Does anyone make ...

Old July 24th 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Alan Browne

Default Does anyone make ...

On 10-07-21 12:24 , Cheesehead wrote:
A 4x5 film holder that has a slot for a strip of 35mm film in the
center.
Might make not only for some great 5" neg panoramas, but also provide
a way to use some films not ordinarily available to 4x5
(albeit in a reduced form factor).
I'm thinking of making one from an old holder. My Caltar HR 210/5.6
turns out to be quite sharp. Shot on certain 35mm films it might be
quite nice.

Use 120/220 instead? For that there are magazines for 4x5 (I think).

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old July 24th 10, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 7/24/2010 10:34 AM Alan Browne spake thus:

On 10-07-21 12:24 , Cheesehead wrote:

A 4x5 film holder that has a slot for a strip of 35mm film in the
center.
Might make not only for some great 5" neg panoramas, but also provide
a way to use some films not ordinarily available to 4x5
(albeit in a reduced form factor).
I'm thinking of making one from an old holder. My Caltar HR 210/5.6
turns out to be quite sharp. Shot on certain 35mm films it might be
quite nice.

Use 120/220 instead? For that there are magazines for 4x5 (I think).

If he uses 120, then I guess what the OP would be looking for would be a
holder that's 5 inches long x 120 wide; 5 inches = 127 mm, so it seems
that a 6x12 holder might just do the trick. Do they make 6x12 holders
for 4x5?

Old July 24th 10, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 7/24/2010 11:36 AM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

If he uses 120, then I guess what the OP would be looking for would be a
holder that's 5 inches long x 120 wide; 5 inches = 127 mm, so it seems
that a 6x12 holder might just do the trick. Do they make 6x12 holders
for 4x5?

Answering my own question, the DIYer in me says, "Who cares?". No need
for anything store-bought here. Just glue down some paper guides on an
old 4x5 holder for a strip of 120 film. Voila!

Sure, there's no daylight loading or frame counting here, but it'll work
fine.

Old July 25th 10, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 7/24/2010 11:36 AM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

If he uses 120, then I guess what the OP would be looking for would be a
holder that's 5 inches long x 120 wide; 5 inches = 127 mm, so it seems
that a 6x12 holder might just do the trick. Do they make 6x12 holders
for 4x5?

Answering my own question, the DIYer in me says, "Who cares?". No need
for anything store-bought here. Just glue down some paper guides on an
old 4x5 holder for a strip of 120 film. Voila!

Sure, there's no daylight loading or frame counting here, but it'll work
fine.

Except that the slide won't clear if you put the guides such that you
can get the film _under_ them, and the film won't stay flat if you don't,
because 120 film is much, much more flexible than either 4x5 or 35mm
film.

The problem you'd have with 35mm film is that it is curved across the
narrow dimension and would practically require a vacuum back to stay
flat in a 4x5 holder without a special slide and back that worked much
like the film gate and pressure plate in a real 35mm camera.

35mm in 4x5 is a real pain. 120 is not as hard but you'll do a lot better
to use a factory made holder. Otherwise, in both cases, sure, you'll get
images, but parts of the film will be so far off the plane of sharp focus
that if you can convince yourself the results are sharp, you're a much
better liar than I am.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
"All of my opinions are consistent, but I cannot present them all
Old July 25th 10, 06:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 7/24/2010 4:43 PM Thor Lancelot Simon spake thus:

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 7/24/2010 11:36 AM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

If he uses 120, then I guess what the OP would be looking for would be a
holder that's 5 inches long x 120 wide; 5 inches = 127 mm, so it seems
that a 6x12 holder might just do the trick. Do they make 6x12 holders
for 4x5?

Answering my own question, the DIYer in me says, "Who cares?". No
need for anything store-bought here. Just glue down some paper
guides on an old 4x5 holder for a strip of 120 film. Voila!

Sure, there's no daylight loading or frame counting here, but it'll
work fine.

