[photos] fun with macro, water drops, and DVDs

Old June 23rd 08, 01:17 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_14_]

Default [photos] fun with macro, water drops, and DVDs

Nothing on TV last night, so decided to have some fun - macro
style. I've seen this done before, but never tried it myself.

Just trying to get some abstract crazy colouring. I had no idea
what colours were going to be created. And I wasn't expecting
that weird halo sort of effect. Shame about the dust. The DVD
looked pretty clean to the naked eye, but 2:1 lifesize and flash
shows it up unfortunately.

All shot at about 2:1 lifesize with full set of Kenko extension
tubes and 100mm macro lens. Click the images for larger views:

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?album=2008_06_22

--
Troy Piggins
I always appreciate critique.
Old June 23rd 08, 08:04 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Udo Huebner

Troy Piggins schrieb:
Hello Troy -

Nothing on TV last night, so decided to have some fun - macro
style. I've seen this done before, but never tried it myself.

did you see this?

http://www.rohuebner.de/

It is in German but most of the fotos are self explaining.
You will find many very good fotos even of drops under Water!

Regards Udo

Old June 23rd 08, 08:20 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_14_]

* Udo Huebner wrote :
Troy Piggins schrieb:

Nothing on TV last night, so decided to have some fun - macro
style. I've seen this done before, but never tried it myself.

did you see this?

http://www.rohuebner.de/

It is in German but most of the fotos are self explaining.
You will find many very good fotos even of drops under Water!

Thanks for the link, Udo. I haven't seen that site before,
although I have seen similar shots. Next time I am bored, I'll
give that a try.

Old June 24th 08, 01:10 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mark Thomas

Troy Piggins wrote:
Nothing on TV last night, so decided to have some fun - macro
style. I've seen this done before, but never tried it myself.

Just trying to get some abstract crazy colouring. I had no idea
what colours were going to be created. And I wasn't expecting
that weird halo sort of effect. Shame about the dust. The DVD
looked pretty clean to the naked eye, but 2:1 lifesize and flash
shows it up unfortunately.

All shot at about 2:1 lifesize with full set of Kenko extension
tubes and 100mm macro lens. Click the images for larger views:

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?album=2008_06_22

Again, you have piqued my interest, Troy - these are cool.. I sort of
like the dust - somehow makes them look organic or something, although
the rather large amount does cast aspersions about your clean room hi-fi
environment...

I have some rather interestingly 'damaged' cd's that might become rather
photogenic when treated thusly. I might return to this thread later..
Old June 24th 08, 09:27 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_14_]

* Mark Thomas wrote :
Troy Piggins wrote:
Nothing on TV last night, so decided to have some fun - macro
style. I've seen this done before, but never tried it myself.

Just trying to get some abstract crazy colouring. I had no idea
what colours were going to be created. And I wasn't expecting
that weird halo sort of effect. Shame about the dust. The DVD
looked pretty clean to the naked eye, but 2:1 lifesize and flash
shows it up unfortunately.

All shot at about 2:1 lifesize with full set of Kenko extension
tubes and 100mm macro lens. Click the images for larger views:

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?album=2008_06_22

Again, you have piqued my interest, Troy - these are cool..

Thanks mate. Not too many bugs around for macro shooting.
And this can be done in the warmth of your own home.

I sort of like the dust - somehow makes them look organic or
something, although the rather large amount does cast
aspersions about your clean room hi-fi environment...

Ha. Actually I'm pretty anal about keeping my CDs and DVDs
clean from dust and scratches. This was a DVD that hadn't burned
correctly and I had salvaged from the bin so I couldn't
potentially damage one of my real DVDs.

I have some rather interestingly 'damaged' cd's that might
become rather photogenic when treated thusly. I might return
to this thread later..

Look forward to it. I want to try some different lighting angles
to see if any other colours appear, or if it's always the same.
This was just with my normal macro rig, flash top left of lens.

Old June 25th 08, 11:32 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Troy Piggins wrote:
Nothing on TV last night, so decided to have some fun - macro
style. I've seen this done before, but never tried it myself.

Just trying to get some abstract crazy colouring. I had no idea
what colours were going to be created. And I wasn't expecting
that weird halo sort of effect. Shame about the dust. The DVD
looked pretty clean to the naked eye, but 2:1 lifesize and flash
shows it up unfortunately.

All shot at about 2:1 lifesize with full set of Kenko extension
tubes and 100mm macro lens. Click the images for larger views:

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?album=2008_06_22

Cool. Must try.

Hmmm ... get a black light... never know... (and/or simply add a gel to
your flash head).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 26th 08, 04:34 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_14_]

* Alan Browne wrote :
Troy Piggins wrote:
Nothing on TV last night, so decided to have some fun - macro
style. I've seen this done before, but never tried it myself.

