Hunter experiances?

Old November 8th 03, 02:17 AM
Brian Larmay

Default Hunter experiances?

Hey all,

I just uploaded a picture of a bowhunter I was unaware of in a maple I was
photographing this fall and thought some of you might get a kick out of
this.

The guy was very nice after he shocked the shyte out of me with his
presence.

The image is the last in the gallery with a link to a closeup from another
pic of the same subject.

http://www.astrobri.com/fall_2003_by_brian_larmay.htm

Anyone else care to share experiances of hunters?

PS, the velvia really sucked that day...just isnt my forte on sunny days

Brian

--

My Photography
Homepage: www.astrobri.com

Geographic Longitude= 88W
Geographic Latitude= 43N
Corrected Magnetic Latitude= 53

Old November 8th 03, 02:37 AM
PSsquare

Well, I used to bowhunt until a shoulder injury intervened. Several times I
had someone walk up and stand (or sit) directly beneath my tree stand.
They had no idea that I was there in full camo and virtually motionless. I
usually said in a very low voice, "See anything?" They usually jumped out
of their stance and started to look around the bushes etc for me. Really
spooked them. Finally I would say, "Up here." and they would be very
startled to finally see me. Strangely, these people knew I was in the woods
as it was private land. Still, they could not see me. It seems deer and
people seldom look up for hunters.

Hope you were wearing Blaze Orange. New York State reports that in the last
year virtually every gun hunting accident involved someone NOT wearing
Blaze. Given that a bow is a short range weapon, you are even safer with
Blaze. Even a blaze cap is a big plus. There is Blaze camo that works
pretty well also.

Be safe.

PSsquare

y.com...

Old November 9th 03, 02:32 AM
Brian Larmay

I want wearing blaze orange , something I will do nxt time im out in the
state forests.
Ill actually be moving to Niagara falls next week and will be scouting the
aea for state forests in upper NY.

Any ideas for that neck of the woods assuming your from there

Thanks for the response,
Brian

Old November 9th 03, 02:51 AM
PSsquare

Brian,

Ideas for photos near Buffalo:

Iroquois NWR near Batavia (I think)- ducks & geese
Letchworth State Park (get away from the roads) reportedly Otters
Allegheny State Park
Point Pelle in Ontario for migrating birds in spring
maybe around French Creek in Catteraugus County
Niagara Gorge-access on both sides

There is also a small park/refuge just to the west of Rochester that is
popular to view raptors. I cannot recall the name.

Also check out around Salamanca and in general anywhere along the Finger
Lakes Trail. It starts in Allegheny SP and goes east past Ithaca for
several hundred miles. Much of it is on state land.

Oh, you mentioned Velvia. You should look at Provia 100 and 400 speeds.
Better color and more speed for wildlife photos.

Old November 9th 03, 03:24 AM
Brian Larmay

Thanks square for the referances... one more question... Im heavily into
astrophotography and need a site about an hour away that has little light
pollution...my guess is to follow either lake ontario, or head towards the
finger lakes..would that be about right?

Cherry springs is a bit far to travel on a whim.

Thanks again,
Brian

Old November 9th 03, 04:30 AM

PSsquare wrote:
Brian,

Ideas for photos near Buffalo:
Point Pelle in Ontario for migrating birds in spring

or Monarch butterfly's in September. We have a shot of a tree with
several hundred Monarch's on it.

Old November 10th 03, 02:21 PM
PSsquare

Brian,

Don't know the area around Buffalo well enough to have specifics relative to
astro veiwing, but you might get some ideas from looking over the following
links for remote parks, game lands etc:

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/

Or you might call the stop by a hunting license agent and get a copy of the
hunter's guidebook and the map of hunting areas. It lists local DEC
conservation officers. They surely know where you might go, and can direct
you based on the map you picked up.

I would also guess that there is a planetarium at SUNY Buffalo, and they
would FOR CERTAIN be able to tell you where to go.

Overall, the big question is not just low light pollution, but also open
access to the sky since most game lands and state parks have a lot of
trees. So, a final idea is to look for a farm, or someone with a relative
into farming. There are some big flatland farms in the belt that goes from
the thruway south for 40 to 50 miles.

Good luck.

Old November 10th 03, 04:55 PM
Tony Parkinson

"Brian Larmay" wrote ...

Anyone else care to share experiances of hunters?

Yeah, he was crap on the UK version of the Gladiators TV show

--
Living in a fisheye lens, caught in the camera eye, I have no heart to lie.
I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend.

Old November 11th 03, 02:27 AM
Brian Larmay

All the world's indeed a stage
And we are merely players
Performers and portrayers
Each another's audience
Outside the gilded cage

Brian

--

My Photography
Homepage: www.astrobri.com

Geographic Longitude= 88W
Geographic Latitude= 43N
Corrected Magnetic Latitude= 53

"Brian Larmay" wrote ...

Old November 27th 03, 05:13 PM
Joe

On 11/07/2003 09:17 PM, Brian Larmay said:
Hey all,

I just uploaded a picture of a bowhunter I was unaware of in a maple I was
photographing this fall and thought some of you might get a kick out of
this.

The guy was very nice after he shocked the shyte out of me with his
presence.

The image is the last in the gallery with a link to a closeup from another
pic of the same subject.

http://www.astrobri.com/fall_2003_by_brian_larmay.htm

Anyone else care to share experiances of hunters?

PS, the velvia really sucked that day...just isnt my forte on sunny days

Brian

Beautiful photos, and great web site.

I'm curious about the fireflies photo:
http://www.astrobri.com/fireflies.htm

I've tried something similar a few times, and the results are
either overexposed or just pure black, and barely detectable
firefly lights. In your photo, I would think that the moon
light (I assume it's the moon?) would have drowned out the
firefly lights. Any tips to share?

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/