Except that the slide won't clear if you put the guides such that you
can get the film _under_ them, and the film won't stay flat if you don't,
because 120 film is much, much more flexible than either 4x5 or 35mm
film.

Are you sure about that? I'm looking at a 4x5 holder (old Graflex), and
there is a good 1/8" between the slide and the back of the holder where
the guides would go. Looks like plenty of room for some paper guides.
They only need to be about 3-4 times the thickness of the film total.

Can't guarantee how flat the film would stay, of course, but might be
worth a try.

Old July 25th 10, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 7/24/2010 4:43 PM Thor Lancelot Simon spake thus:

/snip - follow the thread/

Except that the slide won't clear if you put the guides such that you
can get the film _under_ them, and the film won't stay flat if you don't,
because 120 film is much, much more flexible than either 4x5 or 35mm
film.

Are you sure about that? I'm looking at a 4x5 holder (old Graflex), and
there is a good 1/8" between the slide and the back of the holder where
the guides would go. Looks like plenty of room for some paper guides. They
only need to be about 3-4 times the thickness of the film total.

Can't guarantee how flat the film would stay, of course, but might be
worth a try.

I'll jump into this thread at this point.

My question is why all this attention to modifying the film holder to
accommodate 35mm film? As I recall from days past, there was an adapter
with which you could mount a 35mm SLR directly onto the dark slide. Such an
approach, I would think you would be having your cake and eating it at the
same time. I see that SK Grimes makes such an adapter:
http://www.skgrimes.com/thisweek/1-09-05/index.htm

and here's another for the Nikon:
http://www.zenit-camera.com/4x5-came...on_adapter.htm

And one touting both the Nikon and the Canon EOS:
https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=2859

Dollars to donuts for the right amount of dollars an adapter for any camera
could be had. At the very least, a suitable adapter to fit the Nikon or
Canon EOS mount onto the SLR of your choice should be available.

Old July 25th 10, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 7/25/2010 9:17 AM Lawrence Akutagawa spake thus:

[...]

Not to knock your contribution to the thread--those certainly seem
useful in some way--but this is far different from what the OP was
proposing to do (as I understand it), which was to expose a long strip
of 35mm film across the 4x5 film holder, not just a single 35mm frame
(24x36), thus creating something of a panorama.

Now, if you could get such an adapter for a Xpan (or even a Horizont),
then you might have something similar.

Old July 26th 10, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

[...]

hmmm...if that is what he wants, then shoot on regular 4x5 film and then
with a pair of scissors cut the resultant negative down to the size he
requires. Dunno how he is going to enlarge the resulting negative strip,
though. Use a 4x5 or larger enlarger? If he is going to do that, then he
can use the original 4x5 negative rather than the negative strip, make the
requisite enlargement to cover the larger print dimension he wants, and then
with a pair of scissors cut the resulting print down to the size he wants.

Old July 26th 10, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 7/25/2010 5:09 PM Lawrence Akutagawa spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

Not to knock your contribution to the thread--those certainly seem useful
in some way--but this is far different from what the OP was proposing to
do (as I understand it), which was to expose a long strip of 35mm film
across the 4x5 film holder, not just a single 35mm frame (24x36), thus
creating something of a panorama.

hmmm...if that is what he wants, then shoot on regular 4x5 film and then
with a pair of scissors cut the resultant negative down to the size he
requires.

Well, the OP did state one reason to use 35mm film instead of 4x5, which
was to "provide a way to use some films not ordinarily available to 4x5".

Dunno how he is going to enlarge the resulting negative strip,
though. Use a 4x5 or larger enlarger?

I guess there are enlargers and negative holders available for 6x12,
which is essentially what he'll end up with; dunno if the OP has that,
though.

Old July 26th 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Doug McDonald[_4_]

On 7/25/2010 6:02 PM, Peter wrote:

All of these seem to be interesting points. Even so, film is cheap.
Why not just shoot 4x5 and trim it later with scissors?

There is an answer to that: becasue even to this day, 4x5 films
are simply inferior to 35mm ones (unless you like Velvia).

Doug McDonald