Resurrecting a jpeg?

Old December 3rd 19, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Resurrecting a jpeg?

In article , Benoît
wrote:

Everything has a 12 month guarantee.

not everything.

True : my second hand iPhone has a 36 month guarantee

second hand products rarely have any guarantee. one exception is with
apple, where any existing warranty transfers.

https://www.backmarket.com
Only Apple ?

that's a reseller, who can warrant products independently.

the person who wrote that claims to get everything except food off of
ebay, where products are normally sold as-is, unless the item is not as
described, which is ebay's guarantee, not the seller.

On ebay you have stores, it's not just an auction web site today. Just
like Amazon started as a bookstore.

most ebay transactions are not storefronts.
Old December 3rd 19, 02:03 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
2EGHEeS293O97.fk18,
Diesel wrote:

Can you get a brand new Iphone for £50? I can. But it's not
made by Apple.

then it's not an iphone.

It could very well be. Direct from china, some assembly required.

highly, highly unlikely.

fake iphones and other apple products is a huge business.

it's an android phone that looks like an iphone, to fool the
stupid, which it clearly has done.

Uhh, no. If he's talking about the umm, thing going on with China,
it's really an Apple phone; totally not authorized by Apple, created
using authentic Apple components that have been rogued from cells
people tossed away that wound up in china. There was a mini
documentary I watched on this. Dude walked around some shops,
acquired every single component he needed for an iphone. I was
impressed with the ease in which he was able to procure the
components and assistance with any of the tricky install aspects.

Didn't buy it from Apple, wasn't authorized by Apple, but, it's a
****in Apple. Made with parts recycled from other Apples. ROFL!

Certainly wasn't an android trying to pretend to be an iphone.

one dude, big ****ing deal. that isn't anything that can be done at
scale and will not work properly for reasons you do not understand.

it's nowhere near as common as the widely available fakes which run
android, exactly as i said they did, along with numerous other fake
products.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/q...one-x-review-a
nd-teardown
³I found an iPhone X for $100,² Motherboard reporter Sarah Emerson
messaged me while she was on a reporting trip in Shenzhen, China
earlier this year. ³You want one?²
The phone, then, is a device that looks just like an iPhone but is
actually an Android that has been reskinned from top-to-bottom
to seem as close to an iPhone as is possible.

https://mashable.com/2014/07/21/iphone-6-knockoff-goophone/
While it sounds like a sweet deal, consumers should know that i6 uses
a different processor than the iPhone and comes equipped with Android
instead of iOS. It also only has a 1.4GHz processor, a downgrade from
the 2GHz offered with Goophone's i5S model, which is ‹ you guessed it
‹ a knockoff of the iPhone 5S.

https://www.cultofmac.com/495158/impressive-fake-iphone-clone/
In short, this is the highest-quality iPhone clone we¹ve ever seen.
It¹s a surprising indicator of just how good Chinese manufacturers
are getting at reproducing Apple products. And it¹s also a cautionary
tale for anybody looking to buy a used iPhone.
The operating system, which is this iPhone clone¹s biggest flaw, is
a version of Android roughly hacked into a copy of iOS. It possesses
all the fluidity of a baby learning to walk. This is surely due to
the bootlegged Android operating system disguised as iOS.
Some apps, like Maps, connect directly to the Android equivalent
rather than the proper iOS app. Others, like iBooks, look like poorly
built Android apps.

https://www.slashgear.com/this-iphone-7-fake-runs-android-23445657/
But this device isn¹t like the rest. This device isn¹t meant to
simply fool you into believing it¹s an iPhone 7 of some sort.
Instead, Dickson made clear almost immediately after tweeting
the first image: this device isn¹t running iOS.

This device is running Android. Devices such as this can be ordered
to spec in many places * outside the United States, of course, where
manufacturers aren¹t beholden to such strict laws on all things
consumer-made. While buying your own custom tablet is far more
common internationally, 3D-printed cases and smartphone components
can, indeed, be purchased piece by piece.

https://mashable.com/2015/07/27/beijing-china-fake-iphones/
A secret factory in China has been counterfeiting Apple products on a
massive scale.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/13/tech/...rfeit-ring-iph
one-ipad/index.html
San Francisco (CNN Business) - The FBI busted a counterfeit ring
centered on iPhones and iPads that reportedly cost Apple over $6.1
million.

there are also fake ipads, which run android, just like the fake
iphones do:
https://www.cnet.com/pictures/fake-ipad-versus-the-real-thing/13/
The fake unit runs Google's Android operating system ‹ version
1.6, if you're really curious ‹ while, of course, the real thing uses
iOS version 3.2.1.

there are even fake apple stores:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-store-China-
convincing-staff-fooled.html
The signs look real, the products look real and the staff all
think they work for Steve Jobs * but this Apple store in China
is a complete fake.

