Taken from a WindowSeat in an Airplane

Old March 29th 04, 11:19 PM
-xiray-

Default Taken from a WindowSeat in an Airplane

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:11:13 +0200, "WindowSeat Photographer"
wrote:

http://www.windowseat.nl

For a view from the inside out,

Wow, a cloud and a partial airplane wing.

Yawn. You and untold millions of others.

Old March 30th 04, 02:45 PM
warren montgomery

wrote:

http://www.windowseat.nl

For a view from the inside out,

Wow, a cloud and a partial airplane wing.

Yawn. You and untold millions of others.

Not quite fair. That seems to be one of those sites where it takes some
work to find the pictures. The poster is clearly a world traveller with
some interesting shots in among those that are clouds and wing. I was kind
of hoping for more on technique for taking better pictures through airplane
windows when I saw this. I've taken a few I'm not ashamed of and one that
appears in a book (it's a glacier shot in a geology text), but in spite of
the dazzling view through the window it's remakably hard to get pictures
that look decent.
--
Warren Montgomery (
http://home.att.net/~wamontgomery )

Old March 30th 04, 03:58 PM
-xiray-

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 07:45:02 -0600, "warren montgomery"
wrote:

Not quite fair. That seems to be one of those sites where it takes some
work to find the pictures. The poster is clearly a world traveller with
some interesting shots in among those that are clouds and wing. I was kind
of hoping for more on technique for taking better pictures through airplane
windows when I saw this. I've taken a few I'm not ashamed of and one that
appears in a book (it's a glacier shot in a geology text), but in spite of
the dazzling view through the window it's remakably hard to get pictures
that look decent.

It is hard to take pictures through two (or more panes of
glass/plastic)... have you ever seen how crazed the windows actually
are in a commercial airliner?

But that aside, there are a ton of pictures of clouds at 35,000 feet
that also include an airplane wing. I think that everyone with a
camera has probably taken one of those. There's nothing unique or
interesting about the OP's particular photo.

To clarify, I am sure that there are quite a few great aerial
photographs... but the OP's is not one of them.

Old April 3rd 04, 12:28 PM
BJPruett

Yes, I was also hoping that we could have a helpful discussion about
taking photos from airplane windows. Let me give a couple of tips of
how I do it and maybe some others can join in with their advice.

The first thing I do when preparing to make a reservation for each
flight is try to determine which side of the plane the sun will be on
during my flight. Then I know which side of the plane I will want to
sit on... the side opposite the sun. I don't want to shoot into the sun
and I don't want the sun's rays reflecting off the 2 plane windows I
have to deal with.

The second thing I do on each flight is ask for a seat assignment in
front of the wing or far enough behind it that I can take photos easily.
The airline booking agent can call up an outline of the plane on her/his
computer screen and work this out with you, depending on which seats are
available.

Of course I want a clean window, or one that is relatively clean.
Unfortunately, I can't determine this ahead of time. All I can do is
pray and hope for the best. If I do get assigned to an especially dirty
window, I can asked to be moved to another seat. IF the flight isn't
totally filled up, I can often be accomodated. But if the flight is
full, I'm out of luck. But even if the window has some dirt or dust on
it, you can shoot around it or through it with some success. And it's
possible that it won't show up your photos at all. This is because you
are focusing on the ground elements, not the window itself. If you are
trying to photograph the Grand Canyon, the Colorado Rockies, or the Ohio
River, there's enough complexity to the photos that light dirt on the
window won't show up in the picture.

My biggest problem is clarity and brightness. Some photos have turned
out terrific and others so dark and bland that they are worthless. They
look like they have a glaze over them. And I can not tell how they are
going to turn out when I am taking them. I get clear focus, the colors
are bright. And yet the finished product is not anywhere near as good as
I had expected. I'm assuming that shooting through 2 windows is the
problem. But does anyone have any suggestions about how to
improve my chances? Does anyone have some guidelines about taking photos
through airplane windows? What works best for you?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Barbara

warren montgomery wrote:

.. .

Old April 5th 04, 03:16 PM
Richard Gosney

In Article . net,BJPruett
wrote:

Yes, I was also hoping that we could have a helpful discussion about
taking photos from airplane windows. Let me give a couple of tips of
how I do it and maybe some others can join in with their advice.

Piece of advice that I read somewhere (can't remember exactly where at this
moment) was to use a rubber lens hood. This allows you to press the camera
up against the window at different angles and prevents light getting in from
reflections etc. Not tried it yet, but have purchased a lens hood for this
very reason for a trip later in the year.

ReGards,
Richard G.

Old April 10th 04, 08:49 PM
RSD99

HEY ...

Give up on it ... we've seen it!

"WindowSeat Photographer" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.windowseat.nl

New April Wallpaper online

Windowseat Rick In The Darkroom 0 February 21st 04 01:47 PM
Windowseat Rick Advanced Photography 0 February 21st 04 01:47 PM