recommendations for a 4X5 studio camera

Old February 12th 04, 10:25 PM
michael

Default recommendations for a 4X5 studio camera

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations. I do a lot of giclee printing for artists.
I need a 4X5 studio camera and lens suitable for shooting paintings up to
about 30"X40". I already have a complete strobe set-up, studio tripod, and
light meters. This camera will probably never be used in the field. It is
important that it produce a high
quality color transparency.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Michael

Old February 12th 04, 11:14 PM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
"michael" wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations. I do a lot of giclee printing for artists.
I need a 4X5 studio camera and lens suitable for shooting paintings up to
about 30"X40". I already have a complete strobe set-up, studio tripod, and
light meters. This camera will probably never be used in the field. It is
important that it produce a high
quality color transparency.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Michael

Ok since you shoot film I'll answer your question
politely:

Toyo makes good studio cameras, also Horseman
& Cambo as well as Sinar.

I had an Omega Toyo E which was a beast should be able to find one
around 300 used but its a 1960's era camera.

If you want to spend 1,000 then get new, my advice buy a
new lens opposed to a new camera if price is no object get new
both.

There are many great lenses pick the focal length you like
and go with Schnieder or Rodenstock......or maybe a Caltar.

Nikor or Fuji are two other lens choices.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

Old February 13th 04, 04:49 AM
michael

Thanks for the advice. I've saved you recommendations.
Michael

"Gregory W Blank" wrote in message
news

Old February 13th 04, 05:02 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"michael" wrote.

I'm looking for recommendations. I do a lot of giclee printing for artists.
I need a 4X5 studio camera and lens suitable for shooting paintings up to
about 30"X40".

A Speed Graphic is the normally recommended camera for this purpose.
See: http://www.graflex.org . The Speed model has the advantage of a rear
focal plane shutter, allowing you to use a 'barrel' lens - one
without a shutter. Graphics go for $180-300 with lens.

Graphics are available from http://www.ebay.com/
and Midwest photo http://www.mpex.com/

Other alternatives are Cambo, Calumet and B&J monorail cameras, going
for about $200-400 w/o lens or lensboard (figure an extra $40 for a
lensboard - guess where the profit is!).

The usual lens on a Graphic, an Optar or Raptar, is not the best
choice for copy work. Nor is the usual 120-135 mm focal length.

Graphics can be found with 152mm Ektars, and these make quite
good copy lenses.

The best lenses for copy applications are 'process lenses' in the
150-210mm (6" - 8") focal length range such as the Red-dot Artar
and G-Claron.

Another good choice is to use a 150mm enlarging lens, such as a
Rodagon, El-Nikkor or Componon.

Process lenses may or may not come in shutters. Enlarging lenses
come without shutters.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Old February 13th 04, 01:12 PM
Chris Ellinger

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:25:24 -0800, "michael" wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations. I do a lot of giclee printing for artists.
I need a 4X5 studio camera and lens suitable for shooting paintings up to
about 30"X40".

For copy work the main concerns will be lens quality and bellows draw.
For 2D subjects an enlarging lens mounted on a shutter would be ideal
since they are optimized for flat field and repro ratios in the range
of your subjects. The lens will also need to cover the 4x5 format. A
good quality 150mm or 180mm enlarging lens -- Nikkor, Schneider, or
Rodenstock -- would do a good job and will be less expensive than a
"macro" large format lens.

To focus close you need enough bellows extension. For a 1:1 repro
ratio with a 150mm lens, you need 300mm of bellows extension. Since
you won't need front movements, you can also make or buy and extension
tube lens board if the camera doesn't have enough bellows.

Chris Ellinger
Ann Arbor, MI

Old February 13th 04, 04:58 PM
michael

Everyone has been very helpful. I do appreciate the time each of you took
to educate me about studio cameras.

Regards, Michael

Old February 13th 04, 07:41 PM
Stefan Patric

On Thursday 12 February 2004 02:25 pm, michael wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations. I do a lot of giclee printing for
artists. I need a 4X5 studio camera and lens suitable for shooting
paintings up to
about 30"X40". I already have a complete strobe set-up, studio
tripod, and
light meters. This camera will probably never be used in the field.
It is important that it produce a high
quality color transparency.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Really, any good, solid rail-type view camera, regardless of age would
do. I've been shooting professionally with a 4x5 Cambo SCII that I
bought new 24 years ago, and it's still just as tight and stable as the
day I bought it. The only things that have ever broken on it were the
front and rear standard bubble levels and the ground glass. I've shot
everything from small jewelry to a 6x9 foot painting for a book cover,
as well as architectural interiors and exteriors, landscapes, and fine
art b&w. It's built like a tank. All metal. No plastic (except the
bubble levels). On the used market, the SCII is a sleeper. Very
reasonably priced. And -- this is important -- still supported by
Calumet Photographic (www.calumetphotographic.com), who bought Cambo
some years ago.

Of course, it's the lens that really takes the picture. I suggest
investing the money and getting an APO in the 210 to 240mm range to
give you a good working distance. I always liked the Fujinon 240 A.
www.badgergraphic.com sells them in the US. As far as I know, there is
no US distributor for Fuji large format optics. For a less expensive
alternative, the Nikon 200 M, which is an Apo-Tessar (4 elements in 3
groups), would do. Very small and compact. Although the 240A isn't
all that much bigger.

Another thing you should consider getting are polarizing gels for your
lights, as well as a polarizer for your lens. In combination, they
remove nasty reflections and increase color saturation in copy work.

--
Stefan Patric

Old February 13th 04, 08:56 PM
michael

Thanks Stefan,

I do appreciate your suggestions. It is a camera I do plan to seriously
consider.

Regards, Michael

Old February 17th 04, 01:21 AM
konabear

I second (3rd) the theme of spending you money on a lens rather than a body.
Reproduction of paintings, assuming they are 8x10 or larger can easily be
done with a speed graphic, or there are also $100-300 monorail cameras that
will work.

Todd