21MP 1Ds Mark III Announced

Old August 23rd 07, 05:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
John Smith[_5_]

Default 21MP 1Ds Mark III Announced

David,

Why do you say the D2X (or D2Xs I assume) is a joke for sports and PJ work?
What's deficient in it?

Thanks,
John

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
David J. Littleboy wrote:

He's currently correct when it comes to the dSLR body. I'll give
Nikon a year to totally trash the Mk III.

ROFL. They're still nowhere close to even the 1DsII. And that's been
more than 3 years. And won't be until they go FF.

I never mentioned the 1Ds. You're correct that Nikon won't be competing
on
the FF field. Nikon will make a decent 1D Mk III killer.

ROFL again. They remain nowhere close to the 1DII. The D2x is a joke for
sports and PJ work.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 23rd 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
David J. Littleboy

"John Smith" wrote:
David,

Why do you say the D2X (or D2Xs I assume) is a joke for sports and PJ
work? What's deficient in it?

Lack of high ISO performance. Also, for available light work, one tends to
use one's lenses wide open. The extremely fine pixel pitch will mean that
one will see the softness due to lens abberations. This isn't as much of a
problem as I make it out to be, though, because it's only shorter lenses for
which this is really an issue. The 1DsIII will have similar problems.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 23rd 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
frederick

John Smith wrote:
David,

Why do you say the D2X (or D2Xs I assume) is a joke for sports and PJ work?
What's deficient in it?

Thanks,
John

He's winding you up - trolling.

OTOH don't even think about buying a D2X at anywhere near retail price.
The now announced D3 absolutely trumps it, and the D300 looks like it
might also trump it - and only costs US$1800.
Old August 23rd 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
frederick

G.T. wrote:
"frederick" wrote in message
David J. Littleboy wrote:
"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:
frederick wrote:

Canon Nikon.

Rumour has it, that situation changes in 3 hours.
He's currently correct when it comes to the dSLR body. I'll give Nikon
a year to totally trash the Mk III.
ROFL. They're still nowhere close to even the 1DsII. And that's been more
than 3 years. And won't be until they go FF.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Oops - Looks like they just gazumped the 1DIII

Full Frame at 9fps / DX crop @ 11fps.
Hi2 mode ISO 25,600
Normal mode up to ISO 6400

US $5,000

Also, as has been predicted:
14-24 AFs F2.8
24-70 AFs F2.8
400mm 2.8, 500mm f4, and 600mm f4, all with AFs & VR

I guess Rita bought his Mk III too soon.

Greg

Lol - I think so. The big surprise is that it's only $500 more than
the 1DIII, and the famed 17-35 also just got gazumped by new AF-s f2.8
14-24.
Old August 23rd 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
frederick

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:

He's currently correct when it comes to the dSLR body. I'll give
Nikon a year to totally trash the Mk III.

ROFL. They're still nowhere close to even the 1DsII. And that's been
more than 3 years. And won't be until they go FF.

I never mentioned the 1Ds. You're correct that Nikon won't be competing on
the FF field. Nikon will make a decent 1D Mk III killer. They need VR on
the long lenses. This is what drove me to buy the Mk III. Hopefully I'll
be seeing a 500/4L IS soon.

Why not get a AFS VR 400mm f2.8 /500mm f4 / or 600mm f4 Nikkor?
Sell the 1DIII while there's still a market.
Old August 23rd 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
nospam

In article 1187842023.275000@ftpsrv1, frederick wrote:

Oops - Looks like they just gazumped the 1DIII

Full Frame at 9fps / DX crop @ 11fps.
Hi2 mode ISO 25,600
Normal mode up to ISO 6400

there's more...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8742-9083
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond3/

14 bit (switchable to 12 bit for speed & smaller files)
automatic correction of lateral chromatic aberration
a 'virtual level' for horizons
live view *with* autofocus
51 point autofocus (and infinite point in live view tripod mode)
dx mode with dx lenses, or activated manually
two compact flash slots
Old August 23rd 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
frederick

frederick wrote:

Canon Nikon.

Rumour has it, that situation changes in 3 hours.

He's currently correct when it comes to the dSLR body. I'll give Nikon a
year to totally trash the Mk III.

ROFL. They're still nowhere close to even the 1DsII. And that's been more
than 3 years. And won't be until they go FF.

Whaddya mean?...
Ooops - sorry - you wrote that yesterday.
Old August 23rd 07, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
David J. Littleboy

"frederick" wrote:

Oops - Looks like they just gazumped the 1DIII

Full Frame at 9fps / DX crop @ 11fps.

No gajumping he

The 11 fps only works without AF tracking, so it's really a 9 fps camera.
Also, a DX crop from a 12.9MP sensor isn't a lot of pixels (a measly 5.8MP).

But it is a sensible design. Finally.

The D300, on the other hand, is nuts. Too many pixels in too small a space.
If they had used the D3 sensor and the same FF/DX switching with, say 3 fps
and 6 fps, they'd have a 5D killer, forcing Canon to get off their butts and
release a 16MP 5DII.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 23rd 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
David J. Littleboy

frederick wrote:

Canon Nikon.

Rumour has it, that situation changes in 3 hours.
He's currently correct when it comes to the dSLR body. I'll give Nikon
a year to totally trash the Mk III.

ROFL. They're still nowhere close to even the 1DsII. And that's been more
than 3 years. And won't be until they go FF.

Whaddya mean?...
Ooops - sorry - you wrote that yesterday.

Didn't take long for that to be historyg. Hooray! Canon's got some
competition. Finally.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 23rd 07, 05:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
frederick

nospam wrote:
In article 1187842023.275000@ftpsrv1, frederick wrote:

Oops - Looks like they just gazumped the 1DIII

Full Frame at 9fps / DX crop @ 11fps.
Hi2 mode ISO 25,600
Normal mode up to ISO 6400

there's more...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8742-9083
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond3/

14 bit (switchable to 12 bit for speed & smaller files)
automatic correction of lateral chromatic aberration
a 'virtual level' for horizons
live view *with* autofocus
51 point autofocus (and infinite point in live view tripod mode)
dx mode with dx lenses, or activated manually
two compact flash slots

Yeah - there's previews up on DPReview now too.
Both cameras expected to be available in November.
The D3 is out of my price range, but the D300 looks like the camera I've
been waiting for. I'm glad I skipped the D200, stuck with my D70 and
spent what I would have done on lenses instead.