A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Bower 500mm f/8 Mirror lens



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 14th 15, 09:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,611
Default Bower 500mm f/8 Mirror lens

Does anyone have knowledge or experience of these? How good are they?
(For a particular value of 'good')
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
  #2  
Old July 14th 15, 03:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,640
Default Bower 500mm f/8 Mirror lens

On 2015-07-14 04:11, Eric Stevens wrote:
Does anyone have knowledge or experience of these? How good are they?
(For a particular value of 'good')


With some exceptions most people who buy reflex's relegate them to a
shelf at some point after the initial blush of pleasure wears off. They
are usually (always?) manual focus too ... which can be a challenge for
the wearier eyes out there.

That said, with today's low noise sensors, f/8 is not the barrier to
some photography that it used to be. (Shooting in the woods, for example).



  #3  
Old July 15th 15, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,254
Default Bower 500mm f/8 Mirror lens

On 7/14/2015 10:52 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2015-07-14 04:11, Eric Stevens wrote:
Does anyone have knowledge or experience of these? How good are they?
(For a particular value of 'good')


With some exceptions most people who buy reflex's relegate them to a
shelf at some point after the initial blush of pleasure wears off. They
are usually (always?) manual focus too ... which can be a challenge for
the wearier eyes out there.


Some cameras, at least my Nikons, have some type of in focus indicators
available in the viewfinder.




That said, with today's low noise sensors, f/8 is not the barrier to
some photography that it used to be. (Shooting in the woods, for example).




--
PeterN
  #4  
Old July 15th 15, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,254
Default Bower 500mm f/8 Mirror lens

On 7/14/2015 4:11 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
Does anyone have knowledge or experience of these? How good are they?
(For a particular value of 'good')


I purchased by Nikon 500 mirror used. To cooberate what Alan Browne
said, The last time I used it was several years ago. One of my friends
got a Bower, he used it a couple of times, and sold it. The reason I
would buy one used, is price. However, I would only buy with a
reasonable return period.


--
PeterN
  #5  
Old July 15th 15, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,611
Default Bower 500mm f/8 Mirror lens

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 10:52:49 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2015-07-14 04:11, Eric Stevens wrote:
Does anyone have knowledge or experience of these? How good are they?
(For a particular value of 'good')


With some exceptions most people who buy reflex's relegate them to a
shelf at some point after the initial blush of pleasure wears off. They
are usually (always?) manual focus too ... which can be a challenge for
the wearier eyes out there.

That said, with today's low noise sensors, f/8 is not the barrier to
some photography that it used to be. (Shooting in the woods, for example).


I know the general reputation and problems of mirror lenses. I also
know some brands are more highly (less lowly?) regarded than others. I
was wondering where the Bower lens stood in the pecking order.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
  #6  
Old July 15th 15, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24,165
Default Bower 500mm f/8 Mirror lens

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I know the general reputation and problems of mirror lenses. I also
know some brands are more highly (less lowly?) regarded than others. I
was wondering where the Bower lens stood in the pecking order.


the cheap ones are mostly the same and not particularly good. bower
more than likely does little more than put its logo on it.

the expensive ones are reasonably good, with the usual limitations of
mirror lenses.
  #7  
Old July 15th 15, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,611
Default Bower 500mm f/8 Mirror lens

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 19:32:37 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I know the general reputation and problems of mirror lenses. I also
know some brands are more highly (less lowly?) regarded than others. I
was wondering where the Bower lens stood in the pecking order.


the cheap ones are mostly the same and not particularly good. bower
more than likely does little more than put its logo on it.

the expensive ones are reasonably good, with the usual limitations of
mirror lenses.


For much the reasons you have given, I've already decided to ignore
the Bower.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
  #8  
Old July 15th 15, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,640
Default Bower 500mm f/8 Mirror lens

On 2015-07-14 19:18, PeterN wrote:
On 7/14/2015 10:52 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2015-07-14 04:11, Eric Stevens wrote:
Does anyone have knowledge or experience of these? How good are they?
(For a particular value of 'good')


With some exceptions most people who buy reflex's relegate them to a
shelf at some point after the initial blush of pleasure wears off. They
are usually (always?) manual focus too ... which can be a challenge for
the wearier eyes out there.


Some cameras, at least my Nikons, have some type of in focus indicators
available in the viewfinder.


That doesn't always make focusing easy - esp. off centre.

  #9  
Old July 15th 15, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,611
Default Bower 500mm f/8 Mirror lens

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 18:52:55 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2015-07-14 19:18, PeterN wrote:
On 7/14/2015 10:52 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2015-07-14 04:11, Eric Stevens wrote:
Does anyone have knowledge or experience of these? How good are they?
(For a particular value of 'good')

With some exceptions most people who buy reflex's relegate them to a
shelf at some point after the initial blush of pleasure wears off. They
are usually (always?) manual focus too ... which can be a challenge for
the wearier eyes out there.


Some cameras, at least my Nikons, have some type of in focus indicators
available in the viewfinder.


That doesn't always make focusing easy - esp. off centre.


Modern higher level Nikons have the ability to select an off-centre
focus point.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
  #10  
Old July 16th 15, 11:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,254
Default Bower 500mm f/8 Mirror lens

On 7/15/2015 6:52 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2015-07-14 19:18, PeterN wrote:
On 7/14/2015 10:52 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2015-07-14 04:11, Eric Stevens wrote:
Does anyone have knowledge or experience of these? How good are they?
(For a particular value of 'good')

With some exceptions most people who buy reflex's relegate them to a
shelf at some point after the initial blush of pleasure wears off. They
are usually (always?) manual focus too ... which can be a challenge for
the wearier eyes out there.


Some cameras, at least my Nikons, have some type of in focus indicators
available in the viewfinder.


That doesn't always make focusing easy - esp. off centre.


Nope, not always. Manual Off center focusing can be a challenge.
However, if off center focusing with MF is needed, the next best thing
is to use a tripod and move the camera. Tt is rare that off center MF is
needed.

--
PeterN
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opteka 500mm Mirror Lens [email protected] Digital SLR Cameras 0 May 21st 09 03:43 AM
FA - Nikkor 500mm f/8 Mirror Lens Paul Lester General Equipment For Sale 0 December 10th 06 10:50 PM
Vivitar 500mm f/8 Mirror Lens William Graham 35mm Photo Equipment 7 March 21st 05 01:00 PM
Info on Vivitar 500mm f/8 Mirror Lens Phil, Squid-in-Training 35mm Photo Equipment 0 March 20th 05 03:07 AM
Vivitar 500mm f/8 Mirror Lens Matt Clara 35mm Photo Equipment 0 March 19th 05 10:57 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.