BW negs to digital??

Old September 25th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Gypsy Moth

Default BW negs to digital??

I stumbled across a collection of black and white negatives. It has been
years since I set up and used a darkroom. These ARE NOT art quality shots,
but I would very much like to make an 8 x 10 print of several of the shots
for a reunion. Is there a way to make a digital POSITIVE copy of negs
without going through the usual darkroom process?

Old September 25th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 9/24/2008 4:01 PM Gypsy Moth spake thus:

I stumbled across a collection of black and white negatives. It has been
years since I set up and used a darkroom. These ARE NOT art quality shots,
but I would very much like to make an 8 x 10 print of several of the shots
for a reunion. Is there a way to make a digital POSITIVE copy of negs
without going through the usual darkroom process?

Sure; scan (with either a film scanner [preferable] or a flatbed scanner
with a film attachment [not so good], then invert the image. Every
decent image-editing program on earth has such a function: one click and
you have a positive.

- Paulo Freire
Old September 25th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John J

Gypsy Moth wrote:
I stumbled across a collection of black and white negatives. It has been
years since I set up and used a darkroom. These ARE NOT art quality shots,
but I would very much like to make an 8 x 10 print of several of the shots
for a reunion. Is there a way to make a digital POSITIVE copy of negs
without going through the usual darkroom process?

Of course. Any ordinary print of a negative produces a positive, a
"regular print".

Old September 25th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
____

In article ,
"Gypsy Moth" wrote:

I stumbled across a collection of black and white negatives. It has been
years since I set up and used a darkroom. These ARE NOT art quality shots,
but I would very much like to make an 8 x 10 print of several of the shots
for a reunion. Is there a way to make a digital POSITIVE copy of negs
without going through the usual darkroom process?

Most scanning programs which are the step before Photo Shop
automatically convert the scan from the negative to a positive on screen
image. Once you have the raw scan you adjust it in Photo Shop or other
editing program of choice, then its simply a matter of taking the saved
file to a one hour lab or uploading it to an online service. Snap
fish,Ofoto, Mpix.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old September 25th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 9/24/2008 5:27 PM John J spake thus:

Gypsy Moth wrote:

I stumbled across a collection of black and white negatives. It has been
years since I set up and used a darkroom. These ARE NOT art quality shots,
but I would very much like to make an 8 x 10 print of several of the shots
for a reunion. Is there a way to make a digital POSITIVE copy of negs
without going through the usual darkroom process?

Of course. Any ordinary print of a negative produces a positive, a
"regular print".

You missed that Mr. (or Ms.) Moth asked about digital images.

- Paulo Freire