SSD drives. Guaranteed disasters waiting to happen?

Old August 14th 16, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default SSD drives. Guaranteed disasters waiting to happen?

In article , PeterN
wrote:

also keep in mind that 500g ssds are $100ish, making 256g not much of a
bargain anymore, and with 1tb around $200, you might as well go for
that if you're not on a super-tight budget.

I have to agree with nospam here. 500 GB and 1 TB SSD's are more usual
these days. Add to that many computers are delivered today with 500GB,
1TB, 2TB, and 3TB SSDs along with fusion drives, but fusion drive
installations are dropping off.

I appreciate and understand what you are saying.
If I was building my own, you would both be right. The prebuilt
machines, with the specs I want have a price difference of about $500
between the 256 and the 500 SSD.

and people complain about apple prices?

If I was getting a machine strictly for surfing, email, and displaying
family pictures, I would probable get exactly what my wife uses. (An
iPad.) If I was to get a machine with a 1TB SSD, I would be getting
something that has far more capacity than I need. Therefore, overpaying.

there's no need to overpay to get what you want.

the point is that the price difference between a 250 gig ssd and a 500
gig ssd is currently very little, and since it's a good idea to not
fill an ssd and since higher capacity ssds are typically faster, that
money is well spent. you don't necessarily have to get 1tb+, but if
you're worried about 250 being tight, 500 should be fine.

the other point is that hp's prices are worse than apple, who offers a
512 gig ssd for only $300 more than a 256 gig ssd, versus $500 for hp.

if you're buying a prebuilt system, get the smallest capacity drive and
then swap it out for the ssd you really want. keep the original drive
for a spare, or better yet, put it back if the machine needs service,
with the bonus that there will be *no* personal data at all on it for a
tech to snoop. just a generic windows install.

you're getting ripped off.

What would you suggest. For personal reasons, I must get a PC. One
machine with OSX and Windows, will not work for me. Just accept that as
a fact, and I will not discuss into reasons.

in other words, you dismiss all other options without even
investigating them.

That amounts to a price difference of
about 1/3 more. So far my #1 choice is the HP Z240. I will speak to some
people I know and see how negotiable the price is. In fairness, the
price includes on site service.

it had better include a whole lot more than that.

It does. You can look up the prices of various configurations for
yourself. The Z240 is not a low end machine. Subtract the cost in on
site service, and the % difference increases.

whoosh.
Old August 14th 16, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/13/2016 3:48 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 23:12:40 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 8/12/2016 6:25 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

In the course of hunting around I have come across the Dell
workstation line. Mechanically, they impress me. Their prices don't
look too bad for what they are. Have you had a look at them?

Te key words being, "for what they are." I have a ting about Dell.
According to my information, Dell does not always use high quality
components, unless they are cheaper the week the machine is made.

--
PeterN
Old August 14th 16, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

I looked at the HP store for that model, and there are various
configurations, starting at $800. You don't say what configurations you
are considering, so it's difficult to say if you are getting ripped off.

Sorry, I should have included the link to the configuration.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1219580-REG/hp_l9k20ut_aba_z240_series_tower_workstation.html

I did a quick glance at Amazon, and the prices are about $200 less, so
the price is probably about right. If Amazon had listings at 50% less
than the HP store, I would be concerned.

Amazon may or may not be less. Amazon doesn't seem to give all the
component details. By basis for comparison was B&H, which is convenient
for me, and I have a better chance of talking with a knowledgeable
person, who will give honest answers.

The only thing that concerns me is the HP super-thin optical drive,
similar to (if not actually) a laptop drive. I've always found that
style to be flimsy. But if you are buying on-site service (do you really
need _on-site_?), then you're covered.

I am just spoiled about onsite. Do I really need it?, no, but I do like
it, and am willing to pay for it.

If you go to eBay, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of HP
point-of-sale machines available. (I have a 5700 and two 5800's.) If a
machine is dependable enough for the day-to-day use at point-of-sale, I

consider that a good sign.

PeterN
Old August 14th 16, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/13/2016 9:17 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

IOW this is NOT going to be an Apple vs PC debate. my reasons are
personal and important to me.

That amounts to a price difference of
about 1/3 more. So far my #1 choice is the HP Z240. I will speak to some
people I know and see how negotiable the price is. In fairness, the
price includes on site service.

it had better include a whole lot more than that.

It does. You can look up the prices of various configurations for
yourself. The Z240 is not a low end machine. Subtract the cost in on
site service, and the % difference increases.

whoosh.

And I thought you were trying to be helpful.
--
PeterN
Old August 14th 16, 05:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

What would you suggest. For personal reasons, I must get a PC. One
machine with OSX and Windows, will not work for me. Just accept that as
a fact, and I will not discuss into reasons.

in other words, you dismiss all other options without even
investigating them.

IOW this is NOT going to be an Apple vs PC debate. my reasons are
personal and important to me.

maybe so, but they're based on ignorance.
Old August 14th 16, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

They also have tendency to spec things at just below an acceptable
level of performance. They will work OK most of the time but ....

Eric Stevens
Old August 15th 16, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/14/2016 12:31 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

What would you suggest. For personal reasons, I must get a PC. One
machine with OSX and Windows, will not work for me. Just accept that as
a fact, and I will not discuss into reasons.

in other words, you dismiss all other options without even
investigating them.

IOW this is NOT going to be an Apple vs PC debate. my reasons are
personal and important to me.

maybe so, but they're based on ignorance.

And you have full knowledge of my needs.
Sounds like you're the ignorant one. Especially when you suggest a DIY
change to the SSD, which creates a discussion in the event service is
needed.

--
PeterN
Old August 15th 16, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

What would you suggest. For personal reasons, I must get a PC. One
machine with OSX and Windows, will not work for me. Just accept that as
a fact, and I will not discuss into reasons.

in other words, you dismiss all other options without even
investigating them.

IOW this is NOT going to be an Apple vs PC debate. my reasons are
personal and important to me.

maybe so, but they're based on ignorance.

And you have full knowledge of my needs.

that's not the issue.

i'm talking about what you think macs can and cannot do, based on
numerous things you've said over the years.

you may *think* they don't fit your needs, but that's based on
misinformation about macs.

Sounds like you're the ignorant one. Especially when you suggest a DIY
change to the SSD, which creates a discussion in the event service is
needed.

not really.

worst case, have it professionally installed.