Canon Powershot G7

Old September 16th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
QX

Default Canon Powershot G7

The G7 camera is due to be released in November.
Can I safely assume that the "G" series is the most
sophistocated P&S that Canon markets?
Old September 16th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
David J Taylor

QX wrote:
The G7 camera is due to be released in November.
Can I safely assume that the "G" series is the most
sophistocated P&S that Canon markets?

I would see the lack of RAW output, the limited zoom (200mm), lack of
swivel LCD, and lack of EVF making the "most sophisticated P&S" not
applicable.

In fact, many of the Canon DSLRs can operate in P&S mode......

David

Old September 16th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
Daniel Silevitch

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 14:09:07 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
QX wrote:
The G7 camera is due to be released in November.
Can I safely assume that the "G" series is the most
sophistocated P&S that Canon markets?

I would see the lack of RAW output, the limited zoom (200mm), lack of
swivel LCD, and lack of EVF making the "most sophisticated P&S" not
applicable.

You could make an argument either way. It has a flash hotshoe, more
pixels and a bigger sensor than the nearest competitor (the S3IS), an
optical viewfinder (preferred by many over an EVF), etc. I'm a little
surprised that they didn't try to focus more on the wide-angle range of
focal lengths, leaving the long zoom regime to the S3.

In fact, many of the Canon DSLRs can operate in P&S mode......

Heh.

-dms
Old September 18th 06, 10:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
corks

wierd my G2 has raw mode , is it something they dropped because hardly
"'any'' of the punters use it ????

Old September 19th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
VK

corks wrote:
wierd my G2 has raw mode , is it something they dropped because hardly
"'any'' of the punters use it ????

I dont get it either.

Yeah, I've heard the arguments about cannibalizing DSLR sales,
diminishing market for "bridge" cameras, etc. etc. - but does Canon not
realize that there is a significant market out there that *does* want a
full-featured small camera? Surely this market has to be bigger than
the number of people willing to py $1500 for a 50mm lens.

I like my G6, but the shutter lag could use some real improvement. The
G7 has that, and is in black as well (and there was great rejoicing!
yay!!!) - I can live with the SD card and different batteries. At a
pinch, I'll deal with the non-twisty LCD. But a slower lens is getting
a bit iffy, and lack of RAW kills it for me.

I am at a complete loss why so many otherwise excellent camera dont
come with RAW - or, if they do, have a painful lag (Sony R1, Fuji
E9000, Kodak P880, etc).

Take a Panasonic FZ30, add an APS-C sensor, faster RAW capabilities,
and a lens going out to 28mm on the wide end -- tell me this camera
wont sell like hotcakes.

Vandit

Old September 19th 06, 08:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
Robert Klemme

On 19.09.2006 05:16, VK wrote:
Take a Panasonic FZ30, add an APS-C sensor, faster RAW capabilities,
and a lens going out to 28mm on the wide end -- tell me this camera
wont sell like hotcakes.

I officially herewith place an order. That's exactly the cam I have
been wanting for quite some time now. For the time being I'll just
stick with my G5...

Cheers

robert
Old September 19th 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
Daniel Silevitch

On 18 Sep 2006 20:16:37 -0700, VK wrote:
Take a Panasonic FZ30, add an APS-C sensor, faster RAW capabilities,
and a lens going out to 28mm on the wide end -- tell me this camera
wont sell like hotcakes.

An FZ30 with an APS sensor would be an enormous beast. Look at the Sony
R1 for starters, and then make the lens twice as long or thereabouts.
Cost would go up in proportion; the Sony lists for $1k, and this
hypothetical camera would probably be $1500ish.

The superzooms are practical because of their small sensors; with big
sensors, they would need big (and pricey) glass bolted to the front end
to make them work.

-dms
Old September 19th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
VK

Daniel Silevitch wrote:
On 18 Sep 2006 20:16:37 -0700, VK wrote:
Take a Panasonic FZ30, add an APS-C sensor, faster RAW capabilities,
and a lens going out to 28mm on the wide end -- tell me this camera
wont sell like hotcakes.

