What will Pentax do next?

Old August 14th 05, 02:27 AM
Isaiah Beard

Nicholas Wittebol wrote:
I find it funny that you acknowledge that you are asking for
speculation, and then later discard information about a future 8, 10, 12
mp anti-shake replacement because it is just speculation...

What do you expect? He owns an Official Camera of the Internet[tm].

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Old August 14th 05, 02:33 AM
Polly Pentax

"Charles" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:08:06 +0100, "Polly Pentax"
wrote:

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
. ..
"Polly Pentax" wrote:

I know that I'm asking for speculative and subjective opinions, but I
would
appreciate some input on my dilemma

I'm currently happily using an *istD, and have half a dozen reasonable
lenses.

The *istD still seems (to me) to be far and away the best Pentax dslr,
the
DS was tolerable - but the DL (with its 'digital filters') is nothing
short
of a 'Fun-Cam'.

But the istD is now discontinued (as is the DS) and in very short
supply -
Pentax UK don't have a single one left.

I have the chance to buy a new *istD body for £450, and there is my
dilemma - do I buy an obsolete (although very well made and extremely
satisfactory) camera, thereby safeguarding my lens investment, or do I
wait
and hope that Pentax will bring out another 'real' dslr?

I've read all the speculation about an 8mp, 10mp, 12,mp (take your pick)
,
anti-shake replacement for the *istD - but that's ALL it is,
speculation.

Part of me desperately wants to believe that Pentax will shortly
announce
such a model, and part of me thinks that, given their dire economic
situation, Pentax might not even be making digital cameras this time
next
year.

If I let this body go I certainly won't finds another new one if I need
it.
If I buy it and Pentax suddenly announce a new high specification camera
will have bought the second *istD in vain - I know I could sell it - but
the
price would have to be low if a new all singing-all-dancing model was
about
to ship.

I have to admit to feeling a bit pessimistic about the future of
Pentax -
their three dslr's have been a dismal progression downwards in terms of
features and quality. No dealer I've spoken to rates their chances of
survival very highly- but who knows?

So, what would you do? - chance a new body announcement?, buy the *istD
and
know I've got a replacement if/when necessary?, or sell up and go for a
surer bet like Canon?

No matter which you buy, there will always be something better around
the corner. If that worries you, just don't buy a DSLR. Ever.

The *ist D for £450 is good value. I paid £21 less for mine, but I
have also seen them advertised at £579 in Jessops. So £450 is good.

If you buy a Canon DSLR, the situation is exactly the same.

Hi, Tony.

I think that the difference with Canon is that you can be almost 100%
certain that they will still be around in a couple of years, and will have
good upgrade models available to purchase.

Whether the same is true for Pentax must be debatable, given their current
position.

The D is available at Park Cameras for £600 - but they only have a few.
No-one else that I know of (apart from this single one at £450) has them
in
stock at all, and Pentax UK also have no stocks left. So, it's buy now,
or
almost certainly do without in the future - UNLESS Pentax come up with a
replacement.

I also take Kitt's point that, if it's good enough, it doesn't matter
whether any new bodies are forthcoming - except for the fact that I'll be
reluctant to add expensive lenses without a clear upgrade path.

Will Pentax keep tolerating losses on their digital imaging division?,
that's the question. In fact, 'will' the promised Medium Format model,
mentioned by John, actually materialise?

I have to say, it's at times like this that I wish I had a collection of
Cannon or Nikon lenses, instead of Pentax.

Pop Photo thinks Pentax will come out with a 645D. I abandond my
pentax glass, the *ist was too small for my hands.

How about we make a deal, I'll get you a *ist, you gett me one of
these to use on my Bronica?

http://www.creo.com/global/products/...ptus22/default

sound okay?

Not an easy thing to steal, I suspect - they're bound to have it in a locked
glass display cabinet. There's just no fun left in shoplifting any more.

It does look rather tasty though

Old August 14th 05, 02:38 AM
John Francis

About the time the DS was released, some high-up at Pentax
was asked about future plans. While he didn't lay out too
much in great detail (although he did show the lens road map)
he suggested that the next DSLR would be an even cheaper
model (which we've now seen - the DL). Then would come a
digital medium format body, which is already announced.

After that (probably around the PMA 2006 timeframe) would
be a follow-on model for the *ist-D. This will still use
an APS-C sized sensor. Apart from that not much is known.
Obviously it will need to be enough better than the *ist-D
to be tempting as an upgrade. I expect 10-12MP, a faster
and bigger buffer, and a 2.5" LCD. I also expect it to
keep the two control wheels of the D. Some people expect
to see the return of the aperture simulator coupling, but
I'm not one of them. I also expect to see a battery grip
with vertical shutter release - maybe it would even share
the BG-1 that the D uses.

All speculation, but I don't expect to be too wide of the mark.

Old August 14th 05, 02:39 AM
Polly Pentax

"Isaiah Beard" wrote in message
Nicholas Wittebol wrote:
I find it funny that you acknowledge that you are asking for speculation,
and then later discard information about a future 8, 10, 12 mp anti-shake
replacement because it is just speculation...

What do you expect? He owns an Official Camera of the Internet[tm].

That's the trouble with this group - every amateur comedian for miles around
regards it as a stage from which to dazzle the audience with their fondly
imagined wit.

Perhaps I should have known better than to ask for advice here - I'd
probably have better luck in an Ape house, just get a Chimp to point to a
couple of cards, 'Buy', or 'Not Buy'.

