Can photo (time and f-stop) info be recorded automatically?

Old June 28th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
[email protected]

Default Can photo (time and f-stop) info be recorded automatically?

I wonder if some digital cameras record the time and f-stop for each
photo which is taken automatically. How do people keep the time and f-
stop on their pictures? I don't recall that these data are recorded in
the jpeg file that are created... or does it need a special software
to capture them?
Thanks for info

Old June 28th 07, 08:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Hoshisato

On Jun 28, 5:10 am, wrote:
I wonder if some digital cameras record the time and f-stop for each
photo which is taken automatically. How do people keep the time and f-
stop on their pictures? I don't recall that these data are recorded in
the jpeg file that are created... or does it need a special software
to capture them?
Thanks for info

The camera stores the information in the EXIF header, Exifer is a
great tool to view them: http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/
Alternatively, services like Webshots do display them if the picture
includes an EXIF header: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/257...37002407mbEHcn

Old June 28th 07, 08:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Bucky

On Jun 27, 9:26 pm, Pete wrote:
Most cameras record this information in the EXIF header in the JPEG file. A
convenient way to see this info is to use the free Irfanview software.

I second this. Pretty all photo software (from Irfanview to Picasa to
Flickr) will display EXIF info.

Old June 28th 07, 11:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

wrote in message
oups.com...
I wonder if some digital cameras record the time and f-stop for each
photo which is taken automatically. How do people keep the time and f-
stop on their pictures? I don't recall that these data are recorded in
the jpeg file that are created... or does it need a special software
to capture them?
Thanks for info

Hi

Even Windows can display most of the Exif Data.
Highlight the image Icon, R.Click, Properties then Summary.

Roy G

Old June 28th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
ray

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:10:31 -0700, aniramca wrote:

I wonder if some digital cameras record the time and f-stop for each
photo which is taken automatically. How do people keep the time and f-
stop on their pictures? I don't recall that these data are recorded in
the jpeg file that are created... or does it need a special software
to capture them?
Thanks for info

That is 'metadata' which is automatically recorded by virtually every
digital camera - even my 6 year old Kodak DC210+.

Old June 28th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Roy G wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I wonder if some digital cameras record the time and f-stop for each
photo which is taken automatically. How do people keep the time and f-
stop on their pictures? I don't recall that these data are recorded in
the jpeg file that are created... or does it need a special software
to capture them?

Even Windows can display most of the Exif Data.
Highlight the image Icon, R.Click, Properties then Summary.

Amazing how far Windows has come!

iPhoto on your Mac, for ease of use. Get Info [Cmd-I] will produce some
useful info: Shutter speed and focal length. GraphicConverter, excellent
shareware also does it, as do Lightroom, Photoshop and PS Elements.

--
John McWilliams
Old June 28th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

On Jun 28, 1:19 pm, John McWilliams wrote:
Roy G wrote:
wrote in message
roups.com...
I wonder if some digital cameras record the time and f-stop for each
photo which is taken automatically. How do people keep the time and f-
stop on their pictures? I don't recall that these data are recorded in
the jpeg file that are created... or does it need a special software
to capture them?

Even Windows can display most of the Exif Data.
Highlight the image Icon, R.Click, Properties then Summary.

Amazing how far Windows has come!

iPhoto on your Mac, for ease of use. Get Info [Cmd-I] will produce some
useful info: Shutter speed and focal length. GraphicConverter, excellent
shareware also does it, as do Lightroom, Photoshop and PS Elements.

--
John McWilliams

With the right camera, you can even get longitude, latidude,
elevation, and direction for geocoding to maps.