New Foveon sensor for digital camcorders

Old July 5th 04, 08:34 PM
Sander Vesik

Default New Foveon sensor for digital camcorders

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm George Preddy wrote:
wrote in message . ..
In message ,
"Hal" wrote:

Well, the article that you're included in your post indicates that it is
indeed a 4.5MP.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04...laroidx530.asp
It even refers back to the article that I posted for more information (?).
So, I'm a bit confused.

I'm not finding the reference supporting your claim. Since I do _try_ to
follow these things closely, I'd appreciate your pointing out the specific
reference for me. I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I really do want
to understand your point.

Foveon is trying to hype their products by tripling the number of actual
pixels in their marketing language. What they call a 4.5MP sensor is
actually a 1.5MP sensor that detects three color bands at each pixel.

As opposed to other manufacturers calling sensing 1 color band,
sensing a full color pixel.

Care to name any camera maufcaturer doing that with their SLR cameras?

The Foveon 5M (thier P&S sensor) is a 6MP chip, not 4.5MP. It outputs
6M pixels (3000 x 2000) from 1.5M complete RGB triples, which is
exactly the same as the Canon 10D but with DRAMATICALLY lower noise
and increased DR.

1.5 M complete RGB triplets are 1.5 megapixels - not 3 and certainly not
6 megapixels.

Foveon continues to be ridiculously conservative in their MPs rating
compared to Bayer manufactures who often list 800% interpolatively
upscaled images as the actual MP count (Fuji)!!

Not only bull**** but also completely off-topic (this group is about
35mm film equipment) bull****.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old July 6th 04, 12:01 AM
Gymmy Bob

My 1 megapixel fuji doesn't have the noise in low light either. Oh yeah.
Either does my 2 megapixel fuji.

"George Preddy" wrote in message
om...
wrote in message

. ..
In message ,
"Hal" wrote:

Well, the article that you're included in your post indicates that it

is
indeed a 4.5MP.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04...laroidx530.asp
It even refers back to the article that I posted for more information

(?).

Old July 6th 04, 01:32 AM
Big Bill

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 19:34:02 +0000 (UTC), Sander Vesik
wrote:

Not only bull**** but also completely off-topic (this group is about
35mm film equipment) bull****.

Actually, this went to all these newsgroups:
rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec. photo.equipment.35mm,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras
I'm sure you can get your reader to tell you this.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"