Will Nikon 8008 work with Lithium AAs?

Old August 7th 04, 08:27 AM
Peter Chant

Default Will Nikon 8008 work with Lithium AAs?

In article ,
Alan Browne writes:

The manufacturer is the best reference for recomended battery
type. If they state the battery may damage the unit, don't use
it. (I have the same issue regarding the vertical grip of my
Maxxum 9).

Yes, that may be good advice but it does not answer the question,
why on earth should such a tiny over-voltage damage the unit. It almost
sounds like they don't know so gave that advice by default.

--

http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Old August 7th 04, 12:42 PM
Scott Schuckert

In article , Peter Chant
wrote:

You are telling me that many Nikon cameras cannot survive a whopping
great extra 200mV per cell, if you have say four cells that is a massive
extra 0.8V, 6.8V rather than 6V.

No, I'm not. Nikon is. And in fact my camera has survived it; yet I
still suggest you follow tha manufacturers recommendations.

The difference in question is about 13%. I HAVE run into problems
running computer parts intended for 1.6V at 1.75...
Old August 7th 04, 12:58 PM
Scott Schuckert

In article , Peter Chant
wrote:

Yes, that may be good advice but it does not answer the question,
why on earth should such a tiny over-voltage damage the unit. It almost
sounds like they don't know so gave that advice by default.

That's indeed most likely the case. The cameras specified safe for
lithium cells were likely designed with the cells in mind. The older
cameras were NOT, and they'd have to go back and retest and recertify -
not a trivial process, and hardly worthwhile for a product already
discontinued.

For manufacturers as well as users, better safe than sorry.

Old August 7th 04, 04:10 PM
Alan Browne

Peter Chant wrote:

In article ,
Alan Browne writes:

The manufacturer is the best reference for recomended battery
type. If they state the battery may damage the unit, don't use
it. (I have the same issue regarding the vertical grip of my
Maxxum 9).

Yes, that may be good advice but it does not answer the question,
why on earth should such a tiny over-voltage damage the unit. It almost
sounds like they don't know so gave that advice by default.

The design is probably optimized for cost/volume. Batteries
(alkaline) present very well regulated power supplies and no
additional protection is required. Along come the lithiums with
a slightly higher new out of the box voltage and it is enough to
potentially damage something ... there is no regulation to
prevent an over voltage.

Is this a good practice? Well I guess we're spoiled by other
electronics/electrical devices (eg: laptop power supplies that
work from 100 to 230VAC without switches). For the camera
manufs, who (esp. these days) are squeezed for margin it is
easier to leave out additional devices to protect against that
small voltage delta.

I'm not trying to defend it, but I do see where (if indeed the
reasons above are true) could be the outcome of the
engineering/marketing decisions.

Cheers,
Alan.