Disruptions - a commentary on Polaroid, Kodak and Instagram

Old April 16th 12, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Disruptions - a commentary on Polaroid, Kodak and Instagram

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...lly-midstream/

"Innovation isn't easy, especially midstream."

“We knew we needed to change the fan belt, but we couldn’t
stop the engine,”
- Gary T. DiCamillo, former Polaroid CEO.

A good article, but it belies the success of companies like IBM. It has
shed business areas while adopting new ones many times over the last
century.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.

Old April 18th 12, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael[_6_]

On 2012-04-16 22:10:03 +0000, Alan Browne said:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...lly-midstream/

"Innovation isn't easy, especially midstream."

ÒWe knew we needed to change the fan belt, but we couldnÕt
stop the engine,Ó
- Gary T. DiCamillo, former Polaroid CEO.

A good article, but it belies the success of companies like IBM. It
has shed business areas while adopting new ones many times over the
last century.

-- "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.

Yes. But as the "pround owner" of an instagram iPhone App, the only
thing I can say about it is: it really sucks. It takes a passable
digital snapshot and makes it pure crap. Whenever I come across any of
my old SX70 or later Polaroid Incarnation images that has magically
avoided fading to complete obscurity, I cringe. The only Polaroid
photos I've seen that were actually good were ones my father took with
his original Model 95 on black and white film that had to be coated
afterwards for "permanence." The upside of Instagram is that the images
won't fade. Or maybe that's the downside.
--
Michael