flash and shutter speed

Old March 3rd 05, 02:36 PM
Scott Norwood

Default flash and shutter speed

I recently got a Yashica Mat TLR and would like to try some flash
shots.

Before now, I've been shooting 35mm and 4x5. I've never used flash
with 4x5, but with 35mm, most cameras have a particular speed at
which they will sync with an electronic flash. You set the shutter
speed dial to "X," then set the lens aperture to the appropriate
value (using either the recommended value for "automatic" flash or
the value obtained by dividing the guide number of the flash by
the distance to the subject). This results in more-or-less properly
exposed pictures.

So...when using a camera which will do flash sync at all speeds,
how does one choose the shutter speed for flash exposures? I don't
have a flash meter.
Old March 3rd 05, 02:41 PM
dadiOH

Scott Norwood wrote:

So...when using a camera which will do flash sync at all speeds,
how does one choose the shutter speed for flash exposures? I don't
have a flash meter.

Shutter speed is immaterial for the strobe since it is normally faster
than any of the shutter speeds.

However, selection of the shutter speed determines how the ambient light
will record; if you want minimal ambient, choose a high shutter speed;
if you want the ambient to record naturally, choose a shutter speed that
will give a normal exposure at whatever f-stop required by the strobe.
It ain't rocket science.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old March 3rd 05, 02:44 PM
David J. Littleboy

"Scott Norwood" wrote:

So...when using a camera which will do flash sync at all speeds,
how does one choose the shutter speed for flash exposures? I don't
have a flash meter.

The short answer: use any shutter speed you want.

The long answer: The aperture alone determines the flash exposure, but the
aperture + shutter speed determine the ambient exposure, so the shutter
speed determines the ratio of flash to ambient exposure.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old March 3rd 05, 02:55 PM
Matt Clara

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Scott Norwood wrote:

So...when using a camera which will do flash sync at all speeds,
how does one choose the shutter speed for flash exposures? I don't
have a flash meter.

Shutter speed is immaterial for the strobe since it is normally faster
than any of the shutter speeds.

However, selection of the shutter speed determines how the ambient light
will record; if you want minimal ambient, choose a high shutter speed;
if you want the ambient to record naturally, choose a shutter speed that
will give a normal exposure at whatever f-stop required by the strobe.
It ain't rocket science.

But if you allow for too much ambient light combined with the strobe, you'll
overexpose the image. It may not be rocket science, but it can't readily be
taught, either, only learned through experience.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old March 4th 05, 04:24 PM
dadiOH

Scott Norwood wrote:

So...when using a camera which will do flash sync at all speeds,
how does one choose the shutter speed for flash exposures? I don't
have a flash meter.

Shutter speed is immaterial for the strobe since it is normally
faster than any of the shutter speeds.

However, selection of the shutter speed determines how the ambient
light will record; if you want minimal ambient, choose a high
shutter speed; if you want the ambient to record naturally, choose a
shutter speed that will give a normal exposure at whatever f-stop
required by the strobe. It ain't rocket science.

But if you allow for too much ambient light combined with the strobe,
you'll overexpose the image. It may not be rocket science, but it
can't readily be taught, either, only learned through experience.

About one roll of film.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...