Canon 20D serial Number

Old December 16th 05, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Canon 20D serial Number

I have a 20D with the serial number rubbed off the s/n plate
underneath. This is a known problem & Canon state on their website
that it does not effect the warrantee as the s/n is embedded in the
camera...

However I wish to know the s/n myself. On the box that the 20D came in
there is a label with several numbers. Can anyone out there ID the
correct s/n?

a) 2 letters and 6 digits
or
b) 4 digits, a letter, 3 digits and 2 letters.

Old December 16th 05, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Donald Gray wrote:

I have a 20D with the serial number rubbed off the s/n plate [...]

The serial number is encoded in image files. Open one with DPP, then
"File-Info..." will have it under "Camera Body No."

Old December 16th 05, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Donald Gray wrote:

However, what is DPP?

"Digital Photo Professional" -- it's Canon's processing package, and
you may have a copy with your camera (though maybe it's a "1" series
thing - I goy my initial copy with my 1DMkII). If you don't have DPP
then use whatever came with your camera: my 10D came with something
called EOSFileViewer and it also showed body serial numbers from the
images.

Old December 16th 05, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Donald Gray wrote:

Opps - I can answer that for myself!
Digital Photo Professional - the s/w that comes with the camera!

Ah, so the 20D does have it. You might consider updating it to the
latest:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con... odelid=10464

Click on "Drivers/Software" and yank the "updater". I don't have the
high-end PhotoSlop -- pricey and bloated with stuff I will never use --
it's a mainly a graphic arts program, not an image processor -- so DPP
is very useful, and the latest versions are _substantially_ better than
the ones that come with the cameras...

Old December 17th 05, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

I guesst that's for the 20D only?
I tried it out with my Canon 350D, and it's blank.
Marcel

Old December 17th 05, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Celcius wrote:
I guesst that's for the 20D only?
I tried it out with my Canon 350D, and it's blank.
Marcel

Irfanview and PIE both show a S/N for my 350d / RebXT