Update On1 Photo raw

Old August 15th 17, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Update On1 Photo raw

We did a screen share today, and I duplicated the crashing issue. I
think they understand that there is a memory handling issue. There was
a new build available (internally to On1) today, so we installed that,
and it appeared to help quite a bit, although it finally choked on
some huge files. I think it's usable now, and the final new build will
be available to everyone later this week, so it might get better.

Duck noted something in the log about VRAM, and it looks like this
program does not find an actual number if you are using onboard
graphics like I am, and it just assumes 256 MB. With a separate card,
it will find the correct amount of video memory, but I really don't
want to spend another couple of hundred dollars to fix software that I
paid $50 for. I still might because LR could be a little bit peppier,
if you know what I mean, especially when using spot removal on large
areas, and trying to move the source bubble around.
Old August 15th 17, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 15, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

We did a screen share today, and I duplicated the crashing issue. I
think they understand that there is a memory handling issue. There was
a new build available (internally to On1) today, so we installed that,
and it appeared to help quite a bit, although it finally choked on
some huge files. I think it's usable now, and the final new build will
be available to everyone later this week, so it might get better.

I hope that you get to solve all the issues your are, or have experienced
with On1 Photo RAW, as it does have much to offer.

Duck noted something in the log about VRAM, and it looks like this
program does not find an actual number if you are using onboard
graphics like I am, and it just assumes 256 MB. With a separate card,
it will find the correct amount of video memory, but I really don't
want to spend another couple of hundred dollars to fix software that I
paid $50 for. I still might because LR could be a little bit peppier,
if you know what I mean, especially when using spot removal on large
areas, and trying to move the source bubble around.

Surprisingly the heal/erase tool in On1 PR is very effective, and in many
ways I prefer that method, and the PS Healing tool to the Lightroom/ACR
method of spot removal. That said there are times the LR/ACR method is better
suited for clean up in large color fields, such as dust spots in the sky.

Savageduck

Old August 16th 17, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 15:42:48 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 15, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

[...]

Thanks for mentioning that. I tried a quick fix on a photo, and it
didn't work at all, but now I know I should look into it. I did find
out that there are multiple ways to do things, but both their module
and menu setups are not at all intuitive to me. I did a family
gathering for a friend the other day - something I never do, and I now
find myself doing skin touchups. There are (at least) two areas to go
in On1, and they both do different things. It would appear at first
that the local adjustments are very limited in the develop module, but
if you go to other modules - in this case the effects module, you can
brush corrections onto the photos. You have to do what I feel is too
much menu diving, but at least it's there. Somewhere.

Shiny skin is one I was trying to do for the first time, and after
some Googling, I learned that it's pretty easily done in both PS & LR.
I also learned that in LR there are adjustment brush effects presets
for portrait touchup, and those are adjustable. And finally, I was
reminded that what you can do in both is overwhelming. It would
probably take me years to learn even half of it.
Old August 16th 17, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 15, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 15:42:48 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 15, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

[...]

With LR (& somethimes PS) a good starting point into the mysteries of
Lightroom is Julieanne Kost. She deals with all things Lightroom, be they
desktop of mobile. Scroll through her tutorials to see what grabs your
interest.
There is other stuff on Youtube just search; “Lightroom portrait
retouch”.
The same applies to On1 RAW.
Obvously some of these are better than others, and some evaluation of how the
technique fits your workflow is needed.
http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...etouching +tu
torial
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=on1+photo+raw+portrait

Savageduck

Old August 16th 17, 12:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 16, 2017, Paul Carmichael wrote
(in article ):

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+retouching +
tu
torial
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=on1+photo+raw+portrait

I might follow some of that advice. I am going to have to justify the expense
on the new
kit :-)

You would be surprised at what you can learn, and how you can introduce some
of those techniques, and variations of them i9nto your workflow, as needed.

Savageduck

Old August 16th 17, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/15/2017 7:00 PM, Bill W wrote:
On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 15:42:48 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 15, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

[...]

I would be happy if I learned half in a few years. 26% of it owuld hake
me content.

--
PeterN
Old August 16th 17, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/16/2017 7:46 AM, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

I would think that the idea is not to take the examples literally, but
to try to apply the examples to the current problem. A few posts above
you were talking about shiny skin retouching. I have not figured out how
to apply that technique to foliage.

--
PeterN
Old August 18th 17, 11:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 17:23:06 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 15, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 15:42:48 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 15, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

[...]

The new build was released today.
Old August 19th 17, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 18, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

The new build was released today.

Yup! I got the notification.

What I like is they are constantly dealing with feedback, and fixing bugs
along with adding features, and improvements. This is not the same program
that was released last year.

For those who are not aware of what we are talking about, here is the support
page with the update details, and download link.
https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/235180448

Savageduck

Old August 19th 17, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 16:04:40 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 18, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

The new build was released today.

Yup! I got the notification.

What I like is they are constantly dealing with feedback, and fixing bugs
along with adding features, and improvements. This is not the same program
that was released last year.

For those who are not aware of what we are talking about, here is the support
page with the update details, and download link.
https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/235180448

They do seem to have dropped some of the skin retouching tools in the
effects module, though. They do have a retouch brush, and I don't know
if that is new, but it appears to sample the surrounding area, and
paint over the area you're retouching. It works fine as long as there
is a usable surrounding area. I tried it on some shiny skin, and after
adjusting the opacity, it works great, and is actually much faster
than using LR or PS. I have to play around a bit more, and maybe rtfm,
but I think it'll be very handy.