Northern Lights - Oct 2017 guided tour FYI

Old July 7th 17, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Default Northern Lights - Oct 2017 guided tour FYI

FYI, just happened to hear a quick marketing presentation
on this photo tour last night. Doesn't look like my own
schedule is going to permit, but they still have some openings
and it looks pretty interesting overall.

This tour's 'Early Bird' discount has ended, so its currently
~$6K/pp (double occupancy) including airfare from NJ (EWR).
I've not crosswalked this price, but was told that is a "good
value"; apparently, air to Tromso isn't cheap, and they're
using SAS, not Norwegian, because of transit problems last year.

More details (and several really nice Northern Lights photos) he

https://www.uniquephoto.com/event/434

Stuff not very explicitly mentioned on the webpage is that this
is the 5th year that the organizers are running this itinerary.
Note that one of the organizer/instructors (William Gutsch, PhD)
is the Former Chairman of The American Museum-Hayden Planetarium,
New York and travels on business to the Tromso observatory.
And finally, when asked about their 2018 trip plans, Dr Gutsch
mentioned that two of them (himself included) have some personal
medical ailments that they need to get taken care of, so that
while they "want to" run this again in 2018, they can't commit
to doing so at this time.

-hh
Old July 7th 17, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/7/2017 8:32 AM, -hh wrote:
[...]

I have gone to workshops and been on local photo tours. Tu summarize
some of my observations, and those of my friends,
Most can be interesting learning experiences, and a chance to take
photos that you might not otherwise take. There are several factors,
other than the skill and attitude of the instructor, and assistants.
That factor is the knowledge level and attitude of the participants. One
of my friends reported that on a National Park tour, shooting ended at
5:30, and drinking commenced. Others have reported that most of the
participants had little understanding of the capabilities of their
cameras. On a personal level, I expect to learn a different way of
seeing or processing, from a workshop. I have found that when I go to a
workshop, I have an anticipation of what I expect to learn. I I go on a
guided photo tour I expect a tour leader who has intimate knowledge of
the area and who is able to transfer his knowledge. To make things
clear, what I do not want is someone who knows where the hols for tripod
legs are.
..

--
PeterN