Just trying to get some abstract crazy colouring. I had no idea
what colours were going to be created. And I wasn't expecting
that weird halo sort of effect. Shame about the dust. The DVD
looked pretty clean to the naked eye, but 2:1 lifesize and flash
shows it up unfortunately.

All shot at about 2:1 lifesize with full set of Kenko extension
tubes and 100mm macro lens. Click the images for larger views:

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?album=2008_06_22

Cool. Must try.

Hmmm ... get a black light... never know... (and/or simply add a gel to
your flash head).

Good idea! I've got hundreds of them unused to date in a Rosco
swatch pack. And the lighting at different angles must give
different effects. Let's play!

Old June 26th 08, 05:40 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Blinky the Shark

Troy Piggins wrote:

* Mark Thomas wrote :
Troy Piggins wrote:
Nothing on TV last night, so decided to have some fun - macro style.
I've seen this done before, but never tried it myself.

Just trying to get some abstract crazy colouring. I had no idea what
colours were going to be created. And I wasn't expecting that weird
halo sort of effect. Shame about the dust. The DVD looked pretty
clean to the naked eye, but 2:1 lifesize and flash shows it up
unfortunately.

All shot at about 2:1 lifesize with full set of Kenko extension tubes
and 100mm macro lens. Click the images for larger views:

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?album=2008_06_22

Again, you have piqued my interest, Troy - these are cool..

Thanks mate. Not too many bugs around for macro shooting. And this
can be done in the warmth of your own home.

Hi, Troy.

Coincidentally, the other day I got my reverse mount in the mail, and
spent a night playing with that and my 18-55 at 18. This was part of my
testing, not an attempt at art!

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/reversed_...eedle_3333.jpg

Normal sized needle and thread. Background is silk.

It was fun experimentation and my first macro[1] attempt with the D60...

....then, as I was heading for bed I spied a spider in the bathtub. I
chased him around for a while. He won.

[1] Shooting a ruler, my first testing, showed I was getting 4:1.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

Old June 26th 08, 06:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_14_]

* Blinky the Shark wrote :
Troy Piggins wrote:

* Mark Thomas wrote :
Troy Piggins wrote:
[...]

Pretty impressive detail.

It was fun experimentation and my first macro[1] attempt with the D60...

...then, as I was heading for bed I spied a spider in the bathtub. I
chased him around for a while. He won.

Get your fitness up and go shoot more bugs. They're all over the
place in your hemisphere at the moment. I'm jealous.

[1] Shooting a ruler, my first testing, showed I was getting 4:1.

Wow. Better mag than I would have thought. Can you control
apertures reverse mounted?

Old June 26th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Blinky the Shark

Troy Piggins wrote:

* Blinky the Shark wrote :
Troy Piggins wrote:

* Mark Thomas wrote :
Troy Piggins wrote:
[...]

For a $29.99 reverse mount (and Nikon makes precious few accessories in
that price range g), I was quite pleased. Yesterday I picked up a
remote shutter release. Probably the only Nikon object that's even less
(about $16). How do they stay in business?! Oh, yeah......cameras and
lenses that cost as much as cars. That's right.

It was fun experimentation and my first macro[1] attempt with the
D60...

...then, as I was heading for bed I spied a spider in the bathtub. I
chased him around for a while. He won.

Get your fitness up and go shoot more bugs. They're all over the place
in your hemisphere at the moment. I'm jealous.

I will. I'm jealous of your macro lens. Yes, I've been shopping. As
for less-magnification macro-ing, at the 55mm end of that lens, still
reversed, the ruler shots show I'm getting 1:1.25 .

Quick story. With no live view, there was no way I was going to get a
look at what I was shooting when I was bent over the tub with the spider.
Despite the DOF (and scene size) you know I was getting with macro (I
cheated and went to the longer end of that lens, but it was still
reversed.) So I actually chased him around for five minutes with "iron
sights"; i.e., just pointing the damned camera at him and pulling the
trigger. I actually got two shots of him that way! Not good, but
*considering how I was shooting*, I was lucky to get *anything*.
Here's one of them:

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/grab_shot_1.jpg

Not a big spider, either

[1] Shooting a ruler, my first testing, showed I was getting 4:1.

Wow. Better mag than I would have thought. Can you control apertures
reverse mounted?

Extremely crudely. I have to manually adjust the iris with my finger
on the lever out at the front. If I'm holding it open (default is closed)
part way, I have no way of knowing the the fstop, but I did do some of
that -- you can get a *rough* feel for the iris position, kind of the way
you know how far to turn on the sink faucet without looking at it. For my
testing, I had enough light that I could frame and focus wide open and
let it stop down all the way (f22 at the wide end of that lens) for
shooting.[1] That's how I did the needle and thread. (And that's an
uncropped shot.)

[1] On-camera popup flash, firing a Vivitar 283 strobe on each side
of the subject via a Wein Peanut optical slave trigger for each Vivitar.