Survey: camera straps

Old September 1st 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

Default Survey: camera straps

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
This leads to another question for DSLR owners:
How do you change lenses without a tripod?
You have 3 objects: camera, lens on the camera
to be removed, and lens to be put on the camera.
You have two hands.

You forgot items #4 and maybe 5: at least one, maybe 2 lens caps at the
mounting ends of the lenses.
Sometimes a well-trained octopus would come in handy...

jue

I find a table, or other flat surface, like the trunk of my car before
attempting to juggle lenses....They not only have front and rear caps, but I
keep them in cases, leather, and sometimes with zippers....It's definitely
not a job to do standing up in a canoe......

Old September 2nd 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Y, N only.
==========

1) Do you have a strap on your camera(s)?

2) Do you use it all of the time without exception when handholding?

3) Do you use it half / most of the time when handholding?

4) Do you use it only some of the time when handholding?

(separately posted to rpe.35mm as well)

Old September 2nd 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Matt Clara

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

Y, N only.
==========

1) Do you have a strap on your camera(s)?

2) Do you use it all of the time without exception when handholding?

3) Do you use it half / most of the time when handholding?

4) Do you use it only some of the time when handholding?

Define "use it." E.g., is it actually being used as a brace to aid in
stability, or just around your neck/shoulder?

--
www.mattclara.com

Old September 2nd 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Bean

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 09:03:59 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

Y, N only.

Then you need to re-word the question, because I can't
answer meaningfully with only Y/N as you'll see.

1) Do you have a strap on your camera(s)?

Y [Note: it's a *wrist* strap]

Old September 2nd 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Matt Clara wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Y, N only.
==========

1) Do you have a strap on your camera(s)?

2) Do you use it all of the time without exception when handholding?

3) Do you use it half / most of the time when handholding?

4) Do you use it only some of the time when handholding?

Define "use it." E.g., is it actually being used as a brace to aid in
stability, or just around your neck/shoulder?

The usual: eg: around neck for the safety of the camera...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 2nd 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:

1) Do you have a strap on your camera(s)?

Nope
Old September 2nd 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Phisherman

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 09:03:59 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

Y, N only.
==========

Old September 2nd 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Alan Browne wrote:

Y, N only.
==========

Sorry!

1) Do you have a strap on your camera(s)?

2) Do you use it all of the time without exception when handholding?

3) Do you use it half / most of the time when handholding?

4) Do you use it only some of the time when handholding?

I try to have the strap around an arm both handheld and on a monopod;
seldom around the neck.

--
John McWilliams
Old September 2nd 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Ruether

"Alan Browne" wrote in message ...

[ camera shoulder straps...]

Y, N only.

This doesn't permit adequate responses - it's too simple to be useful.

1) Do you have a [shoulder] strap on your camera(s)?

N - I remove them immediately upon receiving/keeping a camera - can't
stand those dang things getting in the way. I make a wrist strap out
of a shoe lace and use it when the camera is in my hand and not
stashed in the camera bag or on a tripod. Can't stand those dangly
lens caps, either - I take the lens cap off and put it in the bag.

2) Do you use it all of the time without exception when handholding?

Y - For the wrist strap.

3) Do you use it half / most of the time when handholding?

(See above...)

http://www.donferrario.com/ruether

Old September 2nd 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

David Ruether wrote:
[...]

I use the strap around my neck to hold the camera,
then with lens in one hand, I remove the lens on the
camera and slide the new lens over the camera lens
mount, minimizing time and opening around the camera
mount. With this technique, I rarely have dust
problems. For example, I have needed to clean my 1D Mark II
only twice this entire year, and that includes two weeks
shooting in dusty Africa, as well as in a house
construction zone, a trip to the Tetons, and general
photography. The dust was simply and quickly blown off
with a blower.

Roger