Will EF-S Lenses Become Obsolete In A Couple Of Years?

Old November 16th 04, 12:50 AM
Annika1980

"Matt" wrote in message
Do you think the Canon EF-S lenses will become obsolete in a couple of
years?

If you buy one of these lenses to use on your 20D today it will still work
great on your 20D in a couple of years.

Old November 16th 04, 01:45 AM
Mark B.

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
news

I posted this eariler:

"From: "Charles Schuler"
Subject: Are Canon EF-S lenses a dead end?
Date: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 5:06 PM

I am not happy with the price of the EF-S 10-22. I have been waiting for
lens like this but can't justify the cost. It might be a great lens, but
my
concern is that camera sensor size will grow over the next two years and
leave EF-S lens owners out there dangling in the "history of digital
photography land." What do you think?"

It generated a long thread yet did not much appease me. This seems to be
a time of spend today and weep tomorrow. The technology is evolving so
fast now, that folks like you and me are becoming extremely frustrated. I
like to spend a bit more, if need be, to be satisfied for a lot longer.
Not always possible these days. Back on track ... the full frame (35 mm)
sensors will be affordable in about 2 to 3 years and the EF-S lenses will
be worth next to nothing (my best guess). I am backing away from this
EF-S scenario.

If that's true, then doesn't it stand to reason that the 1.6x crop sensors
will be even more affordable? Surely then they will still have a very
strong market presence. Perhaps 1.6x crop sensors & EF-S SLR bodies will
become the high-end point 'n shoots of today.

Mark

Old November 16th 04, 01:45 AM
Mark B.

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
news

I posted this eariler:

"From: "Charles Schuler"

Old November 16th 04, 01:50 AM
Skip M

"Annika1980" wrote in message
"Matt" wrote in message
Do you think the Canon EF-S lenses will become obsolete in a couple of
years?

If you buy one of these lenses to use on your 20D today it will still work
great on your 20D in a couple of years.

And probably on a couple of successor generations, at least...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old November 16th 04, 01:54 AM
Skip M

"Mark B." wrote in message
"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
news

I posted this eariler:

"From: "Charles Schuler"
Date: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 5:06 PM

[...]

I've said before, I think that the 1.6x crop, or thereabouts, are Canon,
Pentax and Nikon's answer to the 4/3 sensor crowd. Look at how similarly
sized the *istD and 20D are to the Oly E-1, and only the lack of a pentroof
keeps the E-300 from actually being larger than the 20D. And I'll bet you
dollars to donuts that the D70 successor will be close to that size, too.
I have a feeling that the EF-S mount is going to be with us for a while.

Old November 16th 04, 01:54 AM
Skip M

"Mark B." wrote in message
"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
news

I posted this eariler:

"From: "Charles Schuler"

Old November 16th 04, 03:01 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Skip M" wrote:

I've said before, I think that the 1.6x crop, or thereabouts, are Canon,
Pentax and Nikon's answer to the 4/3 sensor crowd. Look at how similarly
sized the *istD and 20D are to the Oly E-1, and only the lack of a

pentroof
keeps the E-300 from actually being larger than the 20D.

Uh, except that the 1.5/1.6x cameras predate the 4/3 idea by several years.

The 4/3 idea is intended to split the difference between 1.5/1.6 and the
consumer cameras.

And I'll bet you
dollars to donuts that the D70 successor will be close to that size, too.
I have a feeling that the EF-S mount is going to be with us for a while.

Yes. Full-frame is probably a long way off. The silicon is just too
expensive.

If (and only if) Canon figures out how to mass produce the 1Ds mk2 sensor at
under US$2,000 a pop, then they'll have a big incentive to come out with a
US$3,000 or so full-frame camera. I figure that about the time the 1Ds mk2
saturates the market they should have optimized the fab line about as much
as possible, and will have a need of a market for its output. I hope.

But for now, Canon is vehement in saying that they are not going to be
producing an affordable and liftable full-frame "tweener" (between 20D and
the pro line).

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old November 16th 04, 03:15 AM
Uranium Committee

"Matt" wrote in message ...
Do you think the Canon EF-S lenses will become obsolete in a couple of
years?

Surly Canon will be looking to go for full size sensors soon, like they have
done with the EOS 1-Ds II? Which would mean that it is possible that the
lenses will not fit, and you will be forced into buying more lenses.

One can only hope....