Nikon D80 verses D90

Old November 24th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Humm

Default Nikon D80 verses D90

Have sold all of my Canon film camera and was looking at the Nikon D90 to
replace it. Can get a really good deal on a D80. Is the D90 worth the extra
money.
Any feedback from D90 users would be appreciated.

Old November 24th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:39:09 -0700, Humm wrote:

Have sold all of my Canon film camera and was looking at the Nikon D90 to
replace it. Can get a really good deal on a D80. Is the D90 worth the extra
money.
Any feedback from D90 users would be appreciated.

Most of my cameras have been chosen from models just before
they've been discontinued. The D90 was an exception, as (for me) it
was sufficiently better than the D80 that it replaced. Here's a
good D90 review that compares it with several of Nikon's other
DSLRs, but primarily with the D80.

http://bythom.com/nikond90review.htm

Old November 25th 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D Lirious

If you are not familiar with dSLR use and image processing either camera
will do.
They are both capable cameras.
However the D90 has two primary advantages: lower noise at higher ISOs and
sensor cleaning. Whether live view and HD video are important to you is up
to you. The higher megapixel count of the D90 is absolutely
meaningless.Having used many high end EV cameras I am at a loss as to how
live view is useful, as compared to tethering your camera to a computer
which can be very useful.
I have a D70 and a D80 and I will likely sit out the upgrade cycle for now
as the D80 as a camera is more capable than I am as a photographer. The
greatest advantage of the D80 over the D70 had nothing to do with the sensor
or the electronics: it was the TTL viewing system.
If you can afford the difference in price by all means go for the D90.

Old November 25th 08, 06:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Humm wrote:
Have sold all of my Canon film camera and was looking at the Nikon D90 to
replace it. Can get a really good deal on a D80. Is the D90 worth the extra
money.
Any feedback from D90 users would be appreciated.

I have a D200, same image & viewfinder as the D80, it's alright but the
D90 looks like a good deal. It's a D300 in a D80 body plus some
improvements for $500 less ($1000). OTOH the D80 seems to be selling for
around $600 which is a bargain.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old November 25th 08, 10:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dimitris M

Is the D90 worth the extra
money.

Absolutely! D80 was not bad at all, but it was, I think, the less innovative
Nikon dSLR. The D90 is an exceptional innovative camera. It is even a little
better than D300 in some aspects and equal to the most. Just more simple and
automatic with less control buttons, less professional. I had a D300, now I
have D700, but I will buy a D90 for its easiness and light weight when
travel. I have try it and I loved it.

--
Dimitris M

Old November 25th 08, 10:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris H

In message , D Lirious
writes
If you are not familiar with dSLR use and image processing either
camera will do.
They are both capable cameras.
However the D90 has two primary advantages: lower noise at higher ISOs
and sensor cleaning. Whether live view and HD video are important to
you is up to you.

I would have said the two primary advantages are higher ISO and video.
The sensor cleaning is a minor item.

Old November 25th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Udo Huebner

ASAAR schrieb:
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:39:09 -0700, Humm wrote:
Most of my cameras have been chosen from models just before
they've been discontinued. The D90 was an exception, as (for me) it
was sufficiently better than the D80 that it replaced. Here's a
good D90 review that compares it with several of Nikon's other
DSLRs, but primarily with the D80.

http://bythom.com/nikond90review.htm

I absolutely second the analysis in the cited link!
Before my shortly finished travel to Egypt (2 weeks) I had the D80
but could get the D90 in time and used it intensively to document
the travel (short under 2000 fotos, JPGs and often NEFs).

My main points are (compared to the D80):
Obviously better colors, reduced noise and therefore usable ISO
automatic in situations where one is in a hurry, and one should not
underestimate the Chromatic Aberration correction which is tedious doing
it manually on such a lot of fotos taken in a country with so much
light. Video was nearly useless but served comfortably for adding
comments to the fotos.

Regards Udo