimes need some correction.

-Wolfgang
Old October 7th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Spam This wrote:

Except at the end of the day, it's just another Japanese made lens.

Hmm, so the advantages of Zeiss design coupled to the advantages of
Japanese manufacturing.

Sounds pretty good to me.

I have a Sony made Carl Zeiss lens, the 135 f/1.8, and the results are
extremely good. Sharp, contrasty, full frame wonder. I paid about
CAD$1400 for it.

Had it made by CZ, the price would have been much, much higher I expect.

Next two lenses for the 35mm format are the Sony made Carl Zeiss 85mm
f/1.4 and 16-35 f/2.8.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old October 21st 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
*[_2_]

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"Spam This" wrote in message ...

Except at the end of the day, it's just another Japanese made lens.

That's a crazy response.

Ordinarily I think of Zeiss lenses as German but it's possible Zeiss may
have out-sourced the lens. O wouldn't care.

Zeiss is just rebadging outsourced lenses. You people think Leitz and Zeiss
are gods, well newsflash they aren't.

Old October 21st 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

* wrote:
"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"Spam This" wrote in message

Except at the end of the day, it's just another Japanese made
lens.

That's a crazy response.

Ordinarily I think of Zeiss lenses as German but it's possible
Zeiss
may have out-sourced the lens. O wouldn't care.

Zeiss is just rebadging outsourced lenses. You people think Leitz
and
Zeiss are gods, well newsflash they aren't.

So under what other brands are, say, the Planar T 2/100 or the
Noctilux 1.0/50 sold?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)