Agfa Viradon

Old June 15th 11, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
polly filler

Default Agfa Viradon

Hi All
Just bought some Agfa Viradon,, and on the instructions it says to dilute1
to 50 for usage.
Then it says After toning wash thoroughly Na sulphite 10%, prevents
posttoning.
Could someone please explain the "Na sulphite10%" as I do not understand.
Also what is the best way to use this toner to get the best results? I have
never used it before.

Many thanks in advance

Old June 16th 11, 07:02 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"polly filler" wrote in message
o.uk...
Hi All
Just bought some Agfa Viradon,, and on the instructions it
says to dilute1 to 50 for usage.
Then it says After toning wash thoroughly Na sulphite 10%,
prevents posttoning.
Could someone please explain the "Na sulphite10%" as I do
not understand.
Also what is the best way to use this toner to get the
best results? I have never used it before.

Many thanks in advance

Current Agfa Viradon is a polysulfide toner similar to
Kodak Brown Toner. Polysulfide has the odd property of
toning faster as it becomes diluted or exhauseted. That
makes it tend to tone quickly when washed until a
substantial amount of the toner is washed out. In addition
it can cause staining if not washed out quickly. Sodium
sulfite acts as a sort of stop bath, stopping the toning
immediately and also clears the yellow stain from the toner.
While its usually recommended that a 10% soluton be used I
find a working solution (about 2%) of Kodak Hypo Clearing
Agent works fine. Polysulfide also has the property of
toning all densities equally so it will provide considerable
protection to images when only partial toning is used.
Kodak published formula T-8 is a similar toner but not so
concentrated.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old June 18th 11, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Dennis Boone

Then it says After toning wash thoroughly Na sulphite 10%, prevents
posttoning.
Could someone please explain the "Na sulphite10%" as I do not understand.

Presumably sodium sulfite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_sulfite

Photographer's Formulary appears to stock the stuff:

http://stores.photoformulary.com/-st...ley/Detail.bok

De
Old June 20th 11, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
polly filler

"Dennis Boone" wrote in message
Then it says After toning wash thoroughly Na sulphite 10%, prevents
posttoning.
Could someone please explain the "Na sulphite10%" as I do not
understand.

Presumably sodium sulfite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_sulfite

Photographer's Formulary appears to stock the stuff:

http://stores.photoformulary.com/-st...ley/Detail.bok

De

Thanks to all for your reply's, and your knowledge

Agfa APX 25 - others? whitewave In The Darkroom 35 February 17th 05 04:18 PM
Agfa Jim Phelps In The Darkroom 30 August 24th 04 09:00 PM
agfa fast film patents AGFA mgmt buys film division Medium Format Photography Equipment 0 August 23rd 04 02:14 AM
Agfa 25 -- 120 Bob Stewart Medium Format Equipment For Sale 3 January 28th 04 10:17 PM
WTB: Agfa 25 -- 120 Bob Stewart Darkroom Equipment For Sale 0 January 28th 04 04:31 AM