Michael Scarpitti Offer for Web Viewing-CANCELLED

Old January 2nd 04, 12:00 AM
RAD

Default Michael Scarpitti Offer for Web Viewing-CANCELLED

Relevant words said by Michael several times are "did not think about
it." From what I've read in this thread an offer was made by Paul to
Michael to place a set number of photos on a site for all to see. I
would think most people would take some time to select images
themselves, and adhere to the offers requirements. If you, Michael,
could not be bothered to do this, then I agree with Paul that you should
have declined. To place blame on someone else, Mark, when he was given
incorrect information is stupid.

You may have excellent photographic skills, having never seen any of
your photographs I have no basis for comment. However, it appears that
since you do not believe yourself to be an "egotistical photographer who
has to show anything to anybody" I must wonder who has decided you have
said skills, other than yourself. To then say "I'm not pompous. 95% of
the work I see on people's web sites is garbage." is worse than
narrow-minded, and quite pompous or even arrogant. I've seen many
photographs that I didn't care for and others do, but I don't think
they're garbage, just not to my taste. You took a different path instead
of becoming a professional photographer; I can understand that since I
was forced in a different direction than I wanted to pursue. Do you feel
your photographic work done for you and you alone is far superior to
that of professionals that work day in and day out, pleasing customers
every day or not eating, using camera equipment as good or better than
the equipment you yourself use?

Being new to this ng, I do not know you nor any of the others that have
posted on this thread. I do get the impression from what I've read in
this thread that you feel you are above all others, Michael, and
everyone else must bow to what you say, and others must accept blame
when you don't do what is requested of you, not another person.

An offer was made to you, you directed someone else to send files for
that offer, did not give particulars of the offer. Neither did you take
the time to select work *you* feel, not Mark, is representative of your
very *best* to show whatever it was you were trying to show. If you
didn't feel you had the time to follow the requirements stipulated in
the offer, let alone select the best 10 examples of your work, you
should have declined the offer graciously. To place blame on someone
else, someone you never bothered to inform of the requirements, is
stupid at the very least. Have you ever been given the nickname of
TeflonMan by any chance? Or maybe you're a politician. Reminds me of
some officers in 'Nam that ordered certain actions, then when they were
learned of denied any responsibility.

RAD

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

PWW wrote in message ...

The only reason I am responding to this post is because Michael Scarpitti
wants to shift the blame to Mark Wolenski. This is not right, Mark Wolenski
just did exactly what Michael Scarpitti asked him to do. It is not Mark
Wolenski fault whatsoever.

That's correct, but I expected him to ask. I simply did not think
about it.

This is exactly the problem. It is still rude and arrogant to say you "had
nothing to do with it." It was not Mark's responsibility to contact me and
work out any details. It was yours and yours alone. Even your email to him
just said "Forward the stuff to" to my email address. It said nothing about
contacting me for anything else or anything at all. Mark did just what you
asked him to do. He might not have known anything about the guidelines of my
offer.

I did not make the offer to Mark. I made it to you. The Buck Stops With You!

You must understand, I just went through all of this. I really don't
want to do it all over again.

You should have realized that what Mark had and was going to email me, did
not fit any of the guidelines that I had put forward to you. Just one major
obvious fault, 60 some photographs are not 10, as were my guidelines. You
made NO effort whatsoever to go along with your part of the offer. You had
to know there were many more photographs that Mark was going to send me.

I really did not think about it.

That is what I call arrogant and rude. You expected Mark to do all you work
for you, and you expected me to do all your work for you.

You wanted to see my work. I don't particularly care to show my work.
I'm not an egotistical photographer who has to show anything to
anybody. You ASKED to see it.

Without a single
email to me about what was happening. And yet you have the arrogance to say
"you had nothing to do with it." Sir, you had everything to do with it.

Again it was your responsibility to contact me and to contact Mark and put
together the correct files to send me. If you wanted to take advantage of my
offer to you. If you did not want to follow my guidelines you should have
just said "Thanks, But no Thanks" to my offer.

The problem is that you still donąt want to take the responsibility for your
pompous ways.

--
PWW (Paul Wayne Wilson)
Over 1,000 Photographs Online at,

On 12/20/03 2:43 PM, in article
, "Michael Scarpitti"
wrote:

Look, people, I had nothing to do with the size of the files. I simply
asked Mark Wolenski to forward my materials to Paul. I would have
expected Mark to make the appropriate contact with Paul for the
transfer of the files. I had nothing more to do with it.

Old January 2nd 04, 09:20 PM
Michael Scarpitti

RAD wrote in message m...
Relevant words said by Michael several times are "did not think about
it." From what I've read in this thread an offer was made by Paul to
Michael to place a set number of photos on a site for all to see. I
would think most people would take some time to select images
themselves, and adhere to the offers requirements. If you, Michael,
could not be bothered to do this, then I agree with Paul that you should
have declined. To place blame on someone else, Mark, when he was given
incorrect information is stupid.

