THAT "CSI MIAMI" COLOR

Old June 17th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default THAT "CSI MIAMI" COLOR

I was watching a re-run of CSI Miami,
and I marvelled at the intense, saturated colors.

Is this done 'with filters",
or "with computer program" ?

How could I get this effect in my pics ?
Any speculation ?

rj
Old June 17th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell

"RJ" wrote in message

I was watching a re-run of CSI Miami,
and I marvelled at the intense, saturated colors.

Is this done 'with filters",
or "with computer program" ?

How could I get this effect in my pics ?
Any speculation ?

Bump the saturation using the hue sat adjustment of your favorite editor.
Be sure to mask out certain colors, such as skin tones, to keep them from
going radioactive.
--
Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com

Old June 17th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dj_nme

Mike Russell wrote:

"RJ" wrote in message

I was watching a re-run of CSI Miami,
and I marvelled at the intense, saturated colors.

Is this done 'with filters",
or "with computer program" ?

How could I get this effect in my pics ?
Any speculation ?

Bump the saturation using the hue sat adjustment of your favorite editor.
Be sure to mask out certain colors, such as skin tones, to keep them from
going radioactive.

I always thought it looked like either an amber (or orange) grad filter
or straight amber (or orange) filter, depending on the scene.
It isn't very subtle when there is an obvious transition halfway up the
image from normal to very amber (or orange) looking.
I would also guess that if a amber (or orange) filter was placed on the
video camera lens and then a WB taken, it would make all the blues look
darker and everything with yellow, red or orange appear much brighter.
My guess may be wrong and it all might be done in post-processing.
Old June 17th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dicko

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:54:04 -0700, "RJ"
wrote:

I was watching a re-run of CSI Miami,
and I marvelled at the intense, saturated colors.

Is this done 'with filters",
or "with computer program" ?

How could I get this effect in my pics ?
Any speculation ?

rj

I stopped watching the show because of those colors. I kept wanting
to gouge my eyes out. It is so totally unnatural.

dickm
Old June 17th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether

wrote:

I was watching a re-run of CSI Miami,
and I marvelled at the intense, saturated colors.

Is this done 'with filters",
or "with computer program" ?

How could I get this effect in my pics ?
Any speculation ?

rj

I stopped watching the show because of those colors. I kept wanting
to gouge my eyes out. It is so totally unnatural.

dickm

Ah, but oh so "purdy" on my TV! (A really sharp 42" LCD with
excellent color, viewed close.) Beautiful visual technique, I think,
and things like "tobacco" filters and boosted saturations that I
usually dislike are used to good effect. No, it's not "realistic"
(no representation really is, so you may as well have fun with
it...;-), but it is very involving visually. My only peeve with the
CSI Miami visuals (BTW, the sound is also excellent) is that
air views of the city are almost always slightly tilted clockwise.
--
David Ruether

http://www.donferrario.com/ruether

Old June 17th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
babaloo

There may be some filtration on camera.
However whether the dramatic scenes are initially captured on film or hi def
tape they are subsequently processed and edited as digital video and the
final product is not film but a video recording.
If commercial movies go entirely hi def for production, as is likely the
case, apart from getting out of your house, there will be no technical
advantage to seeing a movie in a theater as opposed to your own hi
def/surround sound set up.

Old June 17th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck

dicko wrote:

I stopped watching the show because of those colors. I kept wanting
to gouge my eyes out. It is so totally unnatural.

dickm

I couldn't agree more regarding that "Miami" pseudo-color. A Sunset or a
dawn is one thing, but when all scenes are given the treatment it is
unwatchable.
The other factor making CSI Miami unwatchable is the Caruso presence.
What drama school teaches THAT method?

'duck
Old June 17th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

babaloo wrote:
There may be some filtration on camera.
However whether the dramatic scenes are initially captured on film or hi def
tape they are subsequently processed and edited as digital video and the
final product is not film but a video recording.
If commercial movies go entirely hi def for production, as is likely the
case, apart from getting out of your house, there will be no technical
advantage to seeing a movie in a theater as opposed to your own hi
def/surround sound set up.

Except it's hard to make that "butter flavor" crap they put on popcorn
or hand over ten bucks to a gum chewing teenager.

--

john mcwilliams
Old June 18th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Aaron

And lo, babaloo emerged from the ether
and spake thus:
There may be some filtration on camera.
However whether the dramatic scenes are initially captured on film or hi def
tape they are subsequently processed and edited as digital video and the
final product is not film but a video recording.
If commercial movies go entirely hi def for production, as is likely the
case, apart from getting out of your house, there will be no technical
advantage to seeing a movie in a theater as opposed to your own hi
def/surround sound set up.

My friend has an NEC 50" plasma, probably one of the best plasmas on
the market right now and a DTS-capable sound system. Owing in part to
the theaters in our area being pretty terrible, he really DOES prefer
to watch movies on his own setup.

At least when you watch it on your own hi-def setup, you don't have to
worry about sticky floors, crying children, smelly people, and the
high price of admission.

--
Aaron
http://www.fisheyegallery.com