DSLR

Old December 4th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Samantha Booth

Default DSLR

I have the Canon G9 and was wondering what the difference was between mine
and a DSLR. I know mine is just a digital camera but was wanting to know why
DSLR are different and do they take better pics? Does a DSLR have a actual
film? While I love my Canon G9 I wouldnt mind a entry level half decent DSLR
from Canon to try out.

Thanks Sam

Old December 4th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

Samantha Booth wrote:
I have the Canon G9 and was wondering what the difference was between
mine and a DSLR. I know mine is just a digital camera but was wanting to
know why DSLR are different and do they take better pics? Does a DSLR
have a actual film? While I love my Canon G9 I wouldnt mind a entry
level half decent DSLR from Canon to try out.

Thanks Sam

As posted in p&s.. and without going into ridiculous details:
- the G9 sensor is *much* smaller, which results in high levels of noise
at high ISO settings/ in low-light, less *real* resolution per Mp, and
the inability to achieve shallow depth of field for portraiture, etc.
- you cannot change the lens. While the lens in the G9 is pretty good,
the range of choices for any dslr is much greater and there are much
better performing lenses available.. at a price...
- the autofocus on a dslr is generally faster

Those are the biggies, there are more.. However, you should only
think about a dslr if:
- the G9 is restricting you in some way
- you know that a dslr will help
- you can afford to go down this path

Buying a dslr just with the oft-maligned 'kit lens' may not be a huge
improvement on your G9, depending on what you shoot.

So stick with it and concentrate on the photography without
getting too stressed about your equipment - the G9 is a pretty capable
camera.
Old December 4th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
WyattB

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 12:19:57 +1000, Mark Thomas
wrote:

Buying a dslr just with the oft-maligned 'kit lens' may not be a huge
improvement on your G9, depending on what you shoot.

It also may not be an improvement when buying more expensive glass. "Expensive"
is not automatically equal to "better". (Hasselblad M8 anyone? There's an
instant $43,000 lost to "fools' worship".)

So stick with it and concentrate on the photography without
getting too stressed about your equipment - the G9 is a pretty capable
camera.

OMGawds! A ray of sensibility from a resident-troll! This must be one of those
any of 2-billion different end-times that so many insecure psychotics keep going
on about!! EEEK!!!

Old December 4th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer

Samantha Booth wrote:
I have the Canon G9 and was wondering what the difference was between
mine and a DSLR. I know mine is just a digital camera but was wanting to
know why DSLR are different and do they take better pics? Does a DSLR
have a actual film? While I love my Canon G9 I wouldnt mind a entry
level half decent DSLR from Canon to try out.

Thanks Sam

The main differentiation is, does the viewfinder look optically through
the main lens, or does the viewfinder use an electronic viewscreen. If
your eye is actually viewing the scene through the objective lens it is
a single lens reflex.
Old December 4th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 09:05:55 -0600, Don Stauffer wrote:

Samantha Booth wrote:
I have the Canon G9 and was wondering what the difference was between
mine and a DSLR. I know mine is just a digital camera but was wanting to
know why DSLR are different and do they take better pics? Does a DSLR
have a actual film? While I love my Canon G9 I wouldnt mind a entry
level half decent DSLR from Canon to try out.

Thanks Sam

The main differentiation is, does the viewfinder look optically through
the main lens, or does the viewfinder use an electronic viewscreen. If
your eye is actually viewing the scene through the objective lens it is
a single lens reflex.

Notwithstanding the new Pan 4/3 maybe the future for the DSLR would be the
DEVF. That would be a new camera where the Electronic View Finder
replaces the optical viewfinder and all else stays the same including the
sensor and the lenses. It would seem that you now have the same image
quality, a very high quality EVF and continuous Live View.
Old December 4th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
reid compton

Samantha Booth wrote:
[...]

That would indeed be a shame. Until they get rid of the focal-plane shutter with
all its inherent limitations and drawbacks there will be no real advances in
cameras, nor the photography done with them.

Old December 4th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Don Stauffer wrote:
The main differentiation is, does the viewfinder look optically through
the main lens, or does the viewfinder use an electronic viewscreen. If
your eye is actually viewing the scene through the objective lens it is
a single lens reflex.

Unless somewhere there is a mirror involved it is not a reflex.

jue
Old December 4th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Andrew Koenig

"measekite" wrote in message

Notwithstanding the new Pan 4/3 maybe the future for the DSLR would be the
DEVF. That would be a new camera where the Electronic View Finder
replaces the optical viewfinder and all else stays the same including the
sensor and the lenses. It would seem that you now have the same image
quality, a very high quality EVF and continuous Live View.

The trouble with electronic viewfinders is that the image on them lags a
fraction of a second behind reality, especially in low light. Often that
doesn't matter; but when it does, it really does.

Old December 4th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
LawrenceGlick

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 18:37:47 GMT, "Andrew Koenig" wrote:

"measekite" wrote in message
.. .

Notwithstanding the new Pan 4/3 maybe the future for the DSLR would be the
DEVF. That would be a new camera where the Electronic View Finder
replaces the optical viewfinder and all else stays the same including the
sensor and the lenses. It would seem that you now have the same image
quality, a very high quality EVF and continuous Live View.

The trouble with electronic viewfinders is that the image on them lags a
fraction of a second behind reality, especially in low light. Often that
doesn't matter; but when it does, it really does.

So speaks someone who's never had the pleasure of using a live-view EVF to any
extent, other than playing with them in the local store. That "lag" is the
shutter speed being correctly relayed to the viewfinder. With this you can
dial-in the exact shutter speed that you need to blur moving water or stop the
motion of a bird's wings and see how that shutter speed will precisely effect
the photograph, before you even press the shutter. Think of depth-of-field
preview, but now you don't just get aperture-effects preview, you also get
shutter-speed-effects preview.

Please, idiots, go educate yourselves, get some real experience with real
cameras. Your pretend-photographer net-life troll status is glaringly obvious.

Old December 4th 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Andrew Koenig wrote:
"measekite" wrote in message

Notwithstanding the new Pan 4/3 maybe the future for the DSLR would be the
DEVF. That would be a new camera where the Electronic View Finder
replaces the optical viewfinder and all else stays the same including the
sensor and the lenses. It would seem that you now have the same image
quality, a very high quality EVF and continuous Live View.

The trouble with electronic viewfinders is that the image on them lags a
fraction of a second behind reality, especially in low light. Often that
doesn't matter; but when it does, it really does.

Yes, it's very disconcerting because the lag isn't constant, it varies
by the light level. Don't look for optical viewfinders on D-SLRs to
disappear any time soon.