will canon usa honor a canon latin america warranty for a 5dmark II ?

Old March 31st 09, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Default will canon usa honor a canon latin america warranty for a 5dmark II ?

picture taker wrote:
i was on the phone for a while with a canon service rep seeking help
with my 5d mark II , the usb port isn't working .
we tryed every posible solution but to on avail he said my chances are
better than winning the lottery that my usb port was bad but it is .

so made arangments to send it in for repair to repair center in NJ .
i told him i bought it @ boolchands in st marteen he asked if that was
part of the united states i thought it was said yes.
as im looking over the warranty card it is a canon latin american
international warranty card does anyone know if they will honor it ?

Canon is usually very good about honoring the warranty on their products
no matter where it was purchased. They aren't like Nikon U.S.A..
Old April 7th 09, 11:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Hans Kruse

"SMS" wrote in message

Canon is usually very good about honoring the warranty on their products
no matter where it was purchased. They aren't like Nikon U.S.A..

I don't agree! I just had a failure on my Canon 70-200 f/4L IS in the second
year. I bought the lens in Germany where there is a two year warranty. The
same is true in Denmark where I live. However the international warranty is
only one year. I asked through the Canon service center in Denmark after
they checked the lens if they would repair it under warranty. The answer was
a clear NO. I then sent the lens to Germany and got it repaired under
warranty. Even though this is inside the EU which is designed to avoid trade
barriers etc. this policy is enforced by Canon. I find it rather strange,
but of course udnerstandable that Canon Denmark do not want to cover the
cost of a repair for a nother business unit which is Canon Germany. Canon
Denmark also don't like that we buy Canon gear in Germany where it is
usually cheaper than in Denmark. Notice that lenses have international
warranty where digital camera bodies only have regional warranty. I don't
know it North America and South America is the same region (although
belonging to the Americas), but I would doubt it.

--
Med venlig hilsen/Kind regards,
Hans Kruse www.hanskrusephotography.com, www.hanskruse.com