An all-in-one lense for the digital rebel

Old December 17th 04, 09:51 PM
Toomanyputters

Default An all-in-one lense for the digital rebel

Any recommendations? Possibly up to 300mm.

Old December 18th 04, 01:47 AM
Wright

On 12/17/04 3:51 PM, in article
, "Toomanyputters"
wrote:

Any recommendations? Possibly up to 300mm.

First there is no true all in one lens. But, since you did not specify cost
or weight as a limitation, the closest recommendation that I could come up
with is Canon's EF 28-300 L IS USM. That would meet your 300 mm
specification, plus it would give you some wide angle capability. Of course
it would cost twice your dRebel.

Old December 18th 04, 02:02 AM
Charles Schuler

"Wright" wrote in message
. ..
On 12/17/04 3:51 PM, in article
, "Toomanyputters"
wrote:

Any recommendations? Possibly up to 300mm.

First there is no true all in one lens. But, since you did not specify
cost
or weight as a limitation, the closest recommendation that I could come up
with is Canon's EF 28-300 L IS USM. That would meet your 300 mm
specification, plus it would give you some wide angle capability. Of
course
it would cost twice your dRebel.

Doesn't all in one mean you can carry it without an assistant and perhaps
pay for it without a second mortgage? Laughing, not being critical.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04...non28300is.asp

It is no doubt a wonderful lens, but too much (in many respects) for most of
us.

Old December 18th 04, 02:02 AM
Charles Schuler

"Wright" wrote in message
. ..
On 12/17/04 3:51 PM, in article
, "Toomanyputters"

Old December 18th 04, 01:51 PM
JohnR

To retain wide angle capabilities, you need to go out to 18 - 20mm. Nothing
with do that and go to 300mm. The prosumer 10x camera is what you need.

You may have bought the Rebel for the better image quality though.
Interchangeable lens cameras are available for that purpose. Why not get a
couple lenses. I carry 3. The 18-55, 80-200 and 50mm.
John

"Toomanyputters" wrote in message
. ..
Any recommendations? Possibly up to 300mm.

Old December 18th 04, 02:17 PM

I agree that no one lens will go to 300mm well in a zoom without the
cost of the L lens already mentioned or the 100-400mm L lens. I think
at least two lens are required and if wide angle is important the
18-55mm would be a good choice along with a longer lens like the
70-200mm f4 l. If wide angle isn't important then the 28-135mm IS lens
would be a good choice. The 70-200mm f4 L is a bargin with it's great
optics and price.

Quite frankly, cost is always a factor but from experience I can tell
that you should buy lens slowly and buy the best you can afford. Build
a lens kit for the future that will give you excellent images and allow
you to move up camera body wish as you get more money and technology
improves.

I say this because when I started with my first EOS sytem I bought lens
for my lens kit that disappointed me and I constantly ended up selling
lens and buying new ones until I ended up with lens I was satisfied
with.

The 28-135mm IS lens is excellent in terms of image quality and has IS.
It doesn't cost the price of an L lens but gives excellent performance.
It is equivalent to 46-212mm on the rebel. I have L lens and this lens
and the images match up nicely. This is a great all around lens and
would be used most of the time.

Art

Old December 18th 04, 08:42 PM
paul

[...]

I got a 28-300 for my Nikon & am disappointed with the fuzziness. I read
the advice to get a wide angle zoom & a 200ish tele zoom & skip the
middle bit. Also I wish I'd got an anti-shake type lense. Also I miss
being able to do macros. Tough choices compared to P&S!