Mamiya TLR lens hood / filter suggestions - avoiding vignetting

Old August 7th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Peter Chant[_2_]

Default Mamiya TLR lens hood / filter suggestions - avoiding vignetting

Paul Friday wrote:

I have a spreadsheet (or the formula) for calculating the dimensions for
making your own hood out of black paper, if it is useful.
Put in the diameter of the lens, the angle of view and the depth of the
hood and it gives you the dimensions to draw with a pair of compasses.
Cut out the arc of paper, roll and join the edges and you have a lens
hood.
For the geometrically inclined, it provides the dimensions of a frustrum
or truncated cone.

Is it as simple as a truncated cone with a minor diameter (if that is the
term) the same diameter than the front lens element? Intuatively I would
thought it would be more complicated that that. No reason, it is just that
some of these simple things can get complicated, but, on reflection it
makes sense.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old August 17th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
darkroommike

Here's a website with a series of do-it-yourself leshoods as
pdf files. Just cut and glue. http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/

darkroommike

Paul Friday wrote:
In message , darkroommike
writes
I have 65, 80, 135 and 180 and use the 80 and 135 a lot. I have step
up (down?) rings to use my 52mm Nikon filters on all my lenses and use
a rubber lens hood on the taking lens.

Old August 17th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
darkroommike

I've not felt the need to stack but then I shoot more MF in
the studio than outdoors. Since I am using 52mm filters it
probably would not be an issue and the original Nikon 52mm
polarizer has an oversize hood in two parts (HN-12).

darkroommike

Peter Chant wrote:
darkroommike wrote:

I have 65, 80, 135 and 180 and use the 80 and 135 a lot. I
have step up (down?) rings to use my 52mm Nikon filters on
all my lenses and use a rubber lens hood on the taking lens.

Usefull know. Suspect from the www that the 65 is particularly trick wrt
vignetting.

Do you manage to stack filters? I'm thinking of maybe an orange and a
polariser.

If I shot more landscape and less in the studio a hood that
shields both viewing and taking lenses would be required.

Hmm, I've seen a picture of a hood that covers both lenses, its the size of
the camera!

Pete