books on digital photography

Old May 5th 07, 09:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Joan

Default books on digital photography

Do you know what's good about hitting your head against a brick wall?

--
Joan

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
:
: Top posters don't either.
:
:
:
: C'mon, Joanie, you can do better.
:
: --
: lsmft

Old May 5th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike Warren

Joan wrote:

Do you know what's good about hitting your head against a brick wall?

Hang on, I'll give it a go....

Ouch! ;-)

--
-Mike

Old May 5th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Joan

Was it good when you stopped?

--
Joan

"Mike Warren" wrote in message
: Hang on, I'll give it a go....
:
: Ouch! ;-)
:
: --
: -Mike
:
: --
: Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
:

Old May 5th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike Warren

Joan wrote:

Was it good when you stopped?

I can stop now? Thanks. :-)

--
-Mike

Old May 5th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Say Cheese

"william kossack" wrote in message
I use a news reader so I can see the order of the posts and read them in

snip
I use a news reader so I can see the order of the posts and read them in
order.

for those on the dark side read the other end

I thought the blogs had killed off use(less) net by now, wrong again but...

ratio of time invested vs useful info has been on the decline for reasons
that are obvious

Old May 5th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On May 3, 11:25 pm, william kossack wrote:
I love my D200. I've taken a few test pics such as

http://home.comcast.net/~wskossack/boxes/bee.html

We also got a new point and shoot camera (but a good one) for my
daughter and I've been wondering about books that would help the both of
us understand digital photography.

William,
You don't say where you live, but check out local camera clubs near
you. Find one that accepts beginners to advanced. A good place to
start is Google search, clubs photography, or clubs camera. This is
one of the best places to get free advice, compete, and view other
people's work.

Old May 6th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

specialty wrote:

And 97% of camera owners top post, can't focus, and use their camera
flash to photograph night landscapes too :-)

97% of the folks here are using Outlook Express for their newsreader and
well know the story

"J?rgen Exner" wrote in message
[Fullquote intended]
specialty wrote:
thanks for the advice everybody

Advise on what? Would be nice if you had quoted enough context such that
people would know what your are talking about.

jue

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old May 6th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Say Cheese wrote:

"william kossack" wrote in message
I use a news reader so I can see the order of the posts and read them in

snip
I use a news reader so I can see the order of the posts and read them in
order.

for those on the dark side read the other end

I thought the blogs had killed off use(less) net by now, wrong again but...

ratio of time invested vs useful info has been on the decline for reasons
that are obvious

One can tell how important a poster thinks their communication is by
the amount of time they obviously spent on it :-)

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old May 6th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2007-05-03 20:25:44 -0700, william kossack said:

I love my D200. I've taken a few test pics such as

http://home.comcast.net/~wskossack/boxes/bee.html

We also got a new point and shoot camera (but a good one) for my
daughter and I've been wondering about books that would help the both
of us understand digital photography.

Scott Kelby's book on digital photography, "The Digital Photography
Book" is easy to understand and not too bad. I also like "How to
Photograph Your Life" by Nick Kelsh. I consider Kelsh's book to be
essential for beginners. Also good is "The Digital SLR Bible" by Nigel
Hicks, which probably will do more to show you how to take the pictures
you really want to take more than any other book. However, most
photographers, including me, will see the greatest improvement in their
pictures through a careful and thorough study of light and lighting.

For something specific to the Nikon D200, of course, the best book is
Thom Hogan's digital book, which can only be ordered from his web site.
The book "Nikon Creative Lighting System Digital Field Guide" by J.
Dennis Thomas will help you get the most out of Nikon's almost magical
lighting system. As a Nikon user, you definitely want to read this
book. Almost all of these books are a little light (so to speak) on
Nikon's close-up lighting system, but I should mention that this kit
does far more than close-up and macro photography. Fortunately, the kit
comes with a sample book that you will definitely not want to throw
away.

One book that will greatly increase your understanding of lighting in
digital photography is "Exposure and Lighting for Digital Photogaphers
Only" by Michael Meadhra and Charlotte K. Lowrie. It tells you how to
achieve almost any lighting effect using conventional means, but read
in conjunction with Thomas' book you begin to get some idea of what
Nikon's CLS is really capable of.

Now, you might think this is odd, but you might take a look at a book
on wedding photography, such as "Wedding Photography Art, Business and
Style" by Steve Sint. The fact is, though, wedding photographers live
and die by how well they make people look good. This book will show you
everything you need to know to make people look fantastic.

Last of all, not a book, but an equipment recommendation: Gary Fong's
cloud diffuser. It comes with a DVD that will show you exactly what
different kinds of lighting do. Gary Fong is a wedding photographer,
but I guarantee that you will learn a lot about taking pictures of
people from the DVD. Plus, the cloud diffuser is a pretty decent and
relatively inexpensive piece of equipment.

Beyond that, it is a matter of just taking pictures. Make assignments
for yourself and for your daughter -- today I am going to look for
color, or texture, or experiment with depth of field, or a close-up, or
a landscape, or a portrait. Compare each others' work and critique it
heavily -- look for the positives and talk about how you would improve
the shot, what a different angle or view would look like, etc. I also
like to read books on Impressionist art in order to study composition
and style, as well as National Geographic coffee table books, studying
the pictures and thinking about how I would duplicate those effects.

Photographers are no more original or creative than other folks. We
stand on the shoulders of giants, each of us adding, I hope, to the sum
total of knowledge, art and beauty of mankind and world around us.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor