Nikon-Non US Warranty-So?

Old August 31st 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce

Default Nikon-Non US Warranty-So?

"Bruce" wrote in message
Hi, This is a reply I rec'd from Nikon when I asked them about my UK
bought Nikon D80 that had a USA serial number.

Bruce

"Thank you for your correspondence.

If after entering your serial number you may experience "Error 3;
Incorrect model/serial number combination". In this case your camera does
not have a European serial number.

If this error appears your camera does not have a European serial number
and you may have unwittingly purchased a grey import. Unfortunately, we
are unable to govern the source of an independent company's product as
this would breach free trade laws. We do recommend checking the product
source with the retailer prior to purchase, and for your future
information we list recommended retailers and online retailers on our
website.

At this stage, we would also recommend clarifying with your dealer your
warranty situation, as we are unable to offer a worldwide warranty for our
Digital Imaging products (internal components may differ due to localised
operating systems, voltage requirements, radio emission laws, broadcast
standards and software licensing). Warranties offered on these products
are regional only and this is also the case for similar products from the
majority our competitors.

I would, of course, like to confirm that we will happily offer technical
support for your product.

For more information about Grey Market product click here
http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/c...ted=1034191368

If you have any further questions please contact us.

Kind regards,

Aled Thomas.
"Alan Calan" wrote in message
... "

This is about the serial numbers to watch when you buy,

was emnailed these from Nikon this is the country cides for Nikons DSLR's
and what country they were imported from if they are grey market.

Serial numbers beginning with:
2 - Japan
3 - USA
4 - Europe (excluding UK)
5 - Canada
6 - Australia / New Zealand(?)
7 - Asia (excluding Japan)
8 - UK

Look the UK has their own code I wonder Dave if you buy a camera with a
Europe code will Nikon UK honor the warrenty since the last time I checked
the UK was in Europe, I have been told by a UK Nikonian that the 4 code
works in the UK and many of Jessops stuff now has the 4 code?

Bruce

How much does it matter about USA Warranties? Are these cameras
different? Are they made with different materials? What happens if
they break? Is the warranty coverage only a year?

How do you tell the difference between legit stores selling cameras
with out the US warranties and and stores that never deliver the
merchandise.

If the warranty is for a year and the saving is 50%, it might pay to
take the chance buying a camera that was sold to Italy first then
here.

I'm sure this is not the first time this question has been asked and I
apologize for the repition but I would love to buy a D200 with a good
VR lens. I just took pictures at a family wedding and I really think
I could benefit from the VR but for better prices than you can do at
B&H. What about a store like Abe's of Maine, which has been around
for decades?

Had it not been for the announcement of the D300, I probably would
have had the D200 already.

Old August 31st 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Matt Clara

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
Alan Calan wrote:
How much does it matter about USA Warranties?

To whom?

Are these cameras different?

Possible, but unlikely. Although manufacturers have been known to sell the
same product under different names or with different options in different
regions of the world.

Are they made with different materials?

Even less likely.

What happens if they break?

Then they don't work any longer.

Is the warranty coverage only a year?

That depends very much on the dealer, the manufacturer, and the legal
requirements in the country of purchase.

How do you tell the difference between legit stores selling cameras
with out the US warranties and and stores that never deliver the
merchandise.

That line may not be very sharp and often along "if we get it overseas
then we have it, otherwise we won't deliver".

If the warranty is for a year and the saving is 50%, it might pay to
take the chance buying a camera that was sold to Italy first then
here.

Depending upon where "here" is you may have the same rights as when
purchased locally and can even sue locally within the EU. A lot has
changed in the last few years regarding online purchases from other EU
countries.

jue

Being from Germany, it's entirely understandable why you don't understand
the US system imposed by Nikon USA; however, I have no idea why you'd try to
answer based on your lack of knowledge--it's not helpful, and comes off as
smart-ass.

--
www.mattclara.com

Old August 31st 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Alan Calan wrote:

How much does it matter about USA Warranties?

My experience... When I dropped and cracked my D70, I went to a place
that had a D200 at a reasonable price (they were just coming out at that
time) and that dealer offered to send my broken D70 in to see if it
could be repaired. As far as I can see, that's all the dealer has to do
to fulfill their part of the warranty and if you bought the camera in
Japan on vacation or gray market, you simply would have to pay postage
and be responsible for nagging the Nikon repair center. In my case, they
would have covered the shipping on a gray market camera, no questions
asked, they were simply providing me with their standard level of
customer service. They could have refused and sent me back to the place
I bought the D70 but they didn't because I was now their new paying
customer.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old August 31st 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Paul Furman wrote:

Alan Calan wrote:

How much does it matter about USA Warranties?

