Flash sync - followup question

Old January 15th 05, 08:26 PM

Default Flash sync - followup question

I did find out that the Kiev 60 will not fire the "X" sync at speeds
above 1/30. I assume this is true of other MF FP SLRs as well. But as
I was thinking about how to (or who to go to) modify a Kiev 60 to fire
the flash at higher speeds, I realized that the timing would have to
change as well. Today, I assume the Kiev 60 fires the flash after the
first shutter curtain has completely opened. If you had a flash unit
that could deliver say 1/25 sec of light, then the best time to fire the
flash would be at the start of the first shutter curtain's travel. Am I
correct?
Thanks

Old January 16th 05, 01:43 AM
Fred Leif

The 'best' time to fire the flash is when the entire negative area is
uncovered by the focal plan shutter. That is when the first curtain has
completed its travel, and before the second curtain has begun to move. The
flash duration is very short. Anything else and the negative area will not
be fully uncovered to benefit from the effects of the momentary pulse of
light from the electronic flash unit. A faster synch time means the
curtains would have to move very much faster which is an expensive
engineering problem.

Old January 16th 05, 01:53 AM
jjs

"Fred Leif" wrote in message
The 'best' time to fire the flash is when the entire negative area is
uncovered by the focal plan shutter. That is when the first curtain has
completed its travel, and before the second curtain has begun to move.

*sigh*, I'm so glad I still use flashbulbs.