Mr. Knoppow... or...

Old March 8th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Default Mr. Knoppow... or...

On 3/8/2008 11:03 AM erie patsellis spake thus:

While we all know that this is an expensive hobby, I'd add that
unless you spend $$$ on your LF equipment, you'll feel out of place.

Heaven forbid you advocate using a Componon lens as a taking lens,
you're likely to be run out on rails. Building a camera? some will
say it looks nice, but the general response will be "yeah, but my
Canham (or Wista, Sinar, Chaminox, etc) is more precise, blah, blah,
blah. Of course those of us who just can't afford Richard Ritter's
new 20x24 camera, but want to shoot ULF are heretics, how can it
possibly be precise, etc. I could go on for hours, but I'll bite my
tongue and leave it at the majority of the people there are photo
elitists, and camera fondlers. (I do own a few Sinars, bought for far
less then market value (even today's very depressed prices) but
enjoy my homebuilt cameras much more.)

Just so you know, some of ur here don't necessarily indulge in the
elitist crap that you've accurately described here. For instance, I love
my humble Crown Graphic, my old Velbon tripod bought at the flea market,
my Elwood 5x7 enlarger (with old Kodak Anastigmat lenses); heck, I even
shoot pinhole from time to time (with homemade cameras, natch).
Old March 8th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
erie patsellis

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Quite well aware, have been a (mostly lurking) participant since probably late 80's or so
(84 if you include DECnet and the mailing list version of the LF group), back when usenet
was worth a crap.

While my Sinars are nice when I have the time, or strength and patience to schlep around
monstrous pelican 1650's, my homemade 8x10 field with a handful of older lenses suits me
just fine most of the time, and tends to stay in the van with me, along with my ancient
tiltall that supports it just fine.

I love my Elwood 5x7, in fact right now it's the only enlarger I have set up, my 10x10 is
in storage and both Omegas are too.

I grew up dirt poor, and enjoyed the things that I created with my own hands, then out of
necessity, now because of either features lacking, or too many, or just because I can.

erie
Old March 9th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"erie patsellis" wrote in message
David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

For what its worth I have old cameras mostly bought at
bargain prices when they were available. I probably shoot
more pictures on 35mm than any other format simply because
the camera is light and portable but I also shoot quite a
bit of 4x5, again because the cameras are tractible. I have
two 8x10 view cameras, a Calumet C-1 and an Agfa/Ansco
Universal View. For some reason I like the Agfa camera
better for field use although neither is a lightweight.
Modern view cameras probably have advantages for
professional work especially studio work, where logging
dials on swings and tilts are useful if a set up must be
duplicated. The best of them (whichever those are) may be
somewhat more rigid than the old timers but the ones I've
looked at were really not that much better than my antiques.
My enlarger is an Omega D2v. I would like to have one
for larger format but don't have room. I've been working out
a method of using the Agfa 8x10 for enlarging without the
need to modify it. This is a long term project which is on
the back burner, not forgotten, but of low priority.
LF can be expensive but can also be done on a budget
(except for the film). Despite the raves about modern lenses
many of the older ones, even ancient ones, are very good and
new ones that cost a fortune are not necessary.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old March 9th 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message

/snip/

LF can be expensive but can also be done on a budget (except for the
film). Despite the raves about modern lenses many of the older ones, even
ancient ones, are very good and new ones that cost a fortune are not
necessary.

I'll share my experience with 4x5 film. First of all, I don't shoot 4x5
color - just bw. I ran across some years ago a store closing out 8x10 bw
film in boxes of 25 sheets. I think it was Forte, iso 200. I bought a box
(all of ten dollars), cut the film down to 4x5 in the darkroom (cotton
gloves, duct tape, and paper cutter), maintained emulsion orientation to
snip off a bit of the upper right corner, and tried it out. Worked
perfectly. So I went back and bought the eight or so remaining boxes.
Granted, a bit of a bother to have to trim the 8x10 film down to 4x5, but
what a bargain! I think I still have a box or two in the freezer.

And a number of those older lenses are much lighter than the more modern
ones - I prize my 210mm Tessar. Very, very nice images, much lighter than a
more current lens, and small enough that I don't have to detach it from the
camera.

Old March 9th 08, 05:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
erie patsellis

/snip/

[...]

