Closeups of flowers question.

Old July 4th 04, 06:23 PM
Stan

Default Closeups of flowers question.

Using an Olympus C-2100 in macro mode. Using spot focus and continuous
focus (automatic focus).

Taking photos of fairly small flowers (Portulaca) and not satisfied that
they are well-focused.

Questions:

1. Do I need to use a tripod because the focal distance is so sensitive?

2. Any other suggestions for doing this kind of photo?

Thanks.
Old July 4th 04, 07:22 PM
Ken Weitzel

Stan wrote:
Using an Olympus C-2100 in macro mode. Using spot focus and continuous
focus (automatic focus).

Taking photos of fairly small flowers (Portulaca) and not satisfied that
they are well-focused.

Questions:

1. Do I need to use a tripod because the focal distance is so sensitive?

2. Any other suggestions for doing this kind of photo?

Hi Stan...

I love doing this too... using a c-700, and am more than
pleased with the results. Though I'm not a photographer,
I just take pictures.

Only difference is that I don't use continuous focus,
don't like it searching while I'm snapping.

And I pick really bright sunny days, so that the
depth of field is as great as possible.

I have one of my "accidentally good" pictures of
a marigold with a very very tiny wasp in it.
You can clearly make out the veins(?) in the wasps
wings. Couldn't see it in the viewfinder, but it's
in the picture

I'd be happy to email you a copy of it if you'd like.

Take care.

Ken

Old July 4th 04, 11:33 PM
Bob Williams

Stan wrote:
Using an Olympus C-2100 in macro mode. Using spot focus and continuous
focus (automatic focus).

Taking photos of fairly small flowers (Portulaca) and not satisfied that
they are well-focused.

Questions:

1. Do I need to use a tripod because the focal distance is so sensitive?

2. Any other suggestions for doing this kind of photo?

Thanks.

When you are operating at the close focus limit of your C-2100 i.e., 4",
if you move even 1/2 inch, you are out of focus. Use a tripod at these
close ranges.
Also, if you use flash, cover the flashtube with about 4 layers of
Kleenex to diffuse and lower the intensity of the light.
Flowers are my favorite subjects. Nothing else is so colorful and
beautiful. I have a bunch of nice macros of flowers at my website. If
you are interested. See:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/0955ABDB1C7488D
Bob Williams

Old July 5th 04, 02:19 AM
EdO

From taking hundreds of wild flower images I have found that it is not
always the focus as it is the movement of either the camera or the
subject or the camera. At these close distances it only takes a minute
movement of make everything "out of focus." Check your images and see
if there is any point in the image in focus and if not it is probably
camera and or subject movement. If you study your self taking flowers
your are usually bent over or in some contortion trying to get down to
the subject - not conducive to holding the camera steady.

I use a monopod with a home brew adapter so I can get down low. This
helps a great amount.

Ed Oliver

Old July 5th 04, 09:20 AM
Geoff Bryant

I'm a professional horticultural photographer and you can see plenty of
plant shots of all types at my website.

If I had to condense it all down into a few lines I would say that my
experience says that for the best flower close ups you should always use a
tripod and try to shoot on days with an overcast but bright sky. If you have
to shoot in full sun use fill flash or a reflector (or both) and if you have
to shoot on really dull days be prepared to wait for absolute stillness. It'
s tempting to rely on flash alone, which you can do for super close-ups, but
at any distance those black backgrounds soon become a bit repetitive.

I've always used SLRs and never a compact or EVF style camera, so the
following points may not apply to you. I nearly always use mirror lock-up
with shutter speeds below 1/15 second, the exception being when I need to
grab a shot during a brief lull in the wind. I always use a cable release.
Always use a mode that allows you to control depth of field, either aperture
priority or manual. The exact plane of focus is important, so do it manually
if you can, but often it's not so much where you focus as what the DOF
covers. When using digital I always shoot RAW because it will give you far
greater options when trying to avoid washed out highlights with very light
colours.

If you choose to expand you horticultural work (branch out??), you can
always use those sunny, blue sky days for tree portraits, which don't work
as well with washed out overcast skies.

--
Geoff Bryant
www.hortiphoto.com

Old July 5th 04, 11:19 AM
Stan

Stan wrote:
Using an Olympus C-2100 in macro mode. Using spot focus and continuous
focus (automatic focus).

Taking photos of fairly small flowers (Portulaca) and not satisfied that
they are well-focused.

Questions:

1. Do I need to use a tripod because the focal distance is so sensitive?

2. Any other suggestions for doing this kind of photo?

Thanks.

I'd like to thank everyone who has responded for their help and
insights. Now I'm ready to try again.

Old July 5th 04, 06:30 PM
Bernard Saper

Your flower photos are beautiful. I

In macro mode depth of field is very narrow, so that it is important to
decide what portion of the flower you want to be sharp and focus on that.
The remainder of the flower will be increasingly in soft focus depending on
the distance from the actual focal point.

"schuetzen - RKBA!" wrote in message
Stan wrote:

1. Do I need to use a tripod because the focal distance is so sensitive?

2. Any other suggestions for doing this kind of photo?

isolate one flower with MAYBE one in profile nearby
use a bit of rock or bricks or whatever as a contrast
keep your background dark and your flower bright
use a 100mm Macro lens to allow you to stand off a couple or three feet
do use a tri/monopod
direct sunlight is rarely best, better early(dawn) shots or open shade
carry a small mister with water, for just a tad of droplets

the flower should stand out from its surroundings by using dark foliage

and out
of focus/soft focus.
Do experiment with depth of field within the flower itself but not so much

as to
place the background into focus.

fwiw
chas