Mamiya TLR lens hood / filter suggestions - avoiding vignetting

Old July 10th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Peter Chant

Default Mamiya TLR lens hood / filter suggestions - avoiding vignetting

What do people use?

I've tried various combinations of:

Mamiya square lens hood (the small lens 48mm o/d one)
Rubber 49mm lens hood

46mm polarizers

46-49mm step up ring
49mm red or orange filters

Cokin-A filters with 49mm adapter ring and 46-49 step up.

55, 80 & 135mm lenses.

My conclusions from the above are that:

* Mamiya lens hood precludes use of any filters.
* 135mm vignetting, using the same filters / hoods vignettes as least as
much as 55mm.
* Vignette is worse at small apertures
* One filter 46 or 49mm or hood is usually free from vignette.
* One filter + hood or two filters usually have some vignetting, but with a
small crop it is probably not problematic.
* Two filters + lens hood will certainly give problems.
* Cokin-A usually works - can vignette if you missalign the holder.
* 55mm lens + polarizer + 46-49mm adapeter + Cokin A vignettes.

I can, sort of improvise when not using a hood by shading the taking lens
with my hand, awkward and hit and miss. I would like to use an orange
filter plus polarizer, hence am looking for a two filter solution. Adding
a hood if possible might be a good plan.

Any thoughts on solutions for using one or two filters plus a hood? I'm
wondering if a 46-49mm step up ring and using 55mm filters would be a
solution? Using a non-square hood does cause a little of the viewing lens
image to be obscured, but that is usually not too much of a problem. If,
and this is a big if, a Cokin-A polarizer sits oin the holder AND does not
vignette, maybe that is a solution. Obviouly a 46mm Cokin adapter ring
would not hurt.

Anyone with any experience to share?

Thanks,

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old July 11th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
dadiOH

Peter Chant wrote:

Anyone with any experience to share?

Only the obvious...if the filter size you now use causes vignetting
you have to use a larger size to avoid it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old July 11th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Peter Chant

dadiOH wrote:

Only the obvious...if the filter size you now use causes vignetting
you have to use a larger size to avoid it.

Sounds like a bit of experimentation is needed with a couple of adapters.
If Mamiya could not make a hood that was compatable with filters then there
was probally a reason.
--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old July 11th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
dadiOH

Peter Chant wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

Only the obvious...if the filter size you now use causes vignetting
you have to use a larger size to avoid it.

Sounds like a bit of experimentation is needed with a couple of
adapters. If Mamiya could not make a hood that was compatable with
filters then there was probally a reason.

You do realize that there are different hoods for each lens focal
length, right?

How do the hoods/filters attach? I ask because I've never owned a
Mamiya...only Rolleis and their hoods attached to an outside bayonet
on the lens, filters attached to an inside bayonet. Never a
problem...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old July 12th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Peter Chant

dadiOH wrote:

You do realize that there are different hoods for each lens focal
length, right?

Generally yes. Double checked, My hood is correct for 80 & 135 but there is
a special hood for 55mm though I was sold my current one when buying a
55mm! I imagine it is bigger as the hood I own does not vignette. As it
does not vignette with any of my three lenses and must be better than
nothing.

How do the hoods/filters attach? I ask because I've never owned a
Mamiya...only Rolleis and their hoods attached to an outside bayonet
on the lens, filters attached to an inside bayonet. Never a
problem...

Hood clamps (with a screw) around the outside of the lens barrel. Filters
screw into a 46mm thread in the conventional manner. Even so I cannot fit
a 46mm polariser (I have two of differing makes) nor can I see how any
other filter would not have the same problem.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old July 12th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
dadiOH

Peter Chant wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

[...]

IIRC, Mamiya made a set of thinner filters. Maybe polascreen too?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old July 12th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Peter Chant

Hood clamps (with a screw) around the outside of the lens barrel.
Filters screw into a 46mm thread in the conventional manner. Even
so I cannot fit a 46mm polariser (I have two of differing makes)
nor can I see how any other filter would not have the same problem.

IIRC, Mamiya made a set of thinner filters. Maybe polascreen too?

From what I can see googling 'thinner' refers to 49mm filters for some of
the lenses, and it appears these are thinner in that they appear, from the
text, in having a thinner rim, so the diameter of the filters is smaller so
you can fit them to taking and viewing lenses at once, but I may be
mistaken.

However, from some sites stacking two filters is a no-no. I suspect thin
filters in 46mm might be difficult to find. Did find some Mamiya filters
on ebay. It was not possible to tell whether the orange one was thin. The
Skylight looked quite thick.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old August 6th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
darkroommike

I have 65, 80, 135 and 180 and use the 80 and 135 a lot. I
have step up (down?) rings to use my 52mm Nikon filters on
all my lenses and use a rubber lens hood on the taking lens.

I have most of the Mamiya hoods but then would need filters
in 3-4 different sizes, my way works OK.

If I shot more landscape and less in the studio a hood that
shields both viewing and taking lenses would be required.

darkroommike

Old August 6th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Peter Chant[_2_]

darkroommike wrote:

I have 65, 80, 135 and 180 and use the 80 and 135 a lot. I
have step up (down?) rings to use my 52mm Nikon filters on
all my lenses and use a rubber lens hood on the taking lens.

Usefull know. Suspect from the www that the 65 is particularly trick wrt
vignetting.

Do you manage to stack filters? I'm thinking of maybe an orange and a
polariser.

If I shot more landscape and less in the studio a hood that
shields both viewing and taking lenses would be required.

Hmm, I've seen a picture of a hood that covers both lenses, its the size of
the camera!

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old August 6th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Paul Friday

In message , darkroommike
writes
I have 65, 80, 135 and 180 and use the 80 and 135 a lot. I have step
up (down?) rings to use my 52mm Nikon filters on all my lenses and use
a rubber lens hood on the taking lens.

I have a spreadsheet (or the formula) for calculating the dimensions for
making your own hood out of black paper, if it is useful.
Put in the diameter of the lens, the angle of view and the depth of the
hood and it gives you the dimensions to draw with a pair of compasses.
Cut out the arc of paper, roll and join the edges and you have a lens
hood.
For the geometrically inclined, it provides the dimensions of a frustrum
or truncated cone.
--
Paul Friday