For me, film costs are the least of it, if you don't mind ortho response, (which I don't),
Ultrafineonline.com (photo warehouse) has Continuous Tone dupe flim in 8x10 and 14x17, in
25 packs 8x10 is just under a dollar a sheet, by the hundred, it's about 85 cents. in the
16x20/20x24 I shoot lith film exclusively, I got a boatload of 16x20 lith film for free
from a printer I know that went direct to place, I probably have around 800 sheets left
still. Dektol 1:6 tames the contrast wonderfully, and an EI of about 6 makes the Packard
or lens cap approach quite doable.

I can put my 8x10 field camera, a handful of holders, a mounted 210 angulon and
lightmeter/filters, etc. in a small shoulder cooler and carry my tiltall over my shoulder,
a rather enjoyable hiking outfit.

By contrast, my entire 20x24 camera weighs nearly 50#, including the lens came in at just
under $150(bellows scrounged from a process camera, drawer slides for focusing stage,
scrap plywood scrounged from the local cabinet shop, the only high dollar item was a 17"
lead screw for the focusing), it folds up too. It doesn't travel far from the van
whatsoever. (the Weston approach to LF photography, if you will)

For 99% of my personal use, I shoot either the 8x10 field, my C1 if I'm feeling
adventurous, or a Toyo 45F. The big guns stay indoors, unless a client is footing the bill.

erie
Old March 14th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John[_12_]

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 19:03:12 GMT, erie patsellis
wrote:

Building a camera? some will say it looks nice, but the general response
will be "yeah, but my Canham (or Wista, Sinar, Chaminox, etc) is more precise, blah, blah,
blah.

I hope to someday build a very lightweight 5X7 which would work with
my three favorite lenses. My 121 SA, my 180 Nikkor and my 240
G-Claron. The G-Claron was the only one I bought new. Note that I
wouldn't mine a longer APO-Ronar ;)

JD
Old July 8th 08, 10:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Jacques

"Peter" wrote in message
There is at least one appreciative reader in the Netherlands (at least
for now) - me.
Thanks for all the insights.

I am new to LF photography and be sure that I will be a regular reader of
this newsgroup - as for contributing, I might have tons of questions but
don't expect too many answers from me, at least in the foreseeable future.
:-)

Jacques (from France)

Old July 9th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John Stafford

On 7/8/08 4:19 AM, in article ,
"Jacques" wrote:

I am new to LF photography and be sure that I will be a regular reader of
this newsgroup - as for contributing, I might have tons of questions but
don't expect too many answers from me, at least in the foreseeable future.
:-)

Jacques (from France)

Welcome and feel free to ask any questions.

Old July 9th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Jacques

"John Stafford" wrote in message
Welcome and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks John. For now I am mostly learning the basics by reading the
excellent site www.largeformatphotography.info as well as a French-speaking
forum (www.galerie-photo.com/forum for those of you who would be interested
to read stuff on LF in French - the forum is not exclusive to LF but has a
good ratio on this format).

I just bought a used Tachihara 4x5 with a couple of lenses and I will soon
give this equipment a try. I will be on vacation at the end of this week and
I look forward to chasing for nice spots to shoot in the country. I still
have to locate a lab in the region where I will stay, and quite soon I will
have to invest in a decent scanner (seriously considering the Epson V700).

Cheers,
Jacques

Old July 9th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 7/9/2008 9:53 AM Jacques spake thus:

"John Stafford" wrote in message
Welcome and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks John. For now I am mostly learning the basics by reading the
excellent site www.largeformatphotography.info as well as a French-speaking
forum (www.galerie-photo.com/forum for those of you who would be interested
to read stuff on LF in French - the forum is not exclusive to LF but has a
good ratio on this format).

I just bought a used Tachihara 4x5 with a couple of lenses and I will soon
give this equipment a try. I will be on vacation at the end of this week and
I look forward to chasing for nice spots to shoot in the country. I still
have to locate a lab in the region where I will stay, and quite soon I will
have to invest in a decent scanner (seriously considering the Epson V700).

One technical suggestion that may be overlooked: Learn to clean your
equipment fastidiously. Especially film holders.

This advice from someone (me) who has never been able to make a single
exposure that didn't have some dust specks on it.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken