Circular Polarizer/UV Filter Question

Old August 20th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
BRH

Default Circular Polarizer/UV Filter Question

John wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

BRH wrote:

I just bought a circular polarizer for my D80.

Is it best to:
a) remove the UV filter that I have on the lens now as protection nad
use just the polarizer,
b) place the polarizer between the lens and the UV filter and leave
it there, or
c) just put the polarizer on top of the UV filter and remove
it/re-install it as needed?

Best: remove filter and mount the CP.

However, you might also stack the CP over another filter, such as an
ND.
For full-frame lenses on a cropped sensor camera, there is little risk
of vigentting.

LOL Make up your mind. First you say it is now it isn't LOL

You clearly have your head up your ass.

FWIW, about half my lenses have no filter at all for normal shooting.
Those lenses with large front glass (eg: 72mm) or with little
protection from the lens shade, I add a UV or NC filter.

Cheers,
Alan

OP here -- Thanks to all for the replies. Didn't mean to start a flame
war.....
Old August 20th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John[_9_]

BRH wrote:
John wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

BRH wrote:

[...]

Welcome to usenet. Your best option would be to register and post to a forum
like http://www.dpreview.com/ and never look back.

Good luck.

J.

Old August 20th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Matt Clara

"John" wrote in message
. ..
Bob Salomon wrote:
In article , BRH BRH
wrote:

Bob Salomon wrote:
In article , BRH BRH
wrote:

I just bought a circular polarizer for my D80.

Is it best to:
a) remove the UV filter that I have on the lens now as protection
nad use just the polarizer,
b) place the polarizer between the lens and the UV filter and
leave it there, or
c) just put the polarizer on top of the UV filter and remove
it/re-install it as needed?

Most of my photos will be outdoor in natural light --
nature/landscape/scenery.

Thanks!

Remove the UV. Actually throw the UV away and get a Protection
filter to use on the lens when you don't use the polarizer.

Excuse my ignorance about this, but what is a protection filter, and
how does it differ from a UV filter? I bought the UV filter
strictly as "protection" for the lens.

Thanks.

A protection filter is made from absolutely clear glass. A UV filter
is made from a slightly yellowish piece of glass. Or, in the case of
Tiffen, with 2 pieces of glass and a slightly yellow laminate
material.

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...filter-UV.html

Wow. There is so little difference between the images as to make the whole
point moot. As far as filters go, I use polarizers with heavy haze and
(more rarely) to kill unwanted reflections, neutral density gradient
filters, and that's about it (for color photography, anyway).

--
www.mattclara.com

Old August 21st 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

John wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
BRH wrote:
I just bought a circular polarizer for my D80.

Is it best to:
a) remove the UV filter that I have on the lens now as protection nad
use just the polarizer,
b) place the polarizer between the lens and the UV filter and leave
it there, or
c) just put the polarizer on top of the UV filter and remove
it/re-install it as needed?

Best: remove filter and mount the CP.

However, you might also stack the CP over another filter, such as an
ND.
For full-frame lenses on a cropped sensor camera, there is little risk
of vigentting.

LOL Make up your mind. First you say it is now it isn't LOL

Since you clearly don't understand why someone might use a ND with a CP
it's really not my problem. The point is that a CP is the last place to
add a "no effect" filter for the sake of protection (as you so
stringently desire for reasons you can't defend in your other post).

Adding an ND to stretch exposure time with a wider aperture setting is a
valid use of it with a CP. Adding a UV "protection" filter over a CP is
really not useful.

The point is to understand what filters can and should be used together,
and what filters should be avoided. If you were to actually do
photography this would become clear enough, in time.

You clearly have your head up your ass.

*PLONK*