IR sources

Old April 29th 11, 06:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Groh[_4_]

Default IR sources

....so I sent my trusty (but now third down the line) D70s to the guys in
Washington to get set up for Infrared. I actually plan on using it for
a "second" while I shoot what amounts to be sports...kids on a football
field or in a gym. Just looking for some solid info...should be fun!

cg
Old April 29th 11, 06:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Charlie
Groh wrote:

...so I sent my trusty (but now third down the line) D70s to the guys in
Washington to get set up for Infrared. I actually plan on using it for
a "second" while I shoot what amounts to be sports...kids on a football
field or in a gym. Just looking for some solid info...should be fun!

why would you need infrared for sports, especially outdoors?
Old April 29th 11, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Groh[_4_]

On 4/28/2011 10:35 PM, nospam wrote:
In . com, Charlie
wrote:

...so I sent my trusty (but now third down the line) D70s to the guys in
Washington to get set up for Infrared. I actually plan on using it for
a "second" while I shoot what amounts to be sports...kids on a football
field or in a gym. Just looking for some solid info...should be fun!

why would you need infrared for sports, especially outdoors?

....just a thought...I like the 'negative' look, if I can get something
going that doesn't require gobs of 'puter time in post, people might
like the option...but, really, I'm just looking for sources. Got any?

cg
Old April 29th 11, 07:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

wrote:

...so I sent my trusty (but now third down the line) D70s to the guys in
Washington to get set up for Infrared. I actually plan on using it for
a "second" while I shoot what amounts to be sports...kids on a football
field or in a gym. Just looking for some solid info...should be fun!

why would you need infrared for sports, especially outdoors?

...just a thought...I like the 'negative' look, if I can get something
going that doesn't require gobs of 'puter time in post, people might like
the option...but, really, I'm just looking for sources. Got any?

IR is one of the things landscape types used to do. Blues skies get very
dark, foliage gets bright; rather a neat effect for folks with pretentions
at art. I have no idea of what use it'd be other than that. I had my old 5D
converted, took it out a few times*, and haven't done much with it since
then. The light meter will often be quite wrong, so you need to chimp the
histogram and reshoot.

*: http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/128239765/large
(Click "previous" for a couple of others.)

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old April 29th 11, 10:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Charlie
Groh wrote:

...so I sent my trusty (but now third down the line) D70s to the guys in
Washington to get set up for Infrared. I actually plan on using it for
a "second" while I shoot what amounts to be sports...kids on a football
field or in a gym. Just looking for some solid info...should be fun!

why would you need infrared for sports, especially outdoors?

...just a thought...I like the 'negative' look,

infrared won't give you a 'negative look.'

if I can get something
going that doesn't require gobs of 'puter time in post, people might
like the option...

use a preset and/or batch your adjustments. if all you want is a
negative look, just invert it and you'll *have* a negative look.

but, really, I'm just looking for sources. Got any?

sources of what? you already said you sent the camera to be modified.

get an infrared filter and go experiment. good luck composing a shot
when visible light is blocked. infrared on an slr that lacks live view
is a pain.

if you don't use an infrared filter on a modified camera (or ones with
weak ir cut), you'll get infrared contamination which will affect the
colours, depending on how much infrared is being reflected.
Old April 29th 11, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

wrote:

[...]

It can be effective if not overused.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/129743999

--
Peter
Old April 29th 11, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ruether[_2_]

wrote:

...so I sent my trusty (but now third down the line) D70s to the guys
in
Washington to get set up for Infrared. I actually plan on using it
for
a "second" while I shoot what amounts to be sports...kids on a
football
field or in a gym. Just looking for some solid info...should be fun!

I'm not sure that IR would lend itself well to this kind of subject
matter... Also, if you are inquiring about a suitable video light for
this,it would probablt need to be of such power that you would
singe your "subjects"...;-)

[...]

This is a beautiful image. I never did much of value with IR with stills,
but a friend took to it and has been doing wonderful work. I have
used IR for video, though --
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOe3c5x3VRU&fmt=18
--DR

Old April 29th 11, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"John A." wrote:

IIRC there are IR filters that let a bit of visible red through. Might
be a workable compromise.

Most recent digital cameras have very strong IR blocking filters to prevent
color contamination, so very little light gets through and exposure times
are painfully long with most unmodified cameras and an IR pass filter. I
tried that with the 5D, and while the red channel was OK, the green and blue
channels were horrifically noisy. I was worried that I'd see the same thing
even with IR conversion, but with the deepest IR option that MaxMax offers,
the G and B channels, while noticeably lower in exposure than the R channel,
still have enough information that Lightroom can produce decent B&W images.
(The conversion doesn't remove the Bayer filters, and the G and B filters
pass very little near IR, and one or two stops less IR than the R filter
does for deep IR. So I'd recommend forgetting about false color IR and go
for the deepest IR you can get. My opinion, YMMV and all that.)

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old April 29th 11, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-04-29 08:06:51 -0700, "David J. Littleboy" said:

"John A." wrote:

[...]

Lifepixel offers a conversion service which gives the digital
photographer a few more options ranging from their standard IR filter
to "Deep BW IR" filter.
Their other option is replacement of the low pass filter with their
"Full Spectrum Clear" filter, which then requires the addition of
individual filters to your lens of choice.
http://www.lifepixel.com/infrared-filter-choices

Savageduck

Old April 29th 11, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 4/29/2011 10:01 AM, John A. wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 02:55:20 -0700,
wrote:

In . com, Charlie
wrote:

[...]

With digital you don't need an infrared filter. All you do is remove the
infrared filter from the sensor. It's really a simple procedure. I
converted my CoolPix but didn't feel comfortable doing it myself. So I
went to a local repair guy, who charged me $70.

--
Peter