new 10d mkII with 1.3x sensor

Old July 2nd 04, 05:35 AM
david Smith

Default new 10d mkII with 1.3x sensor

Folks I just heard from a friend that Canon are going to release their next 10d mk2 with the same sensor as the 1DmkII and that its
going to be announced in October and with cost of $1,800 approx.

I for one am not really impressed at the huge price increase for just 2 more MP

Can someone confirm whether there is any truth in this?

Old July 2nd 04, 06:47 AM
Bob Hatch

"david Smith" wrote in message

Folks I just heard from a friend that Canon are going to release
their next 10d mk2 with the same sensor as the 1DmkII and that its
going to be announced in October and with cost of $1,800 approx.

I for one am not really impressed at the huge price increase for just
2 more MP

Can someone confirm whether there is any truth in this?

Canon can, but most likely won't.
--
"Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke

Old July 2nd 04, 07:05 AM
Skip M

"david Smith" wrote in message
Folks I just heard from a friend that Canon are going to release their

next 10d mk2 with the same sensor as the 1DmkII and that its
going to be announced in October and with cost of $1,800 approx.

I for one am not really impressed at the huge price increase for just 2

more MP

Can someone confirm whether there is any truth in this?

I hope you're right. It's not just a res. increase, if it goes to 1.3x from
1.6x, the larger sensor size will help image quality, and get my wide angle
lenses closer to being the angle I bought them for...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old July 2nd 04, 07:10 AM
Matti Vuori

"david Smith" wrote in
:
I for one am not really impressed at the huge price increase for just
2 more MP

If you look and think carefully you'll notice that there is more to a
camera than just the pixel count.

--
Matti Vuori, http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm

Old July 2nd 04, 01:28 PM
Mark B.

"david Smith" wrote in message
Folks I just heard from a friend that Canon are going to release their

next 10d mk2 with the same sensor as the 1DmkII and that its
going to be announced in October and with cost of $1,800 approx.

I for one am not really impressed at the huge price increase for just 2

more MP

Can someone confirm whether there is any truth in this?

It's a false rumor. There's NO WAY Canon is going to put the 1D MkII sensor
in a 10D successor for that price. Wait for an official announcement from
Canon and refrain from spreading unsubstantiated rumors. Do a search on the
10D forum at dpreview, you'll see what I mean.

Mark

Old July 2nd 04, 01:29 PM
Jytzel

"david Smith" wrote in message ...
Folks I just heard from a friend that Canon are going to release their next 10d mk2 with the same sensor as the 1DmkII and that its
going to be announced in October and with cost of $1,800 approx.

I for one am not really impressed at the huge price increase for just 2 more MP

Can someone confirm whether there is any truth in this?

Hard to believe that. That would kill 1D markII.
Old July 2nd 04, 01:47 PM
Bill Hilton

From: (Jytzel)

Hard to believe that. That would kill 1D markII.

Not unless the (mythical) 10D M II offers 8.5 frames/sec too
Old July 2nd 04, 01:55 PM
Darrell Larose

"Jytzel" wrote in message
om...
"david Smith" wrote in message

Folks I just heard from a friend that Canon are going to release their

next 10d mk2 with the same sensor as the 1DmkII and that its
going to be announced in October and with cost of $1,800 approx.

I for one am not really impressed at the huge price increase for just 2

more MP

Can someone confirm whether there is any truth in this?

Hard to believe that. That would kill 1D markII.

The 1D Mk.II is more camera than the 10D, so if they use the same sensor,
the 1D Mk.II is still more camera. There is buffer size, shooting speed and
durability. Much the same as the Elan 7E vs.EOS 3. Or even the DRebel vs.
10D which also share a sensor, but are different cameras.

Old July 2nd 04, 01:56 PM
Darrell Larose

"Mark B." wrote in message
[...]

10D which also share a sensor, but are different cameras. I would imagine
there will be enough of a difference.

Old July 2nd 04, 02:07 PM
Skip M

"david Smith" wrote in message
Folks I just heard from a friend that Canon are going to release their

next 10d mk2 with the same sensor as the 1DmkII and that its
going to be announced in October and with cost of $1,800 approx.

I for one am not really impressed at the huge price increase for just 2

more MP

Can someone confirm whether there is any truth in this?

An addendum to my earlier reply, that isn't such a huge price increase,
since the 10D was $1500 (street) at its introduction. Canon needs to get
some separation, price wise, between the 10D mkII and the 300D/RebelD and
spec wise between it and that camera and the Nikon D70 and D100.