Next View Camera conference

Old September 12th 04, 04:00 AM
Shelley

Anonymous said:
Perhaps Jorge and Shelley should go ahead and go to Chicago together. I'd
sure they'd have a lovely time together together LOL

Thanks for the suggestion, I like Chicago a lot, great town, nice people,
the place where my Deardorff originated. Perhaps you could join Jorge and I
in Chicago, the three of us could meet, have a beer together. I'm a big
admirer of your posts here, some of them show so much maturity and
intelligence.

"Anonymous" wrote in message
Perhaps Jorge and Shelley should go ahead and go to Chicago together. I'd
sure they'd have a lovely time together together... LOL

"Jorge Gasteazoro" wrote in message
om...
(BBarlow690) wrote in message
I, for one, posted Springfield early on as a suggestion, surely earning
Jorge's
ire for all eternity.

Since then, I have lobbied Steve hard to bring it to the Northeast,
specifically to Springfield, and understand what all Steve and the VC
folks
looked at in evaluating there and other eastern destinations as well,
including
all the suggestions he received via posts.

I lobbied based on closeness to the Hartford/Springfield airport (that
consistently has good service and fares), availability of sufficient
conference
space, proximity to interesting places to photograph (which I hope to
have the
Western New England Large Format Photography Group help with outings),
and not
the least, the Basketball Hall of Fame.

So I'll take some of the rap, gladly, because I'm happy to see the
conference
come east, and, quite honestly, be in my own back yard, even though I
thoroughly enjoye Monterey last April, and always enjoy Santa Fe. Call
me a
sore winner...

Bruce Barlow

Nope, I could not care less where it is held or how much you lobbbied.
Certainly I dont see you as "winning" anything. I do notice you are
the only one suggesting this venue, when many more people suggested
Las Vegas, Chicago, etc. Cities that IMO would have been much more
convenient to many more people. In any case, the bottom line is not
having to read about this conference in this or any other forum every
two months, that I would like to see. Where is held, is of no
consequence to me, as I wont be attending any of them regardless of
where is held.

Old September 12th 04, 07:14 AM
Anonymous

Well, that certainly shows YOUR IQ level, now doesn't it, Herr Shelley?

Old September 12th 04, 04:29 PM
BBarlow690

Let's see.

Springfield, by car, is three hours from New York, maybe two hours from Boston,
and a half hour from Hartford. It is seven hours by car from Washington,
presuming you don't fly into Hartford/Springfield airport, that is served by
Southwest, American, United, Delta, Continental, Northwest, and even Lufthansa,
to name a few. I've ridden Amtrak through Springfield from Brattleboro to
Washington, and it was delightful.

Yup, Jorge, Springfield's pretty inconvenient to just about anybody.
Especially compared to Vegas (hours by car from anywhere, and fails to satisfy
a desire on the part of many to have it on the east coast), Charleston (how
many hours from Atlanta?), and even Chicago (I lived there for about 40 years
-- it's two hours from Milwaukee, I guess...three from Indianapolis, and an
hour-plus from Hinckley and Big Rock). I can clearly see how those places are
"much more convenient to many more people," as you put it. Perhaps you should
look at a map?

I think even Steve has figured out that these are also good places, but just
not for next year. Maybe he'll do 2005 on the east coast, and then work his
way back across the midwest in subsequent years? Maybe alternating with Santa
Fe and Monterey, which are both wonderful places to go, too? That's probably
what I would do.

And it also seems that from the message traffic, there a a lot of folks who
would love it have it in their back yards, just not you and Shelly, and I'm
sure a few more.

Like it or not, Steve's conference is about all we have as a venue to get
together and share our mutual passion for LF photography. Yup, Steve probably
breaks even on the conference with good attendance, and might actually make a
buck or two if attendance is REALLY good, but he doesn't get rich off it. I
have no problem with him polling us to ask where we'd like to have it, and then
announcing a decision. I won't even mind a reminder now and again.

Springfield. Not to mention that you're forgetting the Basketball Hall of
Fame. Not to mention that there are wonderful places to photograph within 20
minutes of the conference site.

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful contribution. We all look forward to
attending the LF conference that you put together.

Old September 12th 04, 04:30 PM
Jorge Gasteazoro

I think you dont get where I am comming from, simmons's post is in
APUG, largeformatphotography, he would place it a photo.net, but they
now erase his posts the moment they see them. Out of the three sites,
Springfield was mentioned only once. If you do check all previous
posts about the "conference" you will see he asks for opinions and
then decides on a venue that nobody proposed. This is nothing more
than free advertising for a business venture. I think there is a time
when enough is enough. He now has a forum, let him anounce his
business ventures there. His "free" stuff, is nothing more than BS. I
am a chemist, if I go to a chemical conference, I expect to meet other
chemists for "free", the same way I expect to see the latest lab
equipment for "free" and if I happ`ne to meet other chemists I get
along with, I would most likely go tour the town with them. Where is
the free stuff simmons keeps pushing in front of our faces?....Now I
have tried to answer to you in a mature manner, I hope you have the
same courtesy. Finally, I think you are right, I probably would have a
great time with Shelly, at least we both understand the meaning of
courtesy.

Old September 12th 04, 09:54 PM
CamArtsMag

from Jorge

he would place it a photo.net, but they
now erase his posts the moment they see them

Once again you are mispeaking. I have not posted on photo net for years and to
my knowledge you can not erase a post that is not made. Once again Jorge comes
on and shows truth and accuracy do not matter to him nor does checking things
out before he makes a post.

As for Springfield not being mentioned please be aware that not all of the
world's communication passes in front of your face Jorge. Lots of e-mails,
phone calls and face to face conversations happen that you are not aware of at
all.

steve simmons

steve simmons

Old September 13th 04, 01:18 AM
Ted Harris

I usually ignorre these goofy threads but I was another who lobbied strongly
for the Northeast and lauded Springfield as a possible venue.
Ted Harris
Resource Strategy
Henniker, New Hampshire