As I said before, you don't always back up what you say,

i *always* back up what i say. see above.

and you like
to pull lame ass insults; yet cry if you feel someone has insulted
you, or attempted to do so.

that would be you.
Old December 3rd 19, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Benoît

nospam wrote:

In article , Benoît
wrote:

Everything has a 12 month guarantee.

not everything.

True : my second hand iPhone has a 36 month guarantee

second hand products rarely have any guarantee. one exception is with
apple, where any existing warranty transfers.

https://www.backmarket.com
Only Apple ?

that's a reseller, who can warrant products independently.

the person who wrote that claims to get everything except food off of
ebay, where products are normally sold as-is, unless the item is not as
described, which is ebay's guarantee, not the seller.

On ebay you have stores, it's not just an auction web site today. Just
like Amazon started as a bookstore.

most ebay transactions are not storefronts.

https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/ebay-stats/ :
Percentage of items sold on eBay that are new items:
81% (Last updated 9/5/17)

That's what I call a storefront leadership.

--
Vie : n.f. maladie mortelle sexuellement transmissible
Benoit chez leraillez.com
Old December 3rd 19, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Benoît
wrote:

the person who wrote that claims to get everything except food off of
ebay, where products are normally sold as-is, unless the item is not as
described, which is ebay's guarantee, not the seller.

On ebay you have stores, it's not just an auction web site today. Just
like Amazon started as a bookstore.

most ebay transactions are not storefronts.

https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/ebay-stats/ :
Percentage of items sold on eBay that are new items:
81% (Last updated 9/5/17)

That's what I call a storefront leadership.

new doesn't mean storefront and storefront doesn't mean new. i've
bought new items from private sellers and used items from storefronts.

either way, it doesn't mean the seller offers a guarantee.

most stuff on ebay is as-is, sometimes with a very short warranty from
the seller (usually days), except for apple, which is whatever the
product originally had because unlike other companies, apple warranties
go with the product, not the buyer.

your link also claims 6.7 million sellers on ebay, and if you think 81%
of those are stores, you're delusional. ebay makes it very easy for
anyone to sell just about anything.

this link claims 70% are new items, so there's no consensus on these
stats:
https://www.boomsbeat.com/articles/2...zing-things-yo
u-didnt-know-about-ebay.htm
Old December 3rd 19, 05:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Benoît

nospam wrote:

In article , Benoît
wrote:

the person who wrote that claims to get everything except food off
of ebay, where products are normally sold as-is, unless the item
is not as described, which is ebay's guarantee, not the seller.

On ebay you have stores, it's not just an auction web site today.
Just like Amazon started as a bookstore.

most ebay transactions are not storefronts.

https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/ebay-stats/ :
Percentage of items sold on eBay that are new items:
81% (Last updated 9/5/17)

That's what I call a storefront leadership.

new doesn't mean storefront and storefront doesn't mean new. i've
bought new items from private sellers and used items from storefronts.

either way, it doesn't mean the seller offers a guarantee.

That's why I buy elsewhere if it's over 10$ and a guarantee may be
needed (i.e. not jeans).

most stuff on ebay is as-is, sometimes with a very short warranty from
the seller (usually days), except for apple, which is whatever the
product originally had because unlike other companies, apple warranties
go with the product, not the buyer.

your link also claims 6.7 million sellers on ebay, and if you think 81%
of those are stores, you're delusional. ebay makes it very easy for
anyone to sell just about anything.

this link claims 70% are new items, so there's no consensus on these
stats:
https://www.boomsbeat.com/articles/2...zing-things-yo
u-didnt-know-about-ebay.htm

Lot's of sellers have one or two items, a few have hundreds. And don't
tell me they are not pros.

If 99% of the sellers are not pros and sell 1 product, and if 1% of the
rest, the pros, sell 100: you've got 99 amateur sells and 100 pro.

But let's get back to photography

Old December 3rd 19, 06:30 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 29/11/2019 23.29, nospam wrote:
In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

Torrents can be used to transmit material which may be illegal, or not.
They can be used to transmit fully legal material, too.

they can, except that is *extremely* rare.

Maybe in your life. In mine, they are commonly used to transmit Linux
install images and in some setups, the updates.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old December 3rd 19, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Benoît
wrote:

the person who wrote that claims to get everything except food off
of ebay, where products are normally sold as-is, unless the item
is not as described, which is ebay's guarantee, not the seller.

On ebay you have stores, it's not just an auction web site today.
Just like Amazon started as a bookstore.

most ebay transactions are not storefronts.

https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/ebay-stats/ :
Percentage of items sold on eBay that are new items:
81% (Last updated 9/5/17)

That's what I call a storefront leadership.

new doesn't mean storefront and storefront doesn't mean new. i've
bought new items from private sellers and used items from storefronts.

either way, it doesn't mean the seller offers a guarantee.