You may have excellent photographic skills, having never seen any of
your photographs I have no basis for comment. However, it appears that
since you do not believe yourself to be an "egotistical photographer who
has to show anything to anybody" I must wonder who has decided you have
said skills, other than yourself.

Of course this is a valid question. Short answer: 40 years, from high
school to now, including pro work in multi-media presentations. Mostly
photo-journalism of one sort or another.

1. High School: 2 first prizes in state-wide competition in the state
of Ohio (1965 and 1967) by Journalism Association of Ohio Schools. 3rd
prize 1966.

2. Five years as photographer, then chief photographer, then editor of
Makio, the Ohio State University yearbook, including riot year of
1970, when national guardsmen were stationed on campus. I photographed
all sorts of sports and campus activities, much as any newspaper or
magazine photographer would. The editors said 'you alwys come back
with something good' when I was given assignments. I was given the
Introduction (arty type stuff that opens the book every year) to do
every year after the first year.

3. Part-time work with The Columbus Monthly Magazine (1977-1981),
shooting stuff the staff photographer did not want to bother with or
have time for.

4. Full-time work with several multi-media firms (1981-1988),
producing slide shows for various clients. Again, mostly
photojournalistic stuff, but also including all sorts of clients from
nuclear power plants to pension funds. Pay was low.

I tried my hand at industrial/commercial photography with limited
success thereafter, then left the business. I had soured on it.

To then say "I'm not pompous. 95% of
the work I see on people's web sites is garbage." is worse than
narrow-minded, and quite pompous or even arrogant. I've seen many
photographs that I didn't care for and others do, but I don't think
they're garbage, just not to my taste. You took a different path instead
of becoming a professional photographer; I can understand that since I
was forced in a different direction than I wanted to pursue. Do you feel
your photographic work done for you and you alone is far superior to
that of professionals that work day in and day out, pleasing customers
every day or not eating, using camera equipment as good or better than
the equipment you yourself use?

It was not done for me an me alone, as I have outlined above, but
indeed I did do a lot of work simply to please myself. The contraints
imposed by working for clients are considerable, especially when the
budgets are tiny. The work I did for myself is comprarable to or
superior to much professional photography in the applicable genres.

Being new to this ng, I do not know you nor any of the others that have
posted on this thread. I do get the impression from what I've read in
this thread that you feel you are above all others, Michael, and
everyone else must bow to what you say, and others must accept blame
when you don't do what is requested of you, not another person.

You must understand I had just gone through all of this last autumn.
The web site Mark Wolenski put up for me took a lot of time on his
part and mine. It was put together at his request for the same reasons
that Paul expressed: he wanted to see it, and offered to put up the
site for me at his expense. It was to be of limited duration, and the
time had expired in November. I did not feel obligated to do it all
again, especially since I am not particularly interested in showing my
work. I do know that much of that work is excellent, and superior to
what I see many people put up. But I simply don't care whether it is
or isn't, or who thinks it is or isn't. It matters not one whit to me.
I have no ego about photography. I got over that long ago. I couldn't
care less.

An offer was made to you, you directed someone else to send files for
that offer, did not give particulars of the offer. Neither did you take
the time to select work *you* feel, not Mark, is representative of your
very *best* to show whatever it was you were trying to show. If you
didn't feel you had the time to follow the requirements stipulated in
the offer, let alone select the best 10 examples of your work, you
should have declined the offer graciously.

You are correct. I don't care whether anyone sees it or not, except to
establish my credibility as a critic and expert.
Old January 2nd 04, 10:18 PM
Michael Scarpitti

RAD wrote in message m...
Relevant words said by Michael several times are "did not think about
it."

From what I've read in this thread an offer was made by Paul to
[...]

I use the finest optics on the planet, better than most pros.
Leicaflex cameras and lenses. I know how to use this stuff, too. I
also used Kodachrome 25 a great deal. So, the technical quality was
second to none and better than most.

Being new to this ng, I do not know you nor any of the others that have
posted on this thread. I do get the impression from what I've read in
this thread that you feel you are above all others, Michael, and
everyone else must bow to what you say, and others must accept blame
when you don't do what is requested of you, not another person.

I did not 'blame' Mark. He simply complied with my request. I did
expect him to ask questions of Paul, but I do not blame him for not
doing so. Those images were requested by him. As I have said before, I
am not concerned with others' opinions or with showing my work.

Why do you think this makes me pompous or arrogant? If you do not
understand this, read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. Howard Roark's
attitude is the same as mine.