Anyone else see this article from PC World?

Old June 27th 11, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

Default Anyone else see this article from PC World?

Interesting--but at what cost of resources?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23086...l_wbx_h_crawl1

or Tinyurl:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3o6t33t

Allen
Old June 27th 11, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo[_3_]

On 06/27/2011 09:37 AM, Allen wrote:
Interesting--but at what cost of resources?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23086...l_wbx_h_crawl1

or Tinyurl:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3o6t33t

Allen

I saw that
and posted the info on alt.photography

there were a few skeptics there...but personally I find it rather amazing.

If it comes out at an affordable price and the reviews are good...
I'd consider getting one
Old June 29th 11, 01:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , philo
writes
On 06/27/2011 09:37 AM, Allen wrote:
Interesting--but at what cost of resources?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23086...o_promises_to_
revolutionize_photography.html#tk.nl_wbx_h_crawl 1

or Tinyurl:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3o6t33t

Allen

I saw that
and posted the info on alt.photography

there were a few skeptics there...but personally I find it rather amazing.

If it comes out at an affordable price and the reviews are good...
I'd consider getting one

I share the suspicion that raw images are going to be memory hogs. The
system would, I think, eliminate autofocus lag, at the cost of greater
time spent processing the image after exposure.

It seems to me that it moves the cost of the system from the glass to
the sensor (and the processor).

However, while the PC World article talks about refocusing the image,
one of the applications described in the associated Ph.D. thesis is an
extended depth of field. While I see why this might not be desired in,
for example, portrait shots, it would come in handy for closeups of
flowers and insects, especially if wanted for technical illustration,
rather than artistic purposes.

Something else that I wonder whether this can supply - one can sort of
get away with photographing through fences when the fences are greatly
out of focus - but could this throw away the light from the fence so you
have a photograph which is if the fence wasn't there?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old June 29th 11, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
philo writes
Allen wrote:
Interesting--but at what cost of resources?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23086...l_wbx_h_crawl1
or Tinyurl:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3o6t33t

I saw that and posted the info on alt.photography

Ah, I didn't click to the article though, very interesting.

[...]

Extended DOF may or may not be unique, you can always stop down and
generally pay a price with diffraction, a longer exposure and/or more
noise but the selective focus is very interesting. Perhaps the design
solves the light loss associated with stopping down too but I doubt that.
Old June 29th 11, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

Allen wrote:
[...]

That is in a real sense exactly what it solves. The coded mask trick
allows you make a pseudo "pinhole" that lets a lot more light through.
The price is a lot of computation to get from the raw data to a usable
image. And introduction to the basics is online at:

http://www.paulcarlisle.net/old/codedaperture.html

I don't know what family of MURA Lytron are using.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old June 29th 11, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Allen wrote:
[...]

Hmm, I took a quick stab at their technical explanation, the CEO's
thesis: http://www.lytro.com/renng-thesis.pdf

It seems each microlens projects onto a small portion of the sensor so
you get a much lower resolution image, although I dunno, maybe some of
that comes back in the interpolation, I didn't read it that carefully.

In order to celebrate the world Olympic Games to coming soon in 2008 the Beijing of china , Cn_Circlre Trade Co.,Ltd carries on the product big discount sale policy to the world various races people pronews Digital Photography 0 April 23rd 08 04:24 PM
WORLD TOURSIM WORLD TRAVEL WORLD PACKAGE TAJMAHAL TEMPLE Digital Photography 0 April 7th 08 04:28 PM
1 article Al Dykes Digital Photography 1 April 11th 07 04:40 AM
Anti shake article at Minolta World Alan Browne Digital Photography 35 July 14th 04 04:41 AM
Anti shake article at Minolta World Alan Browne 35mm Photo Equipment 30 July 14th 04 04:41 AM