S3 IS = anyone unhappy?

Old September 15th 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
David J Taylor

Default S3 IS = anyone unhappy?

Andrew MacPherson wrote:
(measekite) wrote:

the FZ7 or maybe the future FZ8 in about 6 months appear to be the
EVFs of choice.

FZ7 is only about 115k pixels though, like the S series.

For the size and weight and inconvenience of the FZ50 you might
as well consider a Canon DR XTi with the kit lense.

Agreed. I know people say you lose the zoom range & IS, but by gaining
IQ & ISO you can crop and end up with a similar result while gaining
dSLR benefits elsewhere.

It's an increasingly complicated price range to be buying in. That's
another reason why the cheaper S3 appeals. :-)

Andrew McP

The best electronic viewfinder I've seen is the Minolta A2, which had VGA
resolution (misleadingly described as "over 900,000 pixels" - it's
actually 307,200 RGB pixels). Why this quality of EVF hasn't spear
throughout the better cameras I don't know, although I suspect cost
saving.

You are fooling yourself if you think that a cropped DSLR with a kit lens
can come anything close to a ZLR with a 400mm+ lens. The kit lens is
18-55mm. With the 1.6X sensor crop, that's about 88mm maximum. 10MP. to
get 432mm focal length requires taking the central 1/5 of the image, so
your 10MP becomes 400K pixels. To get similar zoom results would require
a lens of at least 250mm actual focal length.

By the way, the results from my 5MP Panasonic FZ5 appear noticeably
sharper than those from a friend's 6MP Canon S3 IS, if that matters to
you.

David

Old September 15th 06, 08:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
Andrew MacPherson

(David J Taylor) wrote:

it's actually 307,200 RGB pixels).

Nice pixel count. I love EVFs for their WYSIWYG performance. Plus folk
look like right Noddys stood staring at the camera's LCD. ;-)

You are fooling yourself if you think that a cropped DSLR with a kit
lens can come anything close to a ZLR with a 400mm+ lens.

I was thinking more in terms of a (real world) 200mm dSLR picture giving
something similar to 400mm ZLR when IQ was taken into consideration. I
might be being wildly optimistic. :-)

the results from my 5MP Panasonic FZ5 appear noticeably
sharper than those from a friend's 6MP Canon S3 IS

In that price range I'd prefer the movie mode & AA batteries of the S3.
Obviously that's a very personal choice though, because for me 6MP is
more than enough, and has plenty of room for sharpening & shrinking.

Andrew McP
Old September 15th 06, 09:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
David J Taylor

Andrew MacPherson wrote:
[]
I was thinking more in terms of a (real world) 200mm dSLR picture
giving something similar to 400mm ZLR when IQ was taken into
consideration. I might be being wildly optimistic. :-)

You are!

Take a look at:
http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/imaging/moon.htm
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/moon-test1/

to see how a DSLR and good ZLR compare.

the results from my 5MP Panasonic FZ5 appear noticeably
sharper than those from a friend's 6MP Canon S3 IS

In that price range I'd prefer the movie mode & AA batteries of the
S3. Obviously that's a very personal choice though, because for me
6MP is more than enough, and has plenty of room for sharpening &
shrinking.

Andrew McP

Personal choice - but I am delighted to be free of AA batteries. Of
course, I do wish that my cameras etc. all took a standard single Li-Ion
battery and could use a common charger! G

David

Old September 15th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
Andrew MacPherson

(David J Taylor) wrote:

Of course, I do wish that my cameras etc. all took a standard
single Li-Ion battery and could use a common charger! G

I'd be *very* happy with a superior replacement to the ubiquitous AA, but
until then I'd rather have one battery format and one charger to think
about. I have enough wall-warts already to last me a lifetime... and
then some!

Andrew McP... wondering just how many redundant wall-warts there are in
the world. Billions?