Olympus C700 - Progress at last!

Old January 9th 05, 07:24 PM
PJx

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:56:17 GMT, "Fred"
wrote:

Another interesting development....

I took a few photos with the help of the AC adapter. Then unplugged the
adapter. Turned on the camera and the zoom starting cycling out 1/2-inch,
then back in 1/2-inch, back and forth.... The power switch had no effect on
it. Had to open the battery door and break the connection to stop the
cycling.

Am I on candid camera??!

Fred

Sounds like your voltage regulator circuit has a bad component such
as a leaky capacitor or defective zener diode.

PJ

Old January 10th 05, 01:01 AM
Fred

"PJx" wrote in message

Sounds like your voltage regulator circuit has a bad component such
as a leaky capacitor or defective zener diode.

Actually, in this case, it turned out to be something simpler - the
adapter/battery switch in the ac adapter plug on the camera had an oxided
coated on it. A little exercise and it wore the oxide off.

Old March 4th 05, 03:22 PM
Wolf359

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....e=STRK:MESE:IT

"Fred" wrote in message
Looks like we're making progress -- thanks to that real nice feller who
posted and suggested I try using the camera with an AC adapter.

[Note to the "try a new battery" crowd: No, it wasn't the batteries.]

I picked up an adapter at Frys Electronics for $19.99. I saw some on ebay
and elsewhere online cheaper, but by the time you add the $5-10 "shipping
and handling" and wonder what kind of adapter you're "really" going to get
and when.... I thought this one was the best choice. And it's a universal
job - all kinds of voltages, and current up to 2500 mA, so that's fine for
the C700 and my other junk too.

First I tried the camera as is - that is on good (new) alkaline batteries
only - to be sure that it was giving the same problem. Sure enough, same
problem - one shot or moving the zoom lever and "battery bad" message pops
up.

Then I plugged the AC adapter into it and first time every time, the
camera
works again, just like it's supposed to, time after time, zoom in, zoom
out,
click, click, click, click, click....

Then I removed the AC adapter and used it with the same batteries only
again
and it worked every time, zooms in/out, etc. just fine and no battery bad
message.

Someone also said that there might be charging problem -- might be it.
May
be still a partially open circuit, bad solder joint or failing component
somewhere between the batteries and the power circuit. AC adapter may have
temporarily charged up capacitors enough to get a few shots from the
battery-only.

Time will tell -- will see how many photos I get out of a new set of
batteries and report back.

Thanks again to all for all the dozen of constructive help! It took
several months, but saved me $155 in repair charges and I gain a great
deal
of knowledge about how these things work.

And a special thanks to all the whiners, complainers, know-it-alls and the
"just buy another one" boys. Without your endless jabs and ignorant
comments, I probably would've dropped this months ago! B^)

Fred