My experience... When I dropped and cracked my D70, I went to a place
that had a D200 at a reasonable price (they were just coming out at that
time) and that dealer offered to send my broken D70 in to see if it
could be repaired. As far as I can see, that's all the dealer has to do
to fulfill their part of the warranty and if you bought the camera in
Japan on vacation or gray market, you simply would have to pay postage

OK well if it was a warranty repair versus a paid repair, I guess they
might make you ship it back to Japan because Nikon USA gets their money
from cameras imported through them with USA warranties... if I
understand correctly... they get their paychecks & rent paid through
official imports & gray market imports have nothing to do with them.

Old August 31st 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Andrew Koenig

"Alan Calan" wrote in message

I am assuming that you are talking about a camera purchased in the USA for
use in the USA, as I know very little about the situation elsewhere.

How much does it matter about USA Warranties? Are these cameras
different? Are they made with different materials? What happens if
they break? Is the warranty coverage only a year?

The cameras are the same, although sometimes the model name is different.

The only difference is whether the camera passed through the hands of Nikon
USA on its way to the dealer.

If it did, and it breaks within the warranty period, then Nikon USA will fix
or replace it for you. If it didn't, you have to find someplace else to fix
it. If the store who sold it to you is reputable, then they will have made
alternative repair arrangements. Otherwise, you're on your own.

Incidentally, for some models--perhaps all digital SLRs--Nikon USA will not
repair gray-market cameras, even out of warranty, and even if you want to
pay for the repair. If they didn't handle it, they won't fix it.

How do you tell the difference between legit stores selling cameras
with out the US warranties and and stores that never deliver the
merchandise.

One useful starting point is to check out the reviews at
http://photo.net/neighbor/one-subcat...=2&by_date_p=f

If the warranty is for a year and the saving is 50%, it might pay to
take the chance buying a camera that was sold to Italy first then
here.

Saving 50%? Not likely.

I'm sure this is not the first time this question has been asked and I
apologize for the repition but I would love to buy a D200 with a good
VR lens. I just took pictures at a family wedding and I really think
I could benefit from the VR but for better prices than you can do at
B&H. What about a store like Abe's of Maine, which has been around
for decades?

Check the reviews, then make up your mind.

Had it not been for the announcement of the D300, I probably would
have had the D200 already.

If past experience is a guide, you won't be able to buy a D300 until next
spring.

Old September 2nd 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

Not Disclosed wrote:
Jürgen Exner wrote:
But it is the dealer who is the other party in the sales contract. I
am offering and giving my money for a product that is free of
defects. If the product does have a defect then the dealer did not
fullfill his part of the contract.

Well I can state with Nikon Canada, if the camera is DOA the store
MUST SEND THE CAMERA TO NIKON CANADA for warranty. They won't get
reimbursed if they swap the bad camera over the counter. So
effectively the dealer is out of pocket. So sad too bad is Nikon
Canada's policy.

By all means. While the dealer is on point to keep his end of the sales
contract I certainly won't blame him for trying to fix the problem by
repairing the camera first instead of just swapping it for a new one. And
because he is unlikely to have the knowledge to repair it I won't blame him
for following whatever agreement he has with the manufacturer, either, as
long as I get a working camera at the end.

jue

Old September 2nd 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

Bruce wrote:
This is about the serial numbers to watch when you buy,

was emnailed these from Nikon this is the country cides for Nikons
DSLR's and what country they were imported from if they are grey
market.
Serial numbers beginning with:
2 - Japan
3 - USA
4 - Europe (excluding UK)
5 - Canada
6 - Australia / New Zealand(?)
7 - Asia (excluding Japan)
8 - UK

Look the UK has their own code I wonder Dave if you buy a camera with
a Europe code will Nikon UK honor the warrenty since the last time I
checked the UK was in Europe, I have been told by a UK Nikonian that
the 4 code works in the UK and many of Jessops stuff now has the 4
code?

GB is part of the EU and as part of the EU harmonization _A_LOT_ has changed
recently wrt. consumer protection laws, in particular online shopping. I
believe a
I am not an expert, but it is certainly worthwhile looking into how these
changes affect warrenties and services. I think a UK company would find it
very difficult to deny service to a customer from let's say France or Italy
on the grounds that he is not from the UK.

jue

Old September 2nd 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

Matt Clara wrote:
"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
Being from Germany, it's entirely understandable why you don't
understand the US system imposed by Nikon USA; however, I have no
idea why you'd try to answer based on your lack of knowledge--it's
not helpful, and comes off as smart-ass.

Well considering the OP didn't write what country he is talking about I
suppose that's exactly why I wrote

quote
That depends very much on the dealer, the manufacturer, and the legal
requirements in the country of purchase.
/quote

He mentioned US warranties a couple of times, but that could just as well be
for purchases in the USA by people visiting the USA or ordering online from
the USA.

There