Fomapan questions

Old November 9th 04, 06:26 PM
Mark Fohl

Default Fomapan questions

Hello Folks, I bought a roll of Fomapan 100 from J and C Photo a week or two
ago, and processed it over the weekend. I saw some things I didn't expect,
and I was wondering if someone could comment.

I exposed at 125 and developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 10 minutes, as
recommended by the Massive Dev Chart. The first surprise was that when I
dumped the developer, it was clear; not the same as the inky dark purple
that I get when I develop Agfa APX100 in Rodinal. Second, the developed
film has a distinct blue tint to it. I guess I'll find out how this affects
VC paper. And finally, the dried film has incredible curl. I could barely
hold it straight to get it into the negative page.

Are these experiences similar to yours?

Thanks in advance,

-- Mark

Old November 9th 04, 08:07 PM
Mike King

Different films will yield different developer colors, means nothing, it is
an interaction between the developer and the dyes in the film.

The blue color is probably residual dye. Try refixing and rewashing in
fresh fixer and use a wash aid. Snip the trailer from the film and use it
to compare before and after colors after rewashing the rest of the film .

Curl, some films are very curly, especially old technology films. I have a
similar problem with Maco Aura. Not bad, just more than the films from the
Big Four.

--
darkroommike

----------

Old November 10th 04, 12:29 PM
marcin

Hello Folks, I bought a roll of Fomapan 100 from J and C Photo a
week or two

hi there, it was fomapan or fomapan-R ;-) ??
Foma, I think
http://www.foma.cz/Upload/foma/prilohy/F_pan_100_en.pdf
tech-sheet in english. Old kind of film, Koudelka has worked on it.
In my part of europe has an opinion of unstable (i don't know why); it
means
that two rools may vary. Never happened to me.
But i suggest to use it in 120 format, not to good as 35mm (for this
price,
similar here to PAN 100)

I exposed at 125 and developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 10 minutes, as
recommended by the Massive Dev Chart.

Foma is generally soft, imho especially with rodinal.

The first surprise was that when I
dumped the developer, it was clear;

not a little bit blue ?

not the same as the inky dark purple
that I get when I develop Agfa APX100 in Rodinal. Second, the

developed
film has a distinct blue tint to it. I guess I'll find out how this

affects
VC paper.

its film's mask, it's blue and it's normal

And finally, the dried film has incredible curl. I could barely
hold it straight to get it into the negative page.

one of the reason to not to be a 35-mm-foma-fan

Are these experiences similar to yours?

exactly.

Best regards
marcin