Old August 14th 05, 02:41 AM
Charles

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:33:42 +0100, "Polly Pentax"
wrote:

.. .

"Polly Pentax" wrote:

[...]

Pop Photo says only $29,999. that's US of course, no VAT added yet.
Old August 14th 05, 03:12 AM
Darrell

"Polly Pentax" wrote in message

Will Pentax keep tolerating losses on their digital imaging division?,
that's the question. In fact, 'will' the promised Medium Format model,
mentioned by John, actually materialise?

I don't think Pentax said they were losing money. I believe their earning
fell below projections, there is a difference!

Pentax has always been a victim of their own marketing departments. They
should follow Nikon's lead with the new D50 commercials (in Canada) very
good commercials.

I would like to see an *ist LX. I don't have a big wish list. I don't dream
of a Pentax 1Ds mk.II. I get pretty good results right now with my *ist D.
What would I like to see? Pentax has a different philosophy, so here's what
could be interesting;

1/. Open RAW support http://www.openraw.org and/or a firmware SDK imagine
being able to truly customize camera functions. This could create a niche
market for them.

2/. Bring back and market their Pro glass, Pentax has had 200/2.8, 300/2.8,
400/2.8. 500/4 etc. IS/VR would be good, maybe licence the Minolta AS. I
don't know what stabilization Pentax is testing, but I would be happy to
field (BETA) test a VR telezoom

I really enjoy my *ist D, as much as my LX. I have been a long time Pentax
owner, bought my first real camera in 1972 a Pentax Spotmatic II.

Old August 14th 05, 09:30 AM
webwald

Polly Pentax wrote:

So, what would you do? - chance a new body announcement?, buy the
*istD and know I've got a replacement if/when necessary?, or sell up
and go for a surer bet like Canon?

I'd just wait for the replacement to the *istD. I think that Pentax
will be replacing this model, otherwise their line of professional
lenses might not have much of a market. It will certainly be
interesting to see what they deliver. Hopefully it will be at least a
10 MP sensor.

--
Witold
Old August 14th 05, 11:39 AM
Kitt

"Polly Pentax" wrote:

I know that I'm asking for speculative and subjective opinions, but I
would
appreciate some input on my dilemma

I'm currently happily using an *istD, and have half a dozen reasonable
lenses.

The *istD still seems (to me) to be far and away the best Pentax dslr, =

the
DS was tolerable - but the DL (with its 'digital filters') is nothing
short
of a 'Fun-Cam'.

But the istD is now discontinued (as is the DS) and in very short suppl=

y -
Pentax UK don't have a single one left.

I have the chance to buy a new *istD body for =A3450, and there is my
dilemma - do I buy an obsolete (although very well made and extremely
satisfactory) camera, thereby safeguarding my lens investment, or do I
wait
and hope that Pentax will bring out another 'real' dslr?

I've read all the speculation about an 8mp, 10mp, 12,mp (take your pick=

) ,
anti-shake replacement for the *istD - but that's ALL it is, speculatio=

n=2E

Part of me desperately wants to believe that Pentax will shortly announ=

ce
such a model, and part of me thinks that, given their dire economic
situation, Pentax might not even be making digital cameras this time ne=

xt
year.

If I let this body go I certainly won't finds another new one if I need
it.
If I buy it and Pentax suddenly announce a new high specification camer=

a I

-
their three dslr's have been a dismal progression downwards in terms of
features and quality. No dealer I've spoken to rates their chances of
survival very highly- but who knows?

So, what would you do? - chance a new body announcement?, buy the *istD
and
know I've got a replacement if/when necessary?, or sell up and go for a
surer bet like Canon?

No matter which you buy, there will always be something better around
the corner. If that worries you, just don't buy a DSLR. Ever.

The *ist D for =A3450 is good value. I paid =A321 less for mine, but I
have also seen them advertised at =A3579 in Jessops. So =A3450 is good.

If you buy a Canon DSLR, the situation is exactly the same.

Hi, Tony.

I think that the difference with Canon is that you can be almost 100%
certain that they will still be around in a couple of years, and will have
good upgrade models available to purchase.

Whether the same is true for Pentax must be debatable, given their current
position.

The D is available at Park Cameras for =A3600 - but they only have a few.
No-one else that I know of (apart from this single one at =A3450) has the=

m in
stock at all, and Pentax UK also have no stocks left. So, it's buy now, =

or
almost certainly do without in the future - UNLESS Pentax come up with a
replacement.

I also take Kitt's point that, if it's good enough, it doesn't matter
whether any new bodies are forthcoming - except for the fact that I'll be
reluctant to add expensive lenses without a clear upgrade path.

That might even be a bright spot. Kind of an immunization from the
"Photo Hobbyist Disease". It would force you to get the most out of a
perfectly good camera and the lenses that go with it before you're
tempted by the latest and greatest? ;o)

Old August 14th 05, 01:38 PM
Glenn

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 00:49:37 +0100, "Polly Pentax"
wrote:

So, what would you do? - chance a new body announcement?, buy the *istD and
know I've got a replacement if/when necessary?, or sell up and go for a
surer bet like Canon?

Thanks for your input.

If, and I think it is a very BIG if, Pentax doesn't make any new
cameras, you could have 2 ist D cameras that may be in demand by
others.

Personally, I like my ist Ds.

Glenn