An FZ30 with an APS sensor would be an enormous beast. Look at the Sony
R1 for starters, and then make the lens twice as long or thereabouts.

The superzooms are practical because of their small sensors; with big
sensors, they would need big (and pricey) glass bolted to the front end
to make them work.

Sorry, I forgot about the superzoom - I was thinking of the other
desirable characteristics of the FZ30: manual zoom ring, decent EVF,
good lens. You are absolutely correct that this would be painfully
large and expensive. Forget superzoom - give me 24-85mm, ala the Nikon
8400. Or even 28-105 or so.

I keep hearing that the market for this is too small. Poppycock, I
think. Surely the market for a camera like this is bigger than the
market for a $1500 50/1.2 lens.

The other argument is - it will eat into DSLR sales. Well, the way I
see it is - if someone is buying this camera instead of a DSLR, they
need just this focal length. So the manufacturer has lost the sales of
one DSLR and one lens. Fine - price this camera to make an equivalent
margin off this sale. Also take into account the benefit of
incremental sales to existing DSLR users, as well as people who will
buy this camera instead of other brands of DSLRs. The "doesnt make
economic sense" theory doesnt hold, either.

Heck, even limit the camera in some other way - say, no onboard flash,
reduced burst mode, ISO up to 400/800 only. That would make a DSLR
clearly more capable in more situations, but would also allow this
camera to be used as a workable, high-quality tool that doesnt
compromise on quality in certain specific applications (the current
crop of digicams compromise across all applications... that's my main
beef).

Even assuming that for some unknown reason it doesnt make sense for
Canon to make this camera. What about Pentax? They arent exactly
setting the world on fire with their DSLRs. Make this, and you'll eat
dino-sized chunks out of Canikon.

Vandit

Old September 19th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
Daniel Silevitch

On 19 Sep 2006 06:26:38 -0700, VK wrote:

Daniel Silevitch wrote:
On 18 Sep 2006 20:16:37 -0700, VK wrote:
Take a Panasonic FZ30, add an APS-C sensor, faster RAW capabilities,
and a lens going out to 28mm on the wide end -- tell me this camera
wont sell like hotcakes.

An FZ30 with an APS sensor would be an enormous beast. Look at the Sony
R1 for starters, and then make the lens twice as long or thereabouts.

The superzooms are practical because of their small sensors; with big
sensors, they would need big (and pricey) glass bolted to the front end
to make them work.

Sorry, I forgot about the superzoom - I was thinking of the other
desirable characteristics of the FZ30: manual zoom ring, decent EVF,
good lens. You are absolutely correct that this would be painfully
large and expensive. Forget superzoom - give me 24-85mm, ala the Nikon
8400. Or even 28-105 or so.

That's basically a Sony R1, but with some of the more annoying niggles
smoothed out. Call it an "R2", if you will.

I have no idea whether or not the R1 has sold well enough to warrant a
successor, but I would imagine that Sony knows one way or the other.

-dms
Old September 19th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
VK

Daniel Silevitch wrote:
That's basically a Sony R1, but with some of the more annoying niggles
smoothed out. Call it an "R2", if you will.

I have no idea whether or not the R1 has sold well enough to warrant a
successor, but I would imagine that Sony knows one way or the other.

True. The Sony comes very close in function - and I almost ordered one
the day I saw the specs. But it isnt there yet, and I am not sure if
Sony will release an R2.

The one other serious issue with the R1 is size - it is pretty much SLR
sized, in which case one might as well buy a DSLR.

Also, it should be possible to make this whole camera more compact as
well. After all, film compact cameras had tiny lenses that covered the
full 35mm sensor. It doesnt have to be tiny or pocketable - say, the
size of the Canon Pro1 or a wee bit bigger. And a lot lighter than the
R1 too. It can be done - the Leica M8 is proof that the body doesnt
have to be that big.

If I were Sony or even Pentax, that's the camera I'd be throwing my
money at, hoping to stick it to Canikon.

Vandit