Bit of help...

Old July 11th 05, 01:50 PM
Stuart

Default Bit of help...

....from the experts please (creep)
I am trying to take a photo of my place, from a high vantage point far away,
which shows the property framed by the Atlantic ocean. Problem is, on a
nice sunny day with blue skies it always looks misty and not very clear over
the sea.
As the day wears on it gets even more indistinct. Am I right in thinking
that all hot sunny days will result in mist over the sea and I will not get
a good picture?
Thanks for any info
Stuart

Old July 11th 05, 03:31 PM
Rudy Benner

"Stuart" wrote in message
...from the experts please (creep)
I am trying to take a photo of my place, from a high vantage point far
away, which shows the property framed by the Atlantic ocean. Problem is,
on a nice sunny day with blue skies it always looks misty and not very
clear over the sea.
As the day wears on it gets even more indistinct. Am I right in thinking
that all hot sunny days will result in mist over the sea and I will not
get a good picture?
Thanks for any info
Stuart

I will not presume to think of myself as an expert, however, I would
experiment with filters, start with a UV filter, then perhaps add a
polarizing filter. Use a tripod for exact alignment. Take several bracketing
exposures, then load them into the PC and see what can be done from there.

Old July 11th 05, 09:06 PM
Rudy Benner

"stuart" wrote in message

"Rudy Benner" wrote in message

"Stuart" wrote in message
...from the experts please (creep)
I am trying to take a photo of my place, from a high vantage point far
away, which shows the property framed by the Atlantic ocean. Problem
is, on a nice sunny day with blue skies it always looks misty and not
very clear over the sea.
As the day wears on it gets even more indistinct. Am I right in
thinking that all hot sunny days will result in mist over the sea and I
will not get a good picture?
Thanks for any info
Stuart

I will not presume to think of myself as an expert, however, I would
experiment with filters, start with a UV filter, then perhaps add a
polarizing filter. Use a tripod for exact alignment. Take several
bracketing exposures, then load them into the PC and see what can be done
from there.

i'll try that - ta very much Rudy
stuart

Hang around, there are some VERY talented folks around here that will
probably come up with better ideas, then they will proceed to tear each
other into small bits. The usual circus. Its instructive and amusing at the
same time. And its free !!

I love a parade.

R.

Old July 11th 05, 10:22 PM
RSD99

Atmospheric haze is a fact of life for landscape photographers, especially
near the ocean. Weather conditions during "the summer" are usually
responsible. Filters ... primarily the polarizer ... can help a little bit,
but the best course would be to wait for a fall (or spring) day with a
slight breeze.

..

Old July 12th 05, 01:14 PM
Chrlz

Am I right in thinking that all hot sunny days will result in
mist over the sea and I will not get a good picture?

Mostly, yes, but there are a few potential solutions - patience is the
main one!!

Firstly, there is probably at least *one* set of weather conditions
that will result in good clear conditions, maybe after a
westerly/easterly/etc, or first thing on a still morning, or after a
storm or rain shower or a low or high pressure system has passed, and
it maybe more likely at a particular time of year. By the way, a sunny
winter sky doesn't look much different to a summer one.. If there are
local fisherfolk or farmers, they may be able to give you clues, or you
may just have to observe over a long period. Talk to the local
fishermen, farmers or similar folk (or local pilots?) and you may get
the clues you need.

Generally, the best conditions will occur immediately after rain, so a
brief summer storm may be all you need... and if you can catch the
morning or afternoon light if the sun manages to break through just
after a deluge, you may well get a masterpiece...

Good luck!

Old July 12th 05, 02:36 PM

Chrlz wrote:
[...]

I agree with the comments so far, and try combining them.
Try after a summer storm, first thing in the morning, late in the
evening,
use a UV filter, a polarizing filter, both filters...then
Bracket like hell. (BHL) Change your F-stop up a F-stop or two and
leave the shutter speed alone, go down a couple of F-stops. Put the
F-stop back on what the meter says, and change the shutter speed a
couple of stops each way.

You may end up shooting a lot of photos, but you will get one out of 30
or 40 you can use. In bad light conditions this is not uncommon.

roland

Old July 12th 05, 04:33 PM
Frank ess

Chrlz wrote:
[...]

I wonder if in other locations local photographers of long standing
know when to expect and take advantage of the best conditions for
scenic photography. In San Diego, lower left corner of the continental
USA, they (some of them) do. Nearly every "calendar quality" shot of
this city I have been able to trace harks back to two months: November
and February. It seems the cooler air is less likely to hold
particulate and moisture pollutants, and the sun's angle is most
flattering in color and contour.

At least that is what I observed after they told me of it at a seminar
back in Kodachrome 25 days. The world turns, but not enough to
invalidate those observations, eh?

There are also certain conditions when the infamous Santa Ana winds
from the desert carry clean air (and millions of tiny spiders on their
gossamer strands) into the area and out to sea. If the winds are
strongest here in the south, nice photography any month of the year;
if strongest a bit to the north, they carry the Los Angeles smog out
to sea, and it swirls down the coast and sometimes back on land in our
fair paradise. It's a photo opportunity in itself when the LA smog
sits and grumbles just off the coast, looking like impending doom.

--
Frank ess

Old July 12th 05, 08:54 PM

stuart wrote:
stuart wrote
Am I right in thinking that all hot sunny days will result in
mist over the sea and I will not get a good picture?

Thanks all for the advice, I actually got up this morning at 5.30 to see
what it was like, but very misty. I will try everything suggested, except
for th F stops (until I can find out what it means!)
Cheers all
Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Depending on your camera you should have some control over how much
light you let in. This is the aperture, or F-stop. The higher the
number of the F-stop the smaller the diameter of the opening on your
camera lens.

I am not sure what kind of camera you are shooting with. You owners
manaul will tell you how to adjust the aperture or F-stop. Some of the
point and shoot cameras do not allow much control over this, but most
will allow some.
By bracketing you change the amount of light that goes onto the digital
media.
When people wanted saturated color on slides they would bracket and one
of the bracketed shots would come out with more saturated colors then
the one right on the meter reading. The digital media has been
compared in exposure latittude to slide media, and not negative film.
So bracketing might be a useful thing to do.

I hope this helps explain f-stops. Someone else might be able to
clarify it better.

roland