Canon's gaping system holes STILL exist

Old August 21st 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default Canon's gaping system holes STILL exist

The 40D is an upgrade on the 30D, no question. But it's no D200 and
so Canon continues without a real prosumer, semi-pro body. Your
choices are simple; $1300 for the 40D then a huge jump of $1500 to
the 5D, which itself is technically inferior (build wise) to the
40D!!! In addition, the creaky old plastic toy 400XTi still exists,
sitting at around $600 with NOTHING above it until you hit the twice
as costly 40D.

Old August 21st 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"M-M" wrote:
RichA wrote:

The 40D is an upgrade on the 30D, no question. But it's no D200

Why not?

It's not a D200 because it's way better. Better dynamic range (14 bits),
better sensor (Canon not Sony), better lenses (especially in the telephoto
IS range, which is why you buy an APS-C camera), better upgrade path when
you outgrow the subminiature APS-C sensor.

David J. Littleboy

Tokyo, Japan

Old August 21st 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"M-M" wrote:
RichA wrote:

The 40D is an upgrade on the 30D, no question. But it's no D200

Why not?

It's not a D200 because it's way better. Better dynamic range (14 bits),
better sensor (Canon not Sony), better lenses (especially in the telephoto
IS range, which is why you buy an APS-C camera), better upgrade path when
you outgrow the subminiature APS-C sensor.

It's true. Canon have what appears to be an unassailable position with
vapourware, and looks likely to be able maintain that position for a
number of days.

(Also, I don't see the feature set downgrade from a 40d to 5d as being
very desirable step in the "upgrade path")
Old August 21st 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"frederick" wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:
"M-M" wrote:
RichA wrote:

The 40D is an upgrade on the 30D, no question. But it's no D200
Why not?

It's not a D200 because it's way better. Better dynamic range (14 bits),
better sensor (Canon not Sony), better lenses (especially in the
telephoto IS range, which is why you buy an APS-C camera), better upgrade
path when you outgrow the subminiature APS-C sensor.

It's true. Canon have what appears to be an unassailable position with
vapourware, and looks likely to be able maintain that position for a
number of days.

Huh? If you've been paying attention over the years, you'd know that Canon
almost always coughs up actual product _much_ sooner after the press release
than Nikon does. (This is not nessessarily a good thing; if you buy a camera
and the new model is released the next week, with Nikon, at least you've
still got 6 months with the current model even after the announcementg.)

(Also, I don't see the feature set downgrade from a 40d to 5d as being
very desirable step in the "upgrade path")

You seem to have conveniently forgotten the 1DsIII (to say nothing of used
1DsIIs that'll be flooding the market shortly as the commercial studios jump
on the 1DsIII).

But the 5D will still be a small upgrade in image quality (although 12.7 is
a pretty minor increment in resolution), a large increment in high-ISO
performance, and a big improvement in WA performance (e.g. Stigma 12-24,
Canon 24 TSE).

And there will either be a new 5D fairly soon (probably 16MP, which is a big
upgrade from 10MP), or the 50D will be full frame.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 21st 07, 08:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"frederick" wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:
"M-M" wrote:
RichA wrote:

[...]

heh - lol yes.
Nikon have a good history of keeping schtung, but I guess
unsubstantiated rumours count as "pre-release" to some dedicated forum
readers.

(Also, I don't see the feature set downgrade from a 40d to 5d as being
very desirable step in the "upgrade path")

You seem to have conveniently forgotten the 1DsIII (to say nothing of used
1DsIIs that'll be flooding the market shortly as the commercial studios jump
on the 1DsIII).

Good lord - which firmware upgrade do you need to make that an "upgrade
path"? Already DPreview forums are full of posts saying "shall I return
my 1dIII and get a 40D?".
BTW, real commercial studios use Hasselblads.

But the 5D will still be a small upgrade in image quality (although 12.7 is
a pretty minor increment in resolution), a large increment in high-ISO
performance, and a big improvement in WA performance (e.g. Stigma 12-24,
Canon 24 TSE).

Where's Randall Ainsworth and Rita when you need them?
Did you d/l the 40d iso 3200 raw files? They are unbelievable.

And there will either be a new 5D fairly soon (probably 16MP, which is a big
upgrade from 10MP), or the 50D will be full frame.

The 50d will be 48x36? You made that up - didn't you?
Old August 21st 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

frederick wrote:

BTW, real commercial studios use Hasselblads.

And here _I_ thought a commercial studio was defined by it's
ability to produce good enough images at good enough prices to
stay commercial viable, instead of having expensive equipment
(but being a commercial failure).

But since you say so ...

-Wolfgang
Old August 21st 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
frederick wrote:

You seem to have conveniently forgotten the 1DsIII (to say nothing
of used 1DsIIs that'll be flooding the market shortly as the
commercial studios jump on the 1DsIII).

Good lord - which firmware upgrade do you need to make that an
"upgrade path"? Already DPreview forums are full of posts saying
"shall I return my 1dIII and get a 40D?".

Maybe this is the reason why the Mk III is going for $3,151 on the used
market! It seems it is going to be a buyer's market for all things Canon
in
the next several months. This even defies the depreciation curve factored
into the 18-month rule.

http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ250154121512

That's a 1DIIn, you idiot.

I'm sitting this one out while I enjoy my Mk III's high ISO performance.
Canon did good with this beast. I can't wait to see what Nikon introduces
next.

The only thing Nikon could do of interest would be a FF sensor.

Seriously, it's a great time to be into photography with all the
great products being introduced by both Canon and Nikon.

Well, Canon at least. But it's been a great time to be in photography ever
since the Mamiya 7 and Nikon 8000, which run circles around anything 24x36.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 21st 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Aug 20, 11:52 pm, "David J. Littleboy" wrote:
"M-M" wrote:
RichA wrote:

The 40D is an upgrade on the 30D, no question. But it's no D200

Why not?

It's not a D200 because it's way better. Better dynamic range (14 bits),
better sensor (Canon not Sony), better lenses (especially in the telephoto
IS range, which is why you buy an APS-C camera), better upgrade path when
you outgrow the subminiature APS-C sensor.

So if the APS-C is "subminiature" what does that make the FF?
Miniature?

Old August 21st 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"M-M" wrote:
RichA wrote:

The 40D is an upgrade on the 30D, no question. But it's no D200

Why not?

It's not a D200 because it's way better. Better dynamic range (14 bits),
better sensor (Canon not Sony), better lenses (especially in the
telephoto
IS range, which is why you buy an APS-C camera), better upgrade path when
you outgrow the subminiature APS-C sensor.

So if the APS-C is "subminiature" what does that make the FF?
Miniature?

Exactly.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 21st 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Matt Clara

frederick wrote:

[...]

You're selling Nikon short. I've owned many cameras, and none are more
functional or well built than my D200. Further, the enlarged feature set of
the newly announced 40d are a direct response to the D200--you should write
Nikon a thank you note and hope that they continue to produce exciting, high
quality products. It's good for everybody.

ps. I bet my Nikon still drives more nails than your canon... ;-)

--
www.mattclara.com