Sepia

Old September 28th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Conrad

Default Sepia

Hi,

Interesting recent discussion on Sepia tone pictures at Photoshop
Usenet site. I've been using Sepia setting for some pictures with my
Canon Digital Rebel. I know this is a no-no with many people but I
wanted to see what the camera could do.

However, if you set on Raw capture (creative mode) - Sepia setting
yields color image. This makes sense, I guess, since Raw means
no/little processing by camera software. I guess "color" is the default
setting in the creative zone of this camera.

Canon Digital rebel also allows dual settings and when Raw plus jpeg
are selected - you get a color image and Sepia (when sepia is the
selected capture version) with one shot. Isn't technology wonderful.

Best,

Conrad
Camp Sherman, Oregon

Old September 28th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Conrad wrote:
Hi,

Interesting recent discussion on Sepia tone pictures at Photoshop
Usenet site. I've been using Sepia setting for some pictures with my
Canon Digital Rebel. I know this is a no-no with many people but I
wanted to see what the camera could do.

However, if you set on Raw capture (creative mode) - Sepia setting
yields color image. This makes sense, I guess, since Raw means
no/little processing by camera software. I guess "color" is the default
setting in the creative zone of this camera.

Canon Digital rebel also allows dual settings and when Raw plus jpeg
are selected - you get a color image and Sepia (when sepia is the
selected capture version) with one shot. Isn't technology wonderful.

Conrad-

Since you are experimenting a bit, download Lightroom (beta 4) and play
with some of the settings there for both B+W and sepia, straight out of
RAW..... lots of fun!

--
John McWilliams
Old September 29th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randy Berbaum

Conrad wrote:
: Hi,

: Interesting recent discussion on Sepia tone pictures at Photoshop
: Usenet site. I've been using Sepia setting for some pictures with my
: Canon Digital Rebel. I know this is a no-no with many people but I
: wanted to see what the camera could do.

: However, if you set on Raw capture (creative mode) - Sepia setting
: yields color image. This makes sense, I guess, since Raw means
: no/little processing by camera software. I guess "color" is the default
: setting in the creative zone of this camera.

: Canon Digital rebel also allows dual settings and when Raw plus jpeg
: are selected - you get a color image and Sepia (when sepia is the
: selected capture version) with one shot. Isn't technology wonderful.

There's a good reason why Sepia is rendered in a "color" space. The
brownish tint that characterizes Sepia is neither white or black. So for
Sepia to be rendered it requires a color component to the data. You can
get a pseudo-Sepia by capturing or changing a color image to grey tone and
then changing back to color before applying a tan wash to the entire
image. Some cameras do not change to grey tone before the wash and
so you may get a color image with the sepia wash instead of a B&W image
with the wash. Not very appropriate. Also the Sepia in camera tends to
have only one value and so I tend to do all my Sepia conversion in post so
I can have a little more control over the degree of coloration applied.
And to make it even more effective I sometimes lighten or darken the Sepia
tone in blotches. This makes the finished image look much more like the
old images with the browning of the paper that has become known as Sepia.

Randy

Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL