Canon 20D Setup for Stage Photos

Old November 12th 04, 03:23 PM
Jerry Shaw

Default Canon 20D Setup for Stage Photos

I'll be going to a bodybuilding, modeling and fitness convention and contest
next weekend here in Anaheim. There will be stage presentations.

I just got a Canon 20D with an assortment of lenses (18-55, 28-135 IS, 75-300
IS), and a 580-EX flash. (The 20D has ASA speeds from 100 to 3,200. The lenses
are all 5.6 at their maximum zoom)

I need some quick-and-dirty preliminary settings for the 20D, that I can use
as a starting point for my photos, so I won't miss the first ones I take.

Assuming I won't have the opportunity to use the flash (too far away), and a
5.6 F-stop, what is the best ASA speed to get pictures of the contestants on
stage, that will give me the best compromise between fast shutter speed and
pixel noise? I don't know the lighting there, but assume it will be pretty
uniform and moderately bright (subjectively, of course).

For the bodybuilding and model competitions, I presume I can use a slower
shutter speed and lower ASA, as there will be little movement and pauses
between. But for the fitness routines, the contestants will almost certainly
be moving, doing their routines. For these, I will need a faster shutter speed
to stop the action.

Any suggestions?

Jerry
Old November 12th 04, 04:31 PM
YAG-ART

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:23:39 GMT, Jerry Shaw
wrote:

I'll be going to a bodybuilding, modeling and fitness convention and contest
next weekend here in Anaheim. There will be stage presentations.

Assuming I won't have the opportunity to use the flash (too far away), and a
5.6 F-stop, what is the best ASA speed to get pictures of the contestants on
stage, that will give me the best compromise between fast shutter speed and
pixel noise? I don't know the lighting there, but assume it will be pretty
uniform and moderately bright (subjectively, of course).

It's all ISO speed now, ASA is the old terminology. All I can tell
you is use the lowest you can, it all depends on how much light there
is.
Old November 12th 04, 08:02 PM
ZONED!

wrote:

[...]

If it was my assignment I would check out the
lighting/shooting/distance conditions. Without knowing those, take all
3 and get there early.

Old November 13th 04, 04:03 PM
Bob Shomler

Jerry Shaw wrote in message . ..
[...]

In this environment, 5.6 is going to be very limiting. I do quite a
bit of dance photography using a 10D. For this I use 2.8 lenses:
70-200 and 28-70; both areneeded: one for compositions of one or just
a few dancers and the other for larger groups or full stage width. I
begin with ISO 800, frequently have to go up to 1600. In very bright
stage lights sometimes I'm able to get 1/250 and 1/320 - 1/400 for
dance action shots at 5.6 with ISO 800 when dancers were in white or
bright colored costumes. In other similarly lit scenes but darker
costumes it can be 1/160 at 4.5 ISO 800. You can see examples at
www.shomler.com/dance/coppelia, from which I cited the above
shooting values. This is among the brightest lit example; many others
that appear bright to the eye require 1/160 or slower at 2.8.

For what you describe: I'd guess you'll be there before action starts
so you can select an initially useful focal length lens. You may also
have time to experiment before any real action if the lights are on
and someone comes up to make announcements, introductions or the like.
Set your camera for preview with info; shoot one or two at 800 and
look at your histogram. Watch too for blown highlights -- plan to
quickly move exposure compensation.

Definitely shoot raw. Even if you have to underexpose to capture
movement, you can recover quite a bit with the raw processor. If
you're using Photoshop CS its raw noise filtering can help at
1600-3200. Also check out Neat Image.

Bob Shomler
www.shomler.com
Old November 14th 04, 06:04 AM
Jerry Shaw

Bob,

(Bob Shomler) wrote:

Jerry Shaw wrote in message . ..
[...]

For right now, I'm stuck with 5.6 (at maximum zoom). I'll have to see what the
lighting is like when I get there, maybe during the first couple
presentations. I'll have to adapt on-the-fly.

For the posing competition, the routines should be slow enough that I can use
1/125, maybe less (I have Image Stabilized lenses). For the action/dancing
routines, I'd really like to go to 1/400 or so. But I'll have to see on that.
I think the lighting may not be that good.

For what you describe: I'd guess you'll be there before action starts
so you can select an initially useful focal length lens. You may also
have time to experiment before any real action if the lights are on
and someone comes up to make announcements, introductions or the like.
Set your camera for preview with info; shoot one or two at 800 and
look at your histogram. Watch too for blown highlights -- plan to
quickly move exposure compensation.

I'll be looking for those. But they may not be a problem on the subjects
themselves, just with other parts of the pictures. I'll look at the histogram
at least until I get the initial settings. I may decide to go with manual
settings, if the light is uniform.

Definitely shoot raw. Even if you have to underexpose to capture
movement, you can recover quite a bit with the raw processor. If
you're using Photoshop CS its raw noise filtering can help at
1600-3200. Also check out Neat Image.

Shooting in raw will give me two problems. First, it will limit me to about
1,000 pictures on my 9GB of cards (though I have a portable 40GB reader I plan
on using). Second, on another group, the pros there said they use JPEG. They
said that with raw, the camera can't get the data to the card as fast as the
camera can take pictures, and sometimes you have to wait.

I think I'll go with JPEG, as it will give me the maximum number of pictures,
and they are just for me, not for publication.

Bob Shomler
www.shomler.com

Thanks for the information,

Jerry