That's why I buy elsewhere if it's over 10$ and a guarantee may be
needed (i.e. not jeans).

that's what i originally said.

and again, even on ebay, apple products carry their original warranty.
unlike nearly all other companies, reselling doesn't void it.

Lot's of sellers have one or two items, a few have hundreds. And don't
tell me they are not pros.

depends on the seller, and pro is not the same as storefront.

apple even has/had an ebay storefront:
https://appleinsider.com/articles/14...secret-ebay-st
ore-launches-with-certified-refurbished-unlocked-gsm-iphones-5s
For the second time in as many years, Apple appears to have
teamed with eBay on a low-profile Factory Outlet store to market
Apple Certified Refurbished products ‹such as iPhones and iPads
‹alongside full one-year Apple warranties at aggressive price points.

If 99% of the sellers are not pros and sell 1 product, and if 1% of the
rest, the pros, sell 100: you've got 99 amateur sells and 100 pro.

But let's get back to photography

ok
Old December 3rd 19, 11:22 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

Default A public apology (was - Resurrecting a jpeg?)

On Tue, 03 Dec 2019 11:42:45 -0000, Diesel wrote:

"Commander Kinsey"
newsp.0b6tjfs3wdg98l@glass Mon, 02 Dec 2019 20:22:17 GMT in
alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

On Mon, 02 Dec 2019 08:25:08 -0000, David
wrote:

Maybe you'd like to respond - expressing YOUR views?

I agree that there should be a statute of limitations. Although
the UK doesn't seem to have that.
I thought you agreed that a murderer is a murderer FOR LIFE!

I might continue to hate that person. But the law should not.
The law should punish someone for a crime within say 2 years. If
they don't catch them by then, they get away with it. If they are
caught, then they've paid the price and the naughtiness is wiped
clean.

I didn't break any ****ing laws here when I wrote them. There was no
crime committed. There was nothing for me to have gotten away with.

There should be. Writing code to destroy people's data is wrong.

He'd have suffered much less stress if he HAD been punished
formally. He STILL doesn't seem to accept that what he did - as
an ADULT, not as a child - was just, plain and simply, *WRONG*!

It is very weird that he keeps saying viruses are ok.

I've written nothing of the sort.

You've never written a virus?
Old December 3rd 19, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Tue, 03 Dec 2019 10:28:22 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 2 December 2019 21:51:19 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Ebay cannot flout the law.

No it can't but the users of ebay can certainly try and do.

And I'm glad they do, it means I can buy cheaper stuff that doesn't meet the pansy EU/UK softy standards.

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/201...-standards-eu/
Just like any other seller that's why riles are needed or you wouldn;t need any rules or laws would you.

WTF are riles?
Old December 3rd 19, 11:25 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Tue, 03 Dec 2019 11:42:46 -0000, Diesel wrote:

"Commander Kinsey"
newsp.0b2y3uqiwdg98l@glass Sat, 30 Nov 2019 18:32:08 GMT in
alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 02:09:57 -0000, Shadow wrote:

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 20:14:15 +0000, David
wrote:

On 29/11/2019 20:04, Mike Easter wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why on earth do I have to have the first part? Think back to
modem days, viewing a large image in a web browser, it would
display it bit by bit as it downloaded. Surely if you only
have the second half, you'd just get the top bit of the image
missing? Ok, so you don't have the header to tell it what
width to use, but surely the user could input that data, or
adjust until it looked right?

The big problem is the result of the compression algo. You
don't really have 'part of the picture'. You have a bunch of
bits that resulted from the compression of part of the picture.
jpeg/s can be compressed various ways.

Could YOU extract a picture from a Torrent, Mike?

Torrents don't contain pictures, dumbass.

You can't be that ignorant. A torrent can be of any type of file
you like. You can download an ISO image, a bunch of exe files, a
load of mp3s, or a set of photographs.

Yea, you're that stupid. Are you sure you were in I.T for eleven
years? A torrent file, an actual torrent file is a metadata file. It
contains a collection of indexes, filename(s), piece sizes and hash
information to confirm your pieces are what they should be and nobody
along the way did any data swaps on you.

The torrent file itself does NOT CONTAIN an iso, an exe, a picture,
or anything else listed as the goodies you get when the torrent has
finished downloading. It just tells your client how to reach the
swarm and get data. It doesn't have any of the data itself. It's just
a ****ing map.

The torrent to any normal person is the collection of files. Please delete your OCD.

It's like asking "can you extract a picture from the glass
I'm
holding?"

No it isn't.

Yea, dumb****, it is.

You can extract a picture from here though, and it's not
copyrighted:

http://tekrider.net/pages/david-brooks-stalker.php
HTH
[]'s

I.T and physics? Why am I getting the impression you're full of ****?

I have something you don't, it's called common sense, which is what makes me 50 times better than you, no matter